SASS Wire Forum

3 Plainsman Stages from 2019 CA State Championship

This episode covers all 3 Stages of the Plainsman Side Match from the CA State Championship last month.  

I also go over the gear I use for Plainsman.  I’m wondering what y’all use.  Particularly what Rifle you like and why.  

There is one club here that puts on a Plainsman match once a year, but in order to get more shooters, it's modified to include smokeless ammo and cartridge revolvers. :mellow: Rifle targets are small, 6-8", and set way out to the end of the bay - between 80 - 100 yards.

I have several suitable rifles, but have almost always used an NEF "Handy Rifle" .45-70 w/ejector and deep seated 405's over a reduced charge of BP. Why? Because it's relatively fast, very accurate, and has an ejector. ;)

Great vid Jed..........Luv' the plainsman..I use ROA'S  & H &  R Handi Rifle 38-55 ejector [ keep the rifle on the shoulder, grab as many rounds as I can & go for it...have a  lever shotgun that am also going to start using. We have our state titles coming up in July & expecting around 40-50 shooters..Plainsman is a hoot !!!!

Great vid. as usual Jedi!  On your Sharps empty brass check the head of your case, if you have a scratch across it (bet you do) its caused by the hammer riding the firing pin and your a gonna break your firing pin by not half cocking before you work the lever to reload. If you already knew this, sorry to bring it up! If not now you know!  Look forward to your next video!   SCJ

On 5/15/2019 at 3:24 AM, Silver Creek Jack said:

Great vid. as usual Jedi!  On your Sharps empty brass check the head of your case, if you have a scratch across it (bet you do) its caused by the hammer riding the firing pin and your a gonna break your firing pin by not half cocking before you work the lever to reload. If you already knew this, sorry to bring it up! If not now you know!  Look forward to your next video!   SCJ

Yep, I’ve heard that (actually I mentioned it in this video).  I don’t have any scratches on my brass... But, I am not taking chances, I’m working on changing my muscle memory to cock the hammer before working the lever to eject the brass.  It’s a very different... But, with time and effort I’ll get it down.  

Glad you’re enjoying the episodes!  

On 5/14/2019 at 5:20 PM, David Balthazar said:

Another awesome video!  Now I want a Sharps!!

Glad I could help.  :D

On 5/15/2019 at 1:44 AM, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Great vid Jed..........Luv' the plainsman..I use ROA'S  & H &  R Handi Rifle 38-55 ejector [ keep the rifle on the shoulder, grab as many rounds as I can & go for it...have a  lever shotgun that am also going to start using. We have our state titles coming up in July & expecting around 40-50 shooters..Plainsman is a hoot !!!!

I like Plainsman too!  Looking forward to the Oregon State Championship coming up the first weekend in June.  I’ll have the cameras rollin’ there!!

Archived