Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Biscuit SASS#108048

Side match pistol caliber rifle long range

Recommended Posts

For the long range pistol caliber rifle match, is a 357/38 better than 45 LC, or vice versa? 

Thanks 

Biscuit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One isn't better than the other. Pistol caliber rifle match is not pin point accuracy, just bang the target as fast as you can. I use my main match loads.

38 spec., 105 grain bullet around 850 fps. I won the Eastern Divisional pistol caliber rifle side match with that load a couple years back, that was at Thurmont.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I was kinda hoping you'd say I needed another caliber so I could justify another rifle, but I guess I just need to practice long range more with my match rifle

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You MUST have a .44-40 to win that competition.

 

 

I'm only saying that because I assume you don't have that caliber and I'm trying to help you justify a new rifle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Locally we shoot this match out to 280 yards.  I do well with a 158 grain bullet in a .357 cartridge.  I get by without gas-checked bullets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The LR matches  I have shot here in SE Kansas are all about accuracy, usually decided by the # of bullseyes after the course is compleated. Ranges are 100  150  and 200 yards.  I love my Marlin CB  .357 mag. rifle with 140 grain rnfp. amazing how accurate this cartridge is!    SCJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

The LR matches  I have shot here in SE Kansas are all about accuracy, usually decided by the # of bullseyes after the course is compleated. Ranges are 100  150  and 200 yards.  I love my Marlin CB  .357 mag. rifle with 140 grain rnfp. amazing how accurate this cartridge is!    SCJ

it was a treat to watch you shoot it too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

it was a treat to watch you shoot it too!

Thank you H D that was a great shoot, enjoyed shooting it! Glad you could make it!  SCJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to shoot long-range pistol cal lever out to a whopping 400 yards, but in just a few years, it devolved into a close-range speed match at 35-50 yards. :( I haven't shot it since.

 

At long ranges, the heavier the bullet, the better. I had a 24" Rossi '92 .45 Colt that I experimented with some loads using a 405 grain bullet (sized down to .452", of course) that had to be single loaded cuz they were too long to feed. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Ya all Knows that Ya need a .38 WCF fer this event ....

A Low Wall 30 inch barrel fer Single shot pistol caliber , and 66 Sporting Rifle fer Lever Action pistol Caliber ,,, both in .38wcf ....

 

Jabez Cowboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You MUST have a .44-40 to win that competition.

 

 

I'm only saying that because I assume you don't have that caliber and I'm trying to help you justify a new rifle.

And use a full load of real black powder...Style points...

 

Texas Lizard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

The LR matches  I have shot here in SE Kansas are all about accuracy, usually decided by the # of bullseyes after the course is compleated. Ranges are 100  150  and 200 yards.  I love my Marlin CB  .357 mag. rifle with 140 grain rnfp. amazing how accurate this cartridge is!    SCJ

 

I want to work up some loads for my 94 CB with 357 cases and 140 TCFP bullets. I have Hodgden Clays and Universal powder. What is your load if you care to share.

Thanks, Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure Joe, glad to share,  6 gr. Of trailboss  behind a 140 gr. # 14   bullet from Missouri Bullets. Shoots very accurately out of my Marlin.  SCJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

We used to shoot long-range pistol cal lever out to a whopping 400 yards, but in just a few years, it devolved into a close-range speed match at 35-50 yards. :( I haven't shot it since.

 

At long ranges, the heavier the bullet, the better. I had a 24" Rossi '92 .45 Colt that I experimented with some loads using a 405 grain bullet (sized down to .452", of course) that had to be single loaded cuz they were too long to feed. :lol:

Wow, what a shame, don't know how  30-50 yrds constitutes a long range match, don't blame you I would have walked too! Lol, bet that load looked funny too!  SCJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, didn't realize it varied so much   but I like non standard things!  For you guys shooting 200 + yards, are you still using the buckhorn sights?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long range side matches vary a lot and usually depend on what is available to the club related to distance and firing line. Best to check the course of fire (distances and number of rounds) before heading to a long range side match. 

Scout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iron Biscuit SASS#108048 said:

Wow, didn't realize it varied so much   but I like non standard things!  For you guys shooting 200 + yards, are you still using the buckhorn sights?

I use a tang-mounted, Marbles peep sight on a 24-inch barreled '92 Winchester clone.   I removed the buckhorn sight long ago.  BTW, my wife now shoots the same rifle in side matches and loves it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iron Biscuit SASS#108048 said:

Wow, didn't realize it varied so much   but I like non standard things!  For you guys shooting 200 + yards, are you still using the buckhorn sights?

I had either a Lyman #2 or Marbles tang sight on my '92. I use the same sight on my .38-55 Legendary Frontiersman for rifle cal long range, which we still shoot out to around 250 yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much wishful thinking by the tiny bullet fans BUT truth be known I bring this up because I did saw it with my own two eyes.  A might near 500 yard one shot perfect kill on a charging Buff made by not other than Kevin Costner with a lowly 44 from the one and only champion of BP big bores, a Henry Rifle and this was performed while mounted on horseback uhhh Kevin was mounted not the Buff!  But then, every one would feel like a champion when belching smoke from a .44Henry, whether iron frame or brass!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

You MUST have a .44-40 to win that competition.

Stop over to my reloading room and look at all the certificates on the wall for long range pistol caliber ... using 45 Colt ammo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Stop over to my reloading room and look at all the certificates on the wall for long range pistol caliber ... using 45 Colt ammo

 

Apparently you either  didn't read the whole post or didn't understand the part in italics, that was meant completely as a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 3:20 PM, Iron Biscuit SASS#108048 said:

Wow, didn't realize it varied so much   but I like non standard things!  For you guys shooting 200 + yards, are you still using the buckhorn sights?

I use Marbles Tang sights and a single post hooded front sight usually by Lyman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Boy said:

Stop over to my reloading room and look at all the certificates on the wall for long range pistol caliber ... using 45 Colt ammo

 

3 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

 

Apparently you either  didn't read the whole post or didn't understand the part in italics, that was meant completely as a joke.

Probably nobody shooting .44-40... ;) :ph34r: :D :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.