SASS Wire Forum

Security procedures, door locks, keys

First, do not say anything about your own security measures (there are bad people who read this) but I am sure you know people...

myself i I have a flat key to open my house. It is often not locked, why worry about a key?

i frequently visited places in the former Soviet Union.  They install doors with 3D locks and keys needing awesome tools to break the doors.

what do you think?  Again, talk about other people’s defenses

If you don't want us to talk about our security...why did you talk about yours???:blink:

I found it interesting that in Japan and China bank tellers are separated from customers by bullet-proof glass. And yet here in the gun-happy USA tellers are just across the counter with no protection from attack at all. Strange.

38 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

And yet here in the gun-happy USA tellers are just across the counter with no protection from attack at all. Strange

Depends on where you are. In 1993 I was working in Chesapeake Virginia. The bank tellers were not only behind bulletproof glass, but you had to be buzzed through the bulletproof door to get into the bank.

30 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Depends on where you are. In 1993 I was working in Chesapeake Virginia. The bank tellers were not only behind bulletproof glass, but you had to be buzzed through the bulletproof door to get into the bank.

Yeah I guess some banks are like that, but virtually all the ones here in the Seattle area are stop n' robs. And yes we have lots of bank robberies in the news.

29 minutes ago, Alpo said:

In Paris you would be buzzed through one person at a time

Our old credit union had bullet proof glass and got robbed with one shot fired. In the infinite wisdom of the glass designer it had a 6" hole to talk through. The glass was about an inch thick. Who da thunk a robber would stick and shoot a gun through a 6" hole?:unsure:

It doesn't make much sense to put high security doors and locks on a home when, as is common in the southwest, you can simply knock a hole through the stucco wall and sheet rock to enter the home or break a rear patio door (which is safety glass and will shatter into a million non-sharp shards).

And don't worry about your security secrets. We have a training center for bad guys in this country. It's called JAIL.

6 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

And don't worry about your security secrets. We have a training center for bad guys in this country. It's called JAIL.

Ain't that the truth. I once watched a police training video that showed surveillance footage of prisoners in the courtyard practicing weapon disarmament techniques on each other. Apparently just preparing for their new reformed civilian life once they got out of jail, I suppose.

I live in the desert.

I have to take my own trash to the dump.

The dump office accepts resident land owner cards so they probably get little cash during the day.

The booth where you drive in and show your card requires your to get out of your vehicle to get to the pay window.

I appears to be 2" to 3" tinted bullet proof glass.

There is a steel slide tray to give your card or cash.

The little building has two sides with the door on the far third side away from the street.

The two employees in the building have a glass wall between them.

You talk to the person through a microphone that is to one side of the window.

Even my bank does not go to this length to protect it's employees.

Come to think of it, neither of the banks I do business with have glass between customers and employees.

They do have two armed guards.

One inside and one outside the door.

The counters seem to be reinforced to use as shields and are divided between stations.

I hear more about car jacking at the market than bank robberies.

One this year so far and the jacker did not get away because of citizens in the parking lot took action.

There's an outfit in Israel that makes high quality security doors that lock up with like safe or vault doors (when closed, locking bars come out of the doors on both side, top and the bottom). 

If I ever have somethin' worth locking down that much, I can see getting a brace of them doors for the house.  Of course, that just means they will go through a window or through the wall instead.

At a couple of the banks on the very outskirts of town, when you walk into the lobby there are no tellers. You step into a little 3 sided booth and the teller appears on a monitor in front of you.  Drive through has a small monitor as well. 

They were set up that way in response to a string of bank robberies several years ago.

I have often thought of this one because it has parallels in Russia.

New Hampshire:

city hall, town halls.you need a document, pay the clerk get it.

State House, there is an officer, ready for retirement, resting by the door.

Secretary of State’s office, pay the clerk get your papers.

they are trusted to handle money

Massachusetts:

Boston City Hall.  Tell the clerk what you want, she gets it, gives you a slip, you go to the cashier, pay your money, bring your receipt back and get your document.

State House, three police with an airport scanner for your briefcase and a metal detector for you.

Secretary of State’s office, they get your document, give you a slip, you go down the hall, pay the cashier, come back with your receipt, and get your papers.

5 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

I live in the desert.

I have to take my own trash to the dump.

The dump office accepts resident land owner cards so they probably get little cash during the day.

The booth where you drive in and show your card requires your to get out of your vehicle to get to the pay window.

I appears to be 2" to 3" tinted bullet proof glass.

There is a steel slide tray to give your card or cash.

The little building has two sides with the door on the far third side away from the street.

The two employees in the building have a glass wall between them.

You talk to the person through a microphone that is to one side of the window.

Even my bank does not go to this length to protect it's employees.

Come to think of it, neither of the banks I do business with have glass between customers and employees.

They do have two armed guards.

One inside and one outside the door.

The counters seem to be reinforced to use as shields and are divided between stations.

I hear more about car jacking at the market than bank robberies.

One this year so far and the jacker did not get away because of citizens in the parking lot took action.

Land owner card to use the dump??

But the liberals don’t want to require id to vote! :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

At a couple of the banks on the very outskirts of town, when you walk into the lobby there are no tellers. You step into a little 3 sided booth and the teller appears on a monitor in front of you.  Drive through has a small monitor as well. 

They were set up that way in response to a string of bank robberies several years ago.

The Barrow Gang? ;)

20 hours ago, Alpo said:

You must have been in Deep Creek.

Half the people walking in the banks in Wyoming have open carry guns. There aren't many bank robberies here or in other businesses. 

With the introduction of quality cordless tools the potential for break ins has gone way up. Construction people know how things are built and could be in and out without being noticed. We had a break in at one of our clinics. The person removed the rubber seal on the window, then removed the double pane glass and gently placed it on the floor and crawled through. We didn't find anything missing. The local glass company used the same rubber gasket to replace the glass unit. 

I know the local locksmith and they can pick just about any lock. They also know how to break into safes by listening to the tumblers. Just like the old movies.

Nothing is really safe.

Archived