SASS Wire Forum

Another school shooting!

Another $%&#!!! school shooting.  This one in Highlands Ranch, Colorado, at a STEM school!  Two juvenile suspect in custody, one more maybe on the loose!  A number of students injured!  No further details at this time.  Rapid response by officers from substation not far away.  That is how the two suspects allegedly were caught by officers who charged into the school!

At least seven injured per Fox 31 news.  Fox News national first reported this.

It is reported that there was NO School Resource Officer on duty at the STEM school!  We need to have SRO's (aka armed guards) in every school. And those teachers willing to be armed and trained inside all our schools!  It is sad that this is necessary, but the state of mental health treatment in this country is atrocious!  And, if these perps are under 18, how the HELL are they getting the guns?! :angry:   If they are getting them "on the street", and the people supplying the weapons can be found, they should be tried, convicted AND EXECUTED BY HANGING FROM A LAMP POST!  Sorry, that's just a gut reaction! No, wait, I'm serious!

5 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

It is reported that there was NO School Resource Officer on duty at the STEM school!  We need to have SRO's (aka armed guards) in every school. And those teachers willing to be armed and trained inside all our schools!  It is sad that this is necessary, but the state of mental health treatment in this country is atrocious!  And, if these perps are under 18, how the HELL are they getting the guns?! :angry:   If they are getting them "on the street", and the people supplying the weapons can be found, they should be tried, convicted AND EXECUTED BY HANGING FROM A LAMP POST!  Sorry, that's just a gut reaction! No, wait, I'm serious!

Too much resemblance of pictures of atrocities from WWII and various other wars......public hanging from a well built gallows would suit me.

1 minute ago, MizPete said:

good job for retired vets

A major problem is that most school districts, county governments and/or state legislatures and even the Federal government don't want to spend the funds to screen, train and certify security personnel, whether retired vets, teachers or what have you.  Allegedly, according to Douglas Co. Sheriff Tony Spurlock both shooters were students at the school!  They are saying one was and adult and one a juvenile, meaning one was at least 18 and one was younger.  Now STEM school is a charter school.  These are designed to educate kids in the science, technology, engineering and math. In other words, these are supposed to be the brighter kids.  But, as with the Columbine shooters, a school cannot have complete interest 24/7 with these kids.  So, the question that should be asked is how much involvement do their parents have with them?  This area is pretty much upper-middle-class or higher.  I doubt the perps were gang-bangers. 

It is reported that the legislature refused to allocate $30M to place "resource officers" in schools, fearing "too much police" in the schools! 

Update: According to police sources, one victim has died! :( :( !  Others are reported to be in surgery.  However, three students reportedly treated and released from the local hospital.

Our local school has armed teachers as do several other conservative counties in Colorado. 

Our Democrat controlled state house just passed a bogus Red Flag law (Rocky Mountain Gun Owners is filing a lawsuit) and they will now attempt to capitalize on this tragedy with more gun control legislation as they did after the Aurora shooting. :angry:

Put an armed guard at the school house doorways.  Not an officer friendly handing out cupcakes armed guard, but a shoot your ass in a heartbeat armed guard.  

There's a mantra going around that says if certain folks weren't punished so much they would be better citizens. So they reduce punishment and resources and the actions explode, so they figure they're on to something and reduce punishment and resources even more, and on and on it goes.

They have to stop memorializing these mass shooting events 10 times a day on TV each year or on special anniversaries.   Especially when they come out and say this was the biggest, or worst or most killed etc.  Because it just gets some nut out there saying to himself, "Hell, I can do better than that."  When the media go into all the details all it does is plant a seed in some nut bar's brain.  The media should just give it a short mention on the news and leave out the details.

That's the view from my saddle, yours may vary depending on which way your horse is facing.

The Eighth Amendment states that "Cruel or unusual punishment shall not be inflicted..."

Perhaps we should identify a new category of crime for which extreme punishment would be considered neither inordinately cruel nor unusual, but rather be quite acceptable.

The public flogging scene from Outlander comes to mind as a possible deterrent.  -_-

There's very little you can do to deter a disturbed teenager bent on something like this. Most of them intend it to be their last act on earth and frequently kill themselves, so the possibility of punishment means nothing to them. There is something seriously wrong in our society when youngsters are completely without any morality or sense of right and wrong.

:(

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There's very little you can do to deter a disturbed teenager bent on something like this. Most of them intend it to be their last act on earth and frequently kill themselves, so the possibility of punishment means nothing to them. There is something seriously wrong in our society when youngsters are completely without any morality or sense of right and wrong.

I'm probably wrong, as I do that! But I think all this "everyone wins" crap is part of the problem. They grow up and find out it's NOT all a win and then they freak out. As well as said above, they want to out do the previous POS.

Notice how we haven't heard another word from New Zealand. Not that I want any kind of gun ban, but not glorifying the perp would help I think.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

In many instances, whether the teens commit violent acts or not, parents take too little time raising their kids. I'm not talking about trying to "be a friend" to their children.  The problem now is that many of the parents were not instilled with values of family and being good citizens themselves.  Columbine was 20 years ago.  The question is how well is that generation of parents raising their kids.  Another thing that seems to be a problem with some parents is they are not instilling a sense of self-worth in their kids.  Not all kids are going to excel and be as popular as their peers. But the parents need to show them they can be good at something.  But parents must take care not to expect so much of their children that they push them into a corner.  Even if the parents don't say so, sometimes the kids get the feeling they have to excel in school, whether the parents have actually expressed it in so many words.

Changing the subject:  Handguns were allegedly used to commit this crime.  The two perps were both students at the STEM school!  The male, legally an adult, meaning over 18 years old, and the female, under 18, apparently obtained these weapons from somewhere.  If obtained in their homes, then the parents should be charged with accessory to murder for not either locking up their guns or being aware of emotional problems with their children. If the guns were obtained elsewhere....then WHERE?  If from a licensed dealer, then the dealer should be charged for selling to someone under 21.  If obtained "on the street", then a concerted effort should be made to find out where and who.  Private transactions with guns must go through a background check in Colorado.  Failure to do so is a violation of the law, in itself.

Anyway, prayers up for the recovery of the injured, and for the family of the young man who was murdered.

35 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

If obtained in their homes, then the parents should be charged with accessory to murder for not either locking up their guns or being aware of emotional problems with their children......

No.  Absolutely not.  Liberals already spend enough time and energy trying to hold innocent gun owners responsible for the actions of others.

Angus

Holding people responsible when their guns get stolen and used in a crime should never be the law. Having that that however, common sense says that when you've got kids or teens in your house you should keep your firearms secured as you never know when they're going to suddenly get the idea to do something stupid. We all say "MY kid would never do that!" but you really don't know. There is so much peer pressure these days and your kids will often keep their thoughts and feelings bottled up inside rather than tell anyone.

From what was released on the news last night, the response time was an amazing 2 min.  That along with students attacking one of the gunmen probably reduced the damage they were able to cause.  

It will be interesting to see where the guns and ammo were procured as both require buyers to be 21.   Private party sales have been illegal since 2013 without a ffl being involved.  

2 minutes is an eternity in a gunfight.And this wasn't a gunfight. How much damage can any of you do in 2 minutes, if you wanted to?

For the second time in a week or two the carnage was mimimized by the heroic actions of two heroes who sacrificed their lives to save others. They went after the shooter instead of running away, or hiding, as they were advised to do. This is the perfect example of American heroism. 

2 mass shootings with a total of 3 dead. Incompetant shooters + heroes = low body count.

If we accept the fact that there will always be crazies and ways to create mayhem, then we need to accept the fact that our culture and our world has changed permanently.  There is no going back to the days when we could take our guns from home to school.   Public schools need to be designed architecturally to provide security, and staffed with personnel trained to provide threat response instantly.  If public schools can’t or won’t protect students from this type of threat, then public schools probably shouldn’t continue to exist.  School was terrifying enough for me  before school shootings began.  No way I would go to one these days.  We may be seeing more than the death of some students; we may be seeing the death of public schools as we have known them.

4 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

If we accept the fact that there will always be crazies and ways to create mayhem, then we need to accept the fact that our culture and our world has changed permanently.  There is no going back to the days when we could take our guns from home to school.   Public schools need to be designed architecturally to provide security, and staffed with personnel trained to provide threat response instantly.  If public schools can’t or won’t protect students from this type of threat, then public schools probably shouldn’t continue to exist.  School was terrifying enough for me  before school shootings began.  No way I would go to one these days.  We may be seeing more than the death of some students; we may be seeing the death of public schools as we have known them.

You need to quit listening to the MSM. They are distorting the facts so badly they should be held criminally liable.

If you want to be concerned about child deaths then consider this little tidbit from the CDC.

In 2016, 2,433 teens in the United States ages 16–19 were killed and 292,742 were treated in emergency departments for injuries suffered in motor vehicle crashes. That means that six teens ages 16–19 died every day due to motor vehicle crashes and hundreds more were injured.

In 2016, young people ages 15-19 represented 6.5% of the U.S. population. However, they accounted for an estimated $13.6 billion (8.4%) of the total costs of motor vehicle injuries.

As you can see in 2016 alone more teenage children died in auto accidents than have been killed on school grounds in the 100 years. Yet you don't hear one peep about it on national news. Why because it dosen't further their adjenda.

Say what you will about Ralph Nader, but he changed the design of automobiles from fins and chrome to more emphasis on safety.  He recognized that the old way of making cars needed to change.  Trying to convince folks that the MSM is lying about school shooting dangers ignores the fact that school shootings are going to continue, and will continue to be highly publicized.  I would prefer to shift the attention away from attacking the Second Amendment and gun owners to school design and protection.

On 5/7/2019 at 3:33 PM, Cypress Sun said:

Too much resemblance of pictures of atrocities from WWII and various other wars......public hanging from a well built gallows would suit me.

The guillotine is easy to build, inexpensive, needs only minor maintenance, and there is NO reprieve.  Nazi Germany used it more often in less time that the French revolution.

There was a vigil at the school for the victims, but when a couple of politicians decided to turn it into a gun control rally, a large portion of the students walked out for a while....there might be hope for them yet....

At least they might be willing to admit that the true problem with all these shootings isn't the guns, it's a total lack of respect for other people and human lives....

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Say what you will about Ralph Nader, but he changed the design of automobiles from fins and chrome to more emphasis on safety.  He recognized that the old way of making cars needed to change.  Trying to convince folks that the MSM is lying about school shooting dangers ignores the fact that school shootings are going to continue, and will continue to be highly publicized.  I would prefer to shift the attention away from attacking the Second Amendment and gun owners to school design and protection.

Shifting the attention away from gun control goes against their adjenda.

Bit of trivia.  Many years ago, it was noticed that every time the MSM made a big deal about a celebrity committing suicide there was a very large uptick in suicides by the general population but especially teen suicides.

Somehow, somebody got the MSM to quite sensationalizing suicides. This tactic actually worked really really well at preventing suicides.

Now if we could only figure out how to get the MSM from memorializing school shooters by posting their picture over and over as well as screaming their name from the top of every broadcast tower in America I truly believe it would have a huge impact on future school shootings.

I also firmly believe that having an armed and trained staff is by far and away the best protection for our schools.

Fwiw the media, here at least, has been pretty good in not putting out much info or pictures of the shooters.

One rarity I’ve noticed in this case is that there were two. These are almost always single assailant incidents, the rare exception being the Columbine shooting.

18 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

From what was released on the news last night, the response time was an amazing 2 min.

Apparently there was an on-site armed staff member who intervened. Unfortunately as was said earlier one of these creeps can still do a lot of damage in just 2 minutes.

A “Candlelight Vigil” was held at the school last night. 

But it turned out to be a gun control rally organized by the Brady Campaign and featuring 2 anti gun politicians, Michael Bennett and Jason Crowe. When the hundreds of students in attendance realized what was going on they were outraged and stormed out. They held their own vigil outside and grieved for the death of their fellow student killed in the attack.

Then they went back in to the room and took over the microphone. They then voiced what, in their opinion, is the real root problem. 

“Mental Health! Mental Health”, they chanted.

What’s that quote? Oh yeah. “And a child shall lead them”

I don’t know any of those kids but I awfully proud of them.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/stem-school-students-walk-out-of-planned-vigil-frustrated-by-political-talk/73-4590cb00-b273-48b0-93dd-b018dc4097e8

The firearms were obtained by the shooters by breaking into a gun safe of the parents of one of them using an axe and crowbar.  They then tried to set fire to the house. Good thing the parents weren’t home. I think we can agree that bringing charges on them would not be appropriate. 

14 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The firearms were obtained by the shooters by breaking into a gun safe of the parents of one of them using an axe and crowbar.  They then tried to set fire to the house. Good thing the parents weren’t home. I think we can agree that bringing charges on them would not be appropriate. 

Absolutely!  OTOH, videos of the male punk's car show graffiti in the form of the number "666" and possibly a pentagram.  My question is, did the parents not know of their son's weird behavior?  Possibly not, but...  The Columbine shooters were making bombs in their parent's garage. Yet the parents seemed not to notice anything.  And, of course, at a student rally to honor their classmates, the pols showed up, spouting their own agendas! :angry:

Archived