SASS Wire Forum

$120 for a screwknife??

That's insane.

I carry a screwdriver set in my gun cart, but I thought a decent, vintage looking screwdriver would look nice on my belt, so...

... I took a bit of a walkabout the place yesterday and found a small mulie shed that was suitable, then turned out a screwdriver shaft on the ol' Jet lathe from a grade 8 bolt, gave it a square hollow ground tip, drilled & threaded a hole in the antler, a bit of JB Weld, a piece of 1/2" copper pipe fitting for a ferrule, and *presto*, a $120 screwdriver. :)

100_2544.JPG

Put er on Ebay. Starting bid  $85 :lol:

Be careful.  Mr. Redwing is very protective of his product,

I know a guy down here that makes them out of old files and gets $85.00 for them. That being said, that’s a very nice screw knife.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

I use a small screwdriver Done. and  with the money I save I buy reloading components. Why  some make this so complicated is beyond me.

I know, right? It's a friggin' SCREWDRIVER, albeit with a bit of antler glued on for a handle... for a hundred and twenty bucks?? :blink:

But then again... back in '75, there was a fellow named Gary Dahl, who put a rock in a small cardboard box, call it a Pet Rock, sold five million of them for $3.95 each, and netted a cool fifteen million dollars, so...

20 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

But then again... back in '75, there was a fellow named Gary Dahl, who put a rock in a small cardboard box, call it a Pet Rock, sold five million of them for $3.95 each, and netted a cool fifteen million dollars, so...

I know a guy who bought them all in an attempt to corner the market ,Turned out to be a bad deal so he used them to build a walkway. :FlagAm:

6 hours ago, Noz said:

Be careful.  Mr. Redwing is very protective of his product,

"Mr Redwing's" products are quite nice, indeed ~ albeit pricey!

That said, he may have copyrighted the name... but I don't think you can patent a simple thing like a screwdriver.  :rolleyes:

The screw knife sold by Redwing is not your ordinary screwdriver. If you ever see one you can easily tell the difference. The shaft is about the thickness of a butterknife It tapers in width till you finally reach the hollow ground screwdriver portion of the blade.

Its secondary purpose is as a screwdriver its primary purpose is to facilitate clearing jams. Specifically toggle link actions like the 66 and 73.. The thin narrow blade allows you to reach down through the action and correct a double feed condition by coaxing the offending round back into the magazine tube. Something that an ordinary screwdriver cannot due because the typical shaft is too thick.

Its blade like shape also makes it easier to lift the extractor off of a fresh round when the previous spent case failed to extract. Once you have the round off the bolt face you can push the carrier back down and use the screwdriver tip to extract the stuck case from the chamber.

The shaft is about the thickness of a butterknife It tapers in width till you finally reach the hollow ground screwdriver portion of the blade.

I've seen them before, but it never, ever occurred to me that one would carry a price tag of $120. :blink: With the fancy Fleur-de-lis bolster and end cap inlays, or eagle head carving, etc., it certainly drives the price up from what a plain antler tip and a simple ferrule would be.

All the pictures I can find show a standard taper grind, which makes sense, as the blade just isn't thick enough for a hollow grind square tip.

Maybe I'll find an old V spring in the parts box, or broken pocket knife and make one one of these days. ;)

5 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

And I bought one...Best pet I ever had...

Texas Lizard

7 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I know, right? It's a friggin' SCREWDRIVER, albeit with a bit of antler glued on for a handle... for a hundred and twenty bucks?? :blink:

Bet he could get $150 if he changed the antler to unicorn...

Texas Lizard

13 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Some 20 plus years back I remember reading about a midwestern gal (Kansas, Oklahoma, somewhere...) selling tumbleweeds to city folks back east. City folks thought they were neat decorations. She sold small, medium, and large. All she'd do is walk a fence line and pick them up, box them up and ship them. Seems like I remember the prices being stupid high and she sold a ton of them!

45 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Some 20 plus years back I remember reading about a midwestern gal (Kansas, Oklahoma, somewhere...) selling tumbleweeds to city folks back east. City folks thought they were neat decorations. She sold small, medium, and large. All she'd do is walk a fence line and pick them up, box them up and ship them. Seems like I remember the prices being stupid high and she sold a ton of them!

Fools and their money are easily parted

I build these type of "screws knives" out of industrial hacksaw blades.I cut the blades to the shape I want with a stub tang and mount them in a piece of mule deer antler with brass bolster and butt cap.

Only costs me a little time and material I  have laying the shop.Looks kinda cowboy too

My small  dollar  screw driver does all of the above magic and fits in my pocket. ;)

Boonabs: 2 pieces of blue plastic insulated copper wire about an inch long with a matching liquid plastic cap on each end.

Gar-0N-teed in writing to be totally useless.

Forty nine cents each, two for a dollar.

Sold like garbage pail kids only about twenty-five years earlier.

20 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Boonabs: 2 pieces of blue plastic insulated copper wire about an inch long with a matching liquid plastic cap on each end.

Gar-0N-teed in writing to be totally useless.

Forty nine cents each, two for a dollar.

Sold like garbage pail kids only about twenty-five years earlier.

????  What what what?

On 5/11/2019 at 7:57 AM, Buffalo Bill Mathewson, 37826 said:

I done without one for 15+ years. The one time I needed one the RO handed me his and I spent more time clearing the jam on the clock than the misses would have cost me.

The important question then is did you shoot clean?

4 hours ago, Red Eye Jim said:

The important question then is did you shoot clean?

Clean what’s clean? What is clean when you compare spending 60+ seconds to clear a jam or having 5 to 50 seconds in misses. If you can clear a rifle jam in less than 60 seconds you have been doing it too much and need a good gunsmith or need to learn how to reload good ammo.

Archived