SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 73 rife lever spring screw size

Twelve Bore

I need to replace the lever and carrier spring screws in my Uberti 73. I had to drill the ones out that were factory installed.

I have searched to find what Uberti uses with no luck. Hope someone here knows what size they are and where to get them, and yes i know VTI has them but hoping to find some less expensive.

22 minutes ago, Flatwater Monte said:

Pioneer Gun Works sells a set of hardened screws for the 73. $18.00 + Shipping. Good luck finding gun screws in the typical big box hardware store, the thread pitch and size are gun specific. 

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/uberti-rifle-parts

Thank you! But i already know all of this.

Next time around, take out a stuck Uberti screw with a hand impact driver and the proper fitting Magnatip screwdriver bit.

Like:

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W2503-Impact-Extractor/dp/B00MXFFPVY

This won't help you discover a replacement screw (which is 6-40, an oddball US screw size) that probably won't look quite right.  But I've yet to have had to drill out a Uberti screw because of this suggestion..

Thanks to The Smith Shop, which puts this info right on their package of hardened Lifter/Lever Spring screws!

Good luck, GJ

I remember reading on the wire that Ruger frame screws will work on the Uberti 73 lever and carrier springs.

46 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Next time around, take out a stuck Uberti screw with a hand impact driver and the proper fitting Magnatip screwdriver bit.

Like:

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W2503-Impact-Extractor/dp/B00MXFFPVY

This won't help you discover a replacement screw (which is 6-40, an oddball US screw size) that probably won't look quite right.  But I've yet to have had to drill out a Uberti screw because of this suggestion..

Thanks to The Smith Shop, which puts this info right on their package of hardened Lifter/Lever Spring screws!

Good luck, GJ

I did use a proper screw driver bit but did not have the impact driver.  I have a set of whisper springs from the Smith Shop and have ordered the 6-40 screws for them. The screws i removed from the Uberti (or what is left of them) don't fit the Whisper Springs.

1 hour ago, Ace Hanlon said:

I remember reading on the wire that Ruger frame screws will work on the Uberti 73 lever and carrier springs.

Believe it is Ruger scope screws that are available.  Just need to be shortened slightly.     GW

2 hours ago, Twelve Bore said:

The screws i removed from the Uberti (or what is left of them) don't fit the Whisper Springs.

On EVERY Uberti rifle I work on, hardened replacement screws get put in after torquing out the factory screws.    It removes all doubt about damaged or tight screws that give the owner fits a year or 10 later on.

I guess it's possible that the Uberti screws for the leaf type springs are threaded differently than the Whisper Spring bases are threaded (but I would be surprised).   The Smith Shop makes and sells both those screws you got, and the Whisper Springs, so that is for sure the right (6-40) thread size/pitch to use.

Good luck, GJ

11 hours ago, Ace Hanlon said:

Grip frame screw, A-front  XR01700 blue or KXR01700 stainless steel.  Both available from Brownells or Ruger.

19 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

O

I guess it's possible that the Uberti screws for the leaf type springs are threaded differently than the Whisper Spring bases are threaded (but I would be surprised).   The Smith Shop makes and sells both those screws you got, and the Whisper Springs, so that is for sure the right (6-40) thread size/pitch to use.

Good luck, GJ

Correcto, the Uberti screws are more like 6x41 or 42  and are definitely not 6x40.  If you have patience, hate yourself, forgot to order the screws, and covet $4., you can cut the tread of the Uberti screws into the base of Whisper Springs by the "twist in a half turn and twist out a quarter turn" method. But you have to really want to save $4. and you still end up with Uberti POS screws. :)

Archived