SASS Wire Forum

Maybe some good news for you rural cowpokes

Pat Riot

Satellite internet coming soon....

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/amazon-spacexs-new-home-internet-services-will-reportedly-save-americans-30-billion-annually/amp/

I cannot believe the number of satellites Amazon and SpaceX will launch...

We already have it. Hughes net and some other one and they both stink.

I run a hotspot off Verizon when and where I have cell phone reception on the ranch.

Can’t wait! Our internet service is barely usable most of the time and when it rains it doesn’t work for days. Hughes is going to be put out of the internet business when this system comes on line. 

We have fiber optic internet here now and it’s fine. Everybody I know who has had Satellite internet has been disappointed.

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

We have fiber optic internet here now and it’s fine. Everybody I know who has had Satellite internet has been disappointed.

Wish we could get it here but we can’t. This new satellite system sounds promising. Our only internet now is a radio relay.

That's just what we need.  Another 8,000 satellites zipping around in low Earth orbit.  And who is going to collect up all this space junk when the next generation satellite comes out?

We should have fiber by the end of June.  Currently have Direct TV & DSL.  The DSL is too slow at times to use on-demand or Netflix.  The local phone co. is owned by the county and they have been proactive in using FCC funds to improve communications services. Several years back they installed fiber along the major roads & installed a fiber to copper box 2 miles away which allowed them to offer DSL service here..  This year they are installing fiber along the side roads.  I think the phone co's in CA either don't have access to the FCC funds or don't care about rural customers.  My daughter lives in Calaveras Cnty. & the only way to get video or high speed internet is via satellite services.  Where she is they only get 1-2 bar cell reception due to the surrounding hills.   Using a cell phone for internet is so slooooow!

21 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

We should have fiber by the end of June.  Currently have Direct TV & DSL.  The DSL is too slow at times to use on-demand or Netflix.  The local phone co. is owned by the county and they have been proactive in using FCC funds to improve communications services. Several years back they installed fiber along the major roads & installed a fiber to copper box 2 miles away which allowed them to offer DSL service here..  This year they are installing fiber along the side roads.  I think the phone co's in CA either don't have access to the FCC funds or don't care about rural customers.  My daughter lives in Calaveras Cnty. & the only way to get video or high speed internet is via satellite services.  Where she is they only get 1-2 bar cell reception due to the surrounding hills.   Using a cell phone for internet is so slooooow!

I own nine acres down here and AT&T, Mediacom (cable tv) have trespass rights for their fiber optic lines and cable lines about 450 feet south of my house and they will not run service to the house and they say they never will service that area. 

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

I own nine acres down here and AT&T, Mediacom (cable tv) have trespass rights for their fiber optic lines and cable lines about 450 feet south of my house and they will not run service to the house and they say they never will service that area. 

:angry:

Kinder Morgan Energy has a CO2 plant about a mile north of us. Last year they needed fiber optic for their operation so they laid a line up from the highway about 6 miles. The county permitted it as long as they ran branches to all the homes in the area. We only had DSL before and it really sucked. 

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

:angry:

Kinder Morgan Energy has a CO2 plant about a mile north of us. Last year they needed fiber optic for their operation so they laid a line up from the highway about 6 miles. The county permitted it as long as they ran branches to all the homes in the area. We only had DSL before and it really sucked. 

Great job by the county. The wireless internet we have gets really iffy when it rains and the site that they service us from is on Palomar Mountain and is a solar powered site. We lost internet a couple of times this winter for 3 or 4 days. We’ve had Hughes and had issues with it also.

On 5/11/2019 at 2:00 PM, Yul Lose said:

AT&T & cable TV co's won't spend their investor's money to serve low customer density areas; poor return on investment.  They could get uncle sugar to fund it; but, they don't apply for the funds.  After the Ridge Fire in Amador & Calaveras counties a couple of years ago AT&T hung on power poles wireless base stations in the burn areas.  After the destroyed phone lines were replaced the base stations were removed.

Archived