SASS Wire Forum

Side match pistol caliber rifle long range

One isn't better than the other. Pistol caliber rifle match is not pin point accuracy, just bang the target as fast as you can. I use my main match loads.

38 spec., 105 grain bullet around 850 fps. I won the Eastern Divisional pistol caliber rifle side match with that load a couple years back, that was at Thurmont.

You MUST have a .44-40 to win that competition.

I'm only saying that because I assume you don't have that caliber and I'm trying to help you justify a new rifle.

Locally we shoot this match out to 280 yards.  I do well with a 158 grain bullet in a .357 cartridge.  I get by without gas-checked bullets.

The LR matches  I have shot here in SE Kansas are all about accuracy, usually decided by the # of bullseyes after the course is compleated. Ranges are 100  150  and 200 yards.  I love my Marlin CB  .357 mag. rifle with 140 grain rnfp. amazing how accurate this cartridge is!    SCJ

2 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

The LR matches  I have shot here in SE Kansas are all about accuracy, usually decided by the # of bullseyes after the course is compleated. Ranges are 100  150  and 200 yards.  I love my Marlin CB  .357 mag. rifle with 140 grain rnfp. amazing how accurate this cartridge is!    SCJ

it was a treat to watch you shoot it too!

1 minute ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

it was a treat to watch you shoot it too!

Thank you H D that was a great shoot, enjoyed shooting it! Glad you could make it!  SCJ

We used to shoot long-range pistol cal lever out to a whopping 400 yards, but in just a few years, it devolved into a close-range speed match at 35-50 yards. :( I haven't shot it since.

At long ranges, the heavier the bullet, the better. I had a 24" Rossi '92 .45 Colt that I experimented with some loads using a 405 grain bullet (sized down to .452", of course) that had to be single loaded cuz they were too long to feed. :lol:

Well Ya all Knows that Ya need a .38 WCF fer this event ....

A Low Wall 30 inch barrel fer Single shot pistol caliber , and 66 Sporting Rifle fer Lever Action pistol Caliber ,,, both in .38wcf ....

Jabez Cowboy

3 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'm only saying that because I assume you don't have that caliber and I'm trying to help you justify a new rifle.

And use a full load of real black powder...Style points...

Texas Lizard

13 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

I want to work up some loads for my 94 CB with 357 cases and 140 TCFP bullets. I have Hodgden Clays and Universal powder. What is your load if you care to share.

Thanks, Joe

Sure Joe, glad to share,  6 gr. Of trailboss  behind a 140 gr. # 14   bullet from Missouri Bullets. Shoots very accurately out of my Marlin.  SCJ

16 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

We used to shoot long-range pistol cal lever out to a whopping 400 yards, but in just a few years, it devolved into a close-range speed match at 35-50 yards. :( I haven't shot it since.

At long ranges, the heavier the bullet, the better. I had a 24" Rossi '92 .45 Colt that I experimented with some loads using a 405 grain bullet (sized down to .452", of course) that had to be single loaded cuz they were too long to feed. :lol:

Wow, what a shame, don't know how  30-50 yrds constitutes a long range match, don't blame you I would have walked too! Lol, bet that load looked funny too!  SCJ

Long range side matches vary a lot and usually depend on what is available to the club related to distance and firing line. Best to check the course of fire (distances and number of rounds) before heading to a long range side match. 

Scout

1 hour ago, Iron Biscuit SASS#108048 said:

Wow, didn't realize it varied so much   but I like non standard things!  For you guys shooting 200 + yards, are you still using the buckhorn sights?

I use a tang-mounted, Marbles peep sight on a 24-inch barreled '92 Winchester clone.   I removed the buckhorn sight long ago.  BTW, my wife now shoots the same rifle in side matches and loves it.

1 hour ago, Iron Biscuit SASS#108048 said:

Wow, didn't realize it varied so much   but I like non standard things!  For you guys shooting 200 + yards, are you still using the buckhorn sights?

I had either a Lyman #2 or Marbles tang sight on my '92. I use the same sight on my .38-55 Legendary Frontiersman for rifle cal long range, which we still shoot out to around 250 yards.

So much wishful thinking by the tiny bullet fans BUT truth be known I bring this up because I did saw it with my own two eyes.  A might near 500 yard one shot perfect kill on a charging Buff made by not other than Kevin Costner with a lowly 44 from the one and only champion of BP big bores, a Henry Rifle and this was performed while mounted on horseback uhhh Kevin was mounted not the Buff!  But then, every one would feel like a champion when belching smoke from a .44Henry, whether iron frame or brass!

Stop over to my reloading room and look at all the certificates on the wall for long range pistol caliber ... using 45 Colt ammo

15 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Stop over to my reloading room and look at all the certificates on the wall for long range pistol caliber ... using 45 Colt ammo

Apparently you either  didn't read the whole post or didn't understand the part in italics, that was meant completely as a joke.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:20 PM, Iron Biscuit SASS#108048 said:

I use Marbles Tang sights and a single post hooded front sight usually by Lyman.

4 hours ago, John Boy said:

3 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Apparently you either  didn't read the whole post or didn't understand the part in italics, that was meant completely as a joke.

Probably nobody shooting .44-40... ;) :ph34r: :D :lol:

Archived