SASS Wire Forum

“Marlin Jam” - one solution

Leo303

“Marlin Jam” 

Re: 2001 Marlin 1894 CB Ltd, w/24” octagon Barrel.

I purchased this rifle ~ Feb. 2012 for CAS. It came with 500 Rds of handloaded 38 Spl ammo, 1.53” LOA w/ conical bullets. (I kept these special 500 Rds in reserve.) Instead using Georgia Arms 158 Gr. RNFP 'Canned Heat' (1.43” LOA) for practice and matches.

Before me, this rifle had been worked on by a couple of CAS gunsmiths, making it VERY smooooth. It Previously had a one piece firing pin installed, the lever cam surface was rounded where it contacted the carrier, the main spring and trigger spring were lightened and the action was VERY WELL polished. When working the lever, the sights NEVER moved!! It was amazing :-)

In May 2014 had a jam with I attributed to the rifle being 'dry'. Cleaned lubed and range tested → Sat. Ran along fine until Sep. 2017. Locked up with the special handloaded 1.53” LOA w/ conical bullets, BUT the 158 Gr. RNFP 'Canned Heat' 1.43” LOA ran fine ??? → did the clean & lube thing again range tested → Sat. 

In Apr 2019 the rifle did the classic 'Marlin Jam' in 5 of the 6 stages at our monthly match. (26 'misses in that match.)

Disassembled and inspected → there was a slight line on the bottom cam surface of the carrier. So I had a friend put a weld bead in the area, brought it home a ground the weld down. In the course of which, I ground a little off the rivet (teat) in the middle area of the carrier – i.e. it's now hosed-up.

I called Marlin (Remington.) They were a little vague. Called Brownells about a 'new and improved' carrier (P/N 550-514-561) they had carried several year back . . .but don't carry it now.   (See pix at: http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin_1894_Carrier.htm)

After looking in several forums for Marlin 1894 info, I found a reference to a Midway part number: 727646 at; 

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/586991-1894cs-issues-carrier-ammo.html By 'Marlin44shooter.'

Ordered, installed and range tested it. Every .38 Spl and .357 round put through it loaded and fired without a hitch :-))

The P/N 727646 looked exactly like the 'new and improved' carrier P/N 550-514-561 that Brownell's had previously carried. It is full faced and a higher cam area. Recommended!

Carry on,

Jack Hays (SASS alias)

I like these posts with the end result/fix to a problem...so many keep going with no final solution that worked from the OP

3 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You could send your carrier to Gunner Gatlin and have it fixed permanently.

The best advice is to send the old one off to Gunner to get fixed.  Then when the new one acts up, you'll have one as backup. 

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Gunner's fix is the best.

I have seen more than one new carrier, that was borderline 'marlin-jam' out of the package. 

New part is not always the best fix.

OLG

Agree with Lumpy.  

I actually put a NEW carrier (bout 2 years ago) into an 1894 and it was worse than the worn original carrier.

JACK:  if you intend to shoot the short OAL ammo, ask Gunner to give you about a .005 increase in height of your

carrier ramp.   If you intend to use the 1.5+ OAL ammo, the factory ramp degree would be sufficient for your timing,

although the slight increase of .005 could benefit you, regardless of OAL of your ammo.

One other thing:   Most of the info given out on the Marlinowners website is information mostly learned from

Cowboys and Cowboy gunsmiths.   Thats why those fellers recommended Marauders website.

For Marlin issues, you could probably get most answers here on the Wire.

And if some of us don't know the answer..... we'll make something up.......and then blame it on LUMPY..... :lol:;)

..........Widder  (Widowmaker on Marauders website)

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I always tell everydangbody that you taught me everydangthing I don't  know. :lol::P

OLG

Great minds think alike..... ;)

..........Widder

I've seen severl references to bending the carrier rather than welding or installing an insert. Someone stated this is the way the Marlin factory adjusted carrier timing. 

Marlin002.jpg

This picture waa lifted from the Marlin Owners Forum. 

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/jams-all-kinds/34992-tweaking-1894-carrier.html

I have an old Marlin 1893 that needs the carrier adjusted.  I may give this method a try.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've seen severl references to bending the carrier rather than welding or installing an insert. Someone stated this is the way the Marlin factory adjusted carrier timing. 

Marlin002.jpg

This picture waa lifted from the Marlin Owners Forum. 

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/jams-all-kinds/34992-tweaking-1894-carrier.html

I have an old Marlin 1893 that needs the carrier adjusted.  I may give this method a try.

You will only need to 'raise' the carriers nose .035-.040 to stop the Marlin Jam.

OLG

WARNING:

Bending the front of the carrier upwards is effective BUT, if the tongue on the front of the carrier has worn

down or if it has been rounded on the edges, it can become ineffective in its purpose to keep the following

round in the portal area from coming out when the carrier rises.

That tongue is THE ONLY thing in the rifle that keeps rounds from moving out of the portal and going UNDER

the carrier when cycling a round into the chamber.

The 'TONGUE' is that frontal portion of the carrier that sticks out of the bottom of the receiver when the action

is closed and the carrier is in its down position.

If you bend the carrier and create this problem, you will have to get a good welder to add and reshape some steel

onto the tongue without ruining it.

That is why those who have dealt with these issues before have a general consensus that building up the carrier

ramp is the more efficient method to correct timing........and Gunner Gatlins method is as good and permanent

as any I have seen and used.

..........Widder

Hi Jabez, 

I also have a Rossi 92, bui;t in the 80s (I think.) 

On top of barrel ".38 Spl - 357 Mag",

On top of Tang "Amadeo Rossi S.A. Made in Brazil"

On Receiver right side:  "Model 92 SRC", "Interarms", "Alexandria Virginia" and  "K 080504". 

Any guess as to the year manufactured???  (Rossi people were not helpful.) 

Have gone thru approx. 10 disassemble / polish / file / reassemble cycles and still needs work.  This is the roughest action and poorest fitting rifle I have ever seen.  I use it for deer hunting.  Off the three lever action .357 Mags (two Marlin 94s and the Rossi) this is the most accurate.  :-)) 

Thanks all,

Leo  ("Jack Hays")

Hi Widder, 

Concur with you advice.  I also have a 1989 Marlin model 1894 CS that developed a "Marlin Jam".  I fixed that one with a filed down jig saw blade w/ JB weld on the carrier ramp area.  It now works fine with all LOA .38 Spl and 357 Mag cartridges.  :-))

Thank you, 

Leo ("Jack Hays") 

19 hours ago, Leo303 said:

Hi Widder, 

Concur with you advice.  I also have a 1989 Marlin model 1894 CS that developed a "Marlin Jam".  I fixed that one with a filed down jig saw blade w/ JB weld on the carrier ramp area.  It now works fine with all LOA .38 Spl and 357 Mag cartridges.  :-))

Thank you, 

Leo ("Jack Hays") 

Don't expect the epoxy to hold for long.

Oil will weaken epoxy, and the shock/vibration of firing will let it loose at some point.

OLG

Your time will come........:lol:

You just jinked yourownself.;)

Grits - Never gonna happen: Never owned one - never shot one and never gonna buy one ... Carry On :P

except for a  couple of JM Marlin Ballard falling block single shots - The Real Marlins :D

Archived