SASS Wire Forum

Sports teams that are arch rivals?

Pro, college, high school?

I don't watch enough pro sports to notice.

As to college sports all teams and fans hate Alabama; especially Auburn.

Lots of rivals in high school sports.

not sure how much it's still true, but Denver Broncos-Oakland Raiders and Colorado Avalanche-Detroit Redwings....

and it's definitely not one any more, but I still haven't forgotten all those years of Nebraska Cornhuskers-Oklahoma Sooners....

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Yes, one of the pairs I thought of was Alabama- Auburn.

Ohio State-Michigan more than Mich State.

There are people in Ohio who count the days from one game to the next. I believe it is the same in parts of Michigan. Of course, the two states did almost go to war at one point.

If I had a daughter, I'd dress her in white and gold

And send her 'round the campus, to charm the brave and bold

And if I had a son, sir, I'll tell you what what he'd do

He would yell TO HELL WITH GEORGIA like his daddy used to do

I'm a ramblin' wreck from Georgia Tech

Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers. Long time rivalry although of late Pittsburgh has been killing the Browns . That may change this year!

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers. Long time rivalry although of late Pittsburgh has been killing the Browns . That may change this year!

Up until last season, everyone was killing the Browns...

Jets and Patriots 

Yankee’s and Red Sox

I was part of that until I was granted political asylum in Georgia.

The Auburn-Alabama thing isn't a rivalry, it's a fact of life around here.  I've heard Alabama explained as a state inhabited by two intermixed, hostile tribes.

It's 365 days of hate that just happens to come to a head one Saturday in November.  It's not just a football rivalry.  If their chess clubs are meeting, it's a sellout just because who is playing. 

I can make older Alabama fans mad just by saying, "Punt 'Bama, Punt," in reference to a Iron Bowl played in the early '70's and it will STILL get a reaction.  Asking them if they have a second because I have something to run by them (a reference to the Kick Six Iron Bowl) steams them, too.

Be aware, if you move to Alabama, you must choose a side.  We don't expect you to put your alma mater to the side or for you to stop supporting the team you've been a fan of your whole life, but neutrality isn't going to cut it.

49 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Up until last season, everyone was killing the Browns...

Yep, you got that right, but the Pitts/Cleve rivarly is still there!!

Army-Navy

’Nuff said. 

As I try to tell my kids when they entered the college football passion pool, a true rivalry is when you cheer for the other team every game of the year except one.  That shows respect.  

My daughter went to Alabama and purely hates Auburn and wishes evil upon them. That rivalry does not count. 

I grew up in Southwest Ohio in the late 60s and 70s during the days of Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler. I  have shouted OH in more than one foreign bar and heard the beautiful response of IO. But I have always cheered for Michigan every day except for THE DAY. 

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I'm a ramblin' wreck from Georgia Tech

When I was growing up, my Uncle Clyde was a Clemson graduate & never let anybody forget it.  My dad received an athletic scholarship bid to GA tech - didn't take it, but that's another story.  When Cousin Ronny was little, Uncle Clyde taught him to respond when asked, "Son, where are you going to college."  Sure enough, with the family assembled around the Thanksgiving day table, the question was posed:  Son, where are you going to college?    Son's response:  Georgia Tech.  Only time in my life I saw Uncle Clyde speechless.  My Dad had had a word, obviously.  Ronny loved his Uncle Bob.

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yep, you got that right, but the Pitts/Cleve rivarly is still there!!

Agreed. And Pittsburgh is one of those teams that make me feel giddy when they lose.

When I was in High School, the real Carolina -- the one in Columbia, SC --  could play.  Both football and basketball.  And were ACC members.  I married into NC.  It took them years to convince me there was a Carolina in Chapel Hill.  I am still pulling for AB(N)C.  My very favorite bumper sticker of all time, seen on a van in the Durham School of the Arts drop-off line:           U NCSU X.  And Let's Go Dook!!

8 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

My daughter went to Alabama and purely hates Auburn and wishes evil upon them. That rivalry does not count.

When UGA and Alabama (Auburn's 2 biggest traditional rivals) played for the National Championship a couple of years ago, I was rooting for the referees.  GO ZEBRAS!!

On the other hand, I will cheer for most SEC teams if they are playing out of conference.  The exceptions are UF and Tennessee. 

If I never hear Rocky Top again, it will be too soon.  Considering that they play the song on every opportunity, (Look!! Smokey woke up from his nap !  And a one and a two...), that's saying a LOT.

12 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I grew up in Southwest Ohio in the late 60s and 70s during the days of Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler. I  have shouted OH in more than one foreign bar and heard the beautiful response of IO. But I have always cheered for Michigan every day except for THE DAY. 

I believe I've mentioned before about my daughter's high school Spanish club in Spain, doing an OH - IO call and response when they were getting separated. I still laugh thinking about it.

Many Buckeye fans want nothing but evil upon Michigan. They will only refer to them as "the team up North" year round. Not me. Aside from the fact that my father-in-law whom I was so close to went to Michigan on a sports scholarship, I want Michigan to be unbeaten going into the GAME. Then, like you, I am cheering for Ohio State.

7 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I believe I've mentioned before about my daughter's high school Spanish club in Spain, doing an OH - IO call and response when they were getting separated. I still laugh thinking about it.

Many Buckeye fans want nothing but evil upon Michigan. They will only refer to them as "the team up North" year round. Not me. Aside from the fact that my father-in-law whom I was so close to went to Michigan on a sports scholarship, I want Michigan to be unbeaten going into the GAME. Then, like you, I am cheering for Ohio State.

It is a special thing to watch your undefeated rival's National Championship dreams be crushed in the biggest game of the season.:D

How many Iron Bowls have decided the National Championship over the last decade or so?:ph34r:

Toronto Maple Leafs vs Montreal Canadiens. Rivalry goes back to 1917. As a Canadian hockey fan, you are in one camp or the other. The hate runs deep. Go Leafs Go!!

On the football side, I’ve gotta go with Auburn over Alabama or anyone else. My nephew and his wife are Auburn alumni. 

Back to the OP's original topic.

Pretty much every football game played in the SEC is a rivalry game.  In state rivalries are a given but ANY conference play has a history behind it.  UGA-Auburn, UGA-FL, UGA-Tennessee, Tennessee-Alabama, LSU and anybody,...  When the SEC expanded enough to split into East and West divisions, one of the issues was some traditional rivals were now in different divisions.  The answer was to play 2 cross division games per season with a rotation of opponents so traditional rivalries didn't just die off

.  We just don't get along and never have.  UGA-AUBURN literally goes back to the first football game Auburn played.  Auburn won 21-0 at a park in Atlanta and it's been on ever since.

Another traditional rivalry of Auburn is Ga Tech (which used to be in the SEC) and it dates back to the 1890's.  Tech came to Auburn to play the game by train.  Some Auburn students sneaked out of the dorms the night before and greased the tracks leading to the station (only a couple hundred yards from the campus) using lard and mops.   When the Tech train arrived, it slid though the station and continued a couple miles down the track.  Trains don't do reverse well, so the Tech football team had to walk back.  Auburn blew them out, they claim we cheated, and it's been on ever since.

In commemoration of that game, Auburn holds a Pajama Parade- complete with floats from the frats and sororities- through town prior to any time we face Ga Tech.

1 minute ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Alabama - Auburn.  The Sunday after the Iron Bowl, half the members of my church were absent.  Guess which half???

Depends on which year and who won.

There's many a man in the state that has to sleep on the couch that Saturday night.

When I lived in Alabama, our new pastor, who was from Texas, wore a shirt to church that was half Auburn and half Alabama.  When I saw it, I told the pastor that his shirt was unbiblical.  He asked why??  I told him to read, James 1:8.

46 minutes ago, MizPete said:

When I was in High School, the real Carolina -- the one in Columbia, SC --  could play.  Both football and basketball.  And were ACC members.  I married into NC.  It took them years to convince me there was a Carolina in Chapel Hill.  I am still pulling for AB(N)C.  My very favorite bumper sticker of all time, seen on a van in the Durham School of the Arts drop-off line:           U NCSU X.  And Let's Go Dook!!

I saw a vanity plate in Auburn a while back that was G8RH8R (Gator Hater). 

Nothing further needs to be said.

The apple cup was the nastiest game I have ever been too. UW vs WSU. And I was a Raiders fan...... We sat behind the Husky bench cuz the tickets were cheaper. It was ugly. Like death threats ugly. I was actually disgusted. Adults threatening college kids for playing a game. Dumb.

Im also disgusted with the NFL and no longer watch it. Lynch kneeling in Mexico City was the final straw. Unpatriotic spoiled welps. 

UK vs Tennessee 

even bigger is UK vs U of L. The State is split alone those lines

11 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

When UGA and Alabama (Auburn's 2 biggest traditional rivals) played for the National Championship a couple of years ago, I was rooting for the referees.  GO ZEBRAS!!

On the other hand, I will cheer for most SEC teams if they are playing out of conference.  The exceptions are UF and Tennessee. 

If I never hear Rocky Top again, it will be too soon.  Considering that they play the song on every opportunity, (Look!! Smokey woke up from his nap !  And a one and a two...), that's saying a LOT.

My son is a Volunteer grad, and even he confesses to getting tired of Rocky Top, except when the team is scoring, which is not often.

11 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

:P

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

My son is a Volunteer grad, and even he confesses to getting tired of Rocky Top, except when the team is scoring, which is not often.

I get it, it's the school fight song, BUT, do you really have to play it CONSTANTLY? 

Smokey just woke up from his nap,  "Rocky Top you'll always be...!"  The cheerleaders just did a pyramid and nobody got dropped,  "... Home Sweet Home to Me-e-e!",  The UT Chess Club just took a pawn, (Drum major) "One, two three four... ".

Archived