SASS Wire Forum

Aguila Minishells for Coach Gun

bgavin

I'm looking at the Aguila Minishells #1C128968 in 12-gauge 7 1/2, specifically for the Stoeger coach gun.

These are 1  3/4" shells and 5/8 oz loads of #7.5 shot at 1200 fps.
Next closest is Winchester AA 0.92 oz loads of #8 shot at 980 fps.
In a 6.5 pound SxS, I calculate the recoil as 9.96 and 11.95 lbs, respectively.

The intent is finding the lowest possible recoil energy shot shell as I ease my wife into the sport.

Federal has mini shells now too .. 1 3/4 - 15/16oz - 1145 fps ... clear disc rolled ... very cute ..  

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-shorty-shotshell-12-ga-ammo-8-shot-sh1298-p-109113.aspx

The only issue w/ the shorties I could possibly think of ... would be getting a hold of them at your shotgun belt ... and keeping a hold of them as you rolled them into the chambers ... :ph34r:

If you want light loads, either you or a pard ought to be loading your own full-length 2 3/4" hulls with 3/4 ounce of shot at about 1000 FPS.  Now THAT will be a light load.  Extra Lite powder would be your friend for that, too.   Although tons of ladies have started and stayed with those Win AA featherlites.

Most of getting recoil impact down to a minimum for a lady starting out is:

* shorten the butt stock

* put a negative 7 degree pitch on the recoil pad  (the toe of stock shorter than the heel)

* use a good recoil pad (like a Kick-Eez 1" thick)

* make sure she keeps shotgun butt tight against the shoulder, and her head down on stock comb, when shooting.

Good luck, GJ

The Aguila's are pricy - $20/20 at Sportsman's Warehouse and other storefront retailers, and the cheapest I've seen them online is $8.94/20 + shipping - free shipping if you order 17+ boxes. (free shipping on $150+ order)

https://www.survivorsparadise.com/index.php?rt=product/product&product_id=177366&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn8_mBRCLARIsAKxi0GIID3wYTy2xlkG5RYLmeyOR1TCh0NUI86Z_Qq6nzGXml8p_Js_7Dy4aAs7lEALw_wcB#64a942b72215c8a687b4130f5c386e10

28 minutes ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

The mini shells are a pain in your shotshell belt and loading them in the gun.

Try the Federal Sub-Sonic loads at 900 fps

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If you want light loads, either you or a pard ought to be loading your own with 3/4 ounce of shot at about 1000 FPS.  Now THAT will be a light load.  Extra Lite powder would be your friend for that, too.   Although tons of ladies have started and stayed with those Win AA featherlites.

* shorten the butt stock

* put a negative 7 degree pitch on the recoil pad  (the toe of stock shorter than the heel)

* make sure she keeps shotgun butt tight against the shoulder, and her head down on stock comb, when shooting.

Good luck, GJ

Without doing the above ultra-lite shells are a waste of time. An improperly fitted shotgun is no fun to shoot.

Lightest published loads I have ever found. 13.2 grains of 700X, Claybuster 0175-12 wad in an STS hull with a chedite 209 primer. Right at 1000 fps giving this load less felt recoil than a AA featherlite yet they have worked on every KD my wife has used them against.

If you use a Winchester 209 primer the fps is about 1070 and with a Federal 209A they are about 1150 fps

Mini-shells are frustrating for CAS as they are too hard to load on the clock,

i shoot estate 1oz, 2 3/4 dram... nice light recoil for my doubles and shucks out well too

had a new shooter at last months match show up with 3" birdshot, after the first two went off, the r.o. stopped him... we pitched in some shells for him to use... boy was that impressive to hear go off inside our line shack!!! lol

bgavin, I just shot the 4-Corners regional.  There were seven ladies on our posse, none of them young.  Six of them were smokeless shooters and all six used those Winchester AA 0.92 oz loads of #8 shot at 980 fps (nicknamed featherlights).  Most of the men on our posse were shooting them too.  They are highly favored in CAS.   Find a local retailer selling them by the case or an online vendor who sells with free shipping and buy five cases.  Then get the $2/box rebate.  Your out-of-pocket expense per box will be no more than you would pay of inexpensive, higher-recoiling shells from a big box retailer.  If your wife doesn't like them you surely will.

I did just that, and bought a case of the AA in 0.92 oz loads.

I'm just looking around at other options to try before the July 1 mandatory background checks ($25) and safety course ($25) for ammo go into effect in CA.
We are new to the sport, and I'm afraid if she gets a bad taste for coach gun recoil, she will back out and not shoot at all...

Q:  how many 12-gauge rounds does a typical shooter go through at a typical match?  I literally have no idea.

47 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Q:  how many 12-gauge rounds does a typical shooter go through at a typical match?  I literally have no idea

Plan on 30 rounds per match per shooter.  Most matches will have 24 shotgun targets in a 6 stage match. However, if you figure on a make up or two plus enough to have your SG belt full at the beginning of the last stage then 30 is a safe number.  I always bring 2 boxes per shooter to every match.

I highly recomend that before her first match that she practice a few rounds on an actual shotgun knock down target. This way she can learn where to aim at a target so that the center of the patern is centered on the target.

58 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I'm just looking around at other options to try before the July 1 mandatory background checks ($25) and safety course ($25) for ammo go into effect in CA.
We are new to the sport, and I'm afraid if she gets a bad taste for coach gun recoil, she will back out and not shoot at all...

Q:  how many 12-gauge rounds does a typical shooter go through at a typical match?  I literally have no idea.

Here is how to get $20 back on your purchase: https://winchester.com/Rebates/2019-AA-Loads-Rebate.

I bought a case earlier this year from Bass Pro.

Today, I bought three more cases from Bass Pro.
Free shipping to the store, and a lower price than I can find on the internet or AmmoSearch.
Rebate is effective May 7 thru September 1, $2 per box.

I'm noticing a trend here:  in CA it is less expensive to buy from the big box stores, Sportsmans Warehouse or BassPro, than buying online.
The Stoeger Supreme Coach is quite a bit less expensive at S.W. than anywhere else.. no FFL fees, no shipping charges.
CA collects sales tax in all cases, so that is a wash.

Besides the kickeez, a mercury recoil reducer in the buttstock helps tremendously.  Of course, cutting the stock to proper length and "nose over toes" will go a long way.  

Having an experienced woman shooter helping to mentor her would be ideal.

When my wife started shooting with me she used a 1897 pump.  She thought it kicked less than a double using the same ammunition.  Another plus is that I was able to order an aftermarket buttstock for the ‘97, cut it way down to fit her and installed a Limbsaver recoil pad.  

My wife had virtually no experience shooting a shotgun.  I agree that proper fit is critical; she had trouble trying to shoot it with the original buttstock but once it fit her it was a different story.  In her next match she dropped every shotgun KD with one shot.  The shotgun went from something she dreaded to something she liked to shoot.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:49 AM, bgavin said:

Does the $25 background check apply to each transaction?

No.

My FFL says at this time, CA is clueless about how to implement it on July 1.
The $25 fee is a mandatory "license" to do repeated background checks, or keep a check record, or ??

Starting July 1, you also have to have a valid Firearm Safety Course certification ($25) along with the background check license.
We have a promising line on a house in AZ now, and hopefully will get away from this baloney before too long.

On 5/9/2019 at 10:11 PM, Patagonia Pete said:

The only issue w/ the shorties I could possibly think of ... would be getting a hold of them at your shotgun belt ... and keeping a hold of them as you rolled them into the chambers ... :ph34r:

+1 on that statement!  My thoughts exactly! ;)

9 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

+1 on that statement!  My thoughts exactly! ;)

Thanks to all for the input on this.
I opted to skip these, in favor of 3 more cases of Winchester AA.

I will make sure the SxS is correctly fitted to my bride's size.
We are very similar in size... just the shape is quite a bit different... B)

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:18 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If you want light loads, either you or a pard ought to be loading your own full-length 2 3/4" hulls with 3/4 ounce of shot at about 1000 FPS.  Now THAT will be a light load.  Extra Lite powder would be your friend for that, too.   Although tons of ladies have started and stayed with those Win AA featherlites.

* shorten the butt stock

Good luck, GJ

Pards;

Have you ever studied what happens when a shotgun with a Negative toe is fired ,,,, Using high speed photography you will see the butt recoil up-wards slamming the top of the comb into the cheek ....

Shotgun fit is very important for ladies but I suggest this is not the answer ...

I can handle recoil rather well , One day I fired 68 rounds from the bench while "Regulating" a 470 Nitro Express , that was when I called it finished ,,,, Or should I say that was my limit ....

But if a gun is recoiling the Comb up into my face my limit with 12 gage normal target loads is two shots ..... 40 some years ago I took a lesson on Stock fitting from Rigby and they stressed not to use Negative Pitch ..

Jabez Cowboy

Archived