SASS Wire Forum

Rugged Gear Guncart Wheel Upgrade

Totes Magoats

I ordered the upgraded wheels for my 4-gun Rugged Gear gun cart.  Thought I would share some pics.

When I ordered it, they asked about my front fork and the new kit does come with a replacement.   Hope this helps with the steering as that was a bit of an issue with the old wheel/fork setup.  In the picture, you will see I had to use a rubber band on the old front fork wheel lock.

The new tires are tubeless, same as my old set.  

Cost was right at $100 shipped to my door.

Totes

IMG_2743.JPG

IMG_3418.JPG

Couple installation notes....

Front fork nut only needs to be tightened until it snugs up to the washer, don't overtighten as the front wheel needs to free swivel.

The remove of the back wheels is different than the spoke wheels.  Spoke wheels, you 'push' the retaining clip spring 'in' to release off the axle.  The new mag wheels, you push the center of the hub to clip on/off the axle (see pics).

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

Verdict:  I ran it around the yard and it 'feels' more stable and steers a LOT better.  The old spoked wheels had a flimsy side to side wobble where these new wheels and fork 'feel' more stable.

I like it.  happy with the purchase!

Totes

1 minute ago, Joe Cross, SASS #13848 L said:

Totes, where on the Rugged Gear website is this upgrade located? Was just there and could not find it.

JC

You have to call them.  They will ask you questions about your existing cart to ensure the right kit.

Totes

I ordered the upgrade kit this morrning.

Irish Tom.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 10:28 AM, Totes Magoats said:

Couple installation notes....

Front fork nut only needs to be tightened until it snugs up to the washer, don't overtighten as the front wheel needs to free swivel.

The remove of the back wheels is different than the spoke wheels.  Spoke wheels, you 'push' the retaining clip spring 'in' to release off the axle.  The new mag wheels, you push the center of the hub to clip on/off the axle (see pics).

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

Installing my upgrade kit today (no instructions came with it so referring to the original that came with the cart). Back wheels - snap off, snap on, done. Any trick to installing the front fork? It came with three washers, bearings, and a nylok nut like the original. Removed the fork and popped out the nylon "bearing" and retained the washer for the nut. Are all three washers used (needed)? None will fit inside the tube the bearings slide into and just barely cover the diameter of the tube. Thanks for any hints.

JC

19 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Without seeing any pictures it's hard to say.

Could those washers be for the rear wheels?

maybe a call to RG in the morning is in order.

I'll be curious about what they say.....

OLG

Spoke with Rugged Gear today: I have a gen 1 cart (has the knob on the front that holds the front wheel fork plate on the frame); on gen 2 carts, the plate is welded on and has a different bearing assembly. They sent me a front fork assembly for a gen 2 cart - that's why nothing fits. :angry:  They are sending me a replacement nylon bushing with washer that will accept the new fork and wheel. It's the improvement over the original 2-piece plastic "bearing". Bushing shown is what I have now. Washers are not for the rear wheels. If I don't receive the new bushing by this Friday, I will need to re-install the old spoked wheel so I can use the cart on Saturday! No getting the carts mixed up then - only one with new rear wheels and old spoked front wheel.  :huh::lol:  No, I ain't gonna put the spoked rear wheels back on...

JC

2073306805_nylonbushing.thumb.jpg.1fd6aa96257c68853ee11009e91997fb.jpg2134100332_frontwheelforkplategen1.thumb.jpg.22a3da0b9876419215a245975ee8c0c2.jpg

Joe-I too have a 1st gen cart. First used the cart at your state shoot held in Cody in 2010.

Done lots of mods to it since then.

Be very interested to see their steering set up for your cart. I went to using two shoulder bearings. That install took a fair amount of changes to the OEM steering

Thanks for the info.

OLG

Thanks for this thread Totes Magoats. I ordered the kit as a result of seeing this. Very nice upgrade. They even explained how to reverse my rear brake holds. I bent them when I first got the cart by trying to push it with the brakes set. I was trying to order a pair to replace them when he explained that they had the brake hold on both sides and if you remove two c clips you could switch them side to side. Like new again!

nice to know there is an upgrade kit that works and is affordable - so often i see where things dont work , fun to read when something does , 

On 5/7/2019 at 9:12 AM, Totes Magoats said:

I ordered the upgraded wheels for my 4-gun Rugged Gear gun cart.  Thought I would share some pics.

When I ordered it, they asked about my front fork and the new kit does come with a replacement.   Hope this helps with the steering as that was a bit of an issue with the old wheel/fork setup.  In the picture, you will see I had to use a rubber band on the old front fork wheel lock.

The new tires are tubeless, same as my old set.  

Cost was right at $100 shipped to my door.

Totes

IMG_2743.JPG

IMG_3418.JPG

Wouldn’t wooden spokes look nice on those wheels?

Installed mine last Thur, just in time for a 2 day match with the Medicine Creek Road agents. Steers a little better, but still not great. Disappointed to see a lot of slop between the steering shaft and bearings. 

8 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Installed mine last Thur, just in time for a 2 day match with the Medicine Creek Road agents. Steers a little better, but still not great. Disappointed to see a lot of slop between the steering shaft and bearings. 

When I did my home made bearing conversion on my 1st gen cart a couple of years ago.

I used a section of copper tubing slipped over the steering shaft, and held in place with loc-tite red stud and bearing retainer to give a better fit to the bearing ID.

OLG

Got my new wheels and that bushing has to be pounded in on the front fork so it doesn't wiggle.

I'll let you know soon.

I find it amazing that a cart that is this expensive needs a $100 upgrade for the front wheel.  No offense to the owners of RG carts, but my $20 garage sale jogging baby buggy rolls just fine.

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I find it amazing that a cart that is this expensive needs a $100 upgrade for the front wheel.  No offense to the owners of RG carts, but my $20 garage sale jogging baby buggy rolls just fine.

Same could be said for a stock Uberti Rifle or a number of other items we use in this game.  I went 4 years on the original wheels and probably could have went even longer, but now I have a much better handling cart and a set of backup wheels.

Totes

12 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

Same could be said for a stock Uberti Rifle or a number of other items we use in this game.  I went 4 years on the original wheels and probably could have went even longer, but now I have a much better handling cart and a set of backup wheels.

Totes

Disagree. One can do some polishing and lightening of the springs and run a Uberti 66/73 for years. The front fork/bushing/wheel is a known point of failure and will go bad; not maybe, WILL.

Yes I think rugged gear should send a replacement bushing and front fork assembly for the Gen 1 carts on their dime.

I'm still run'n the OEM rear wheels on my 9 year old, early 1st gen RG 4 gun cart.

I do have a one-off prototype front wheel, that at one time RG was think'n about making.

Got to remember that we SASS/CAS folks load more weight into these carts than they were originally set up for.

The mods I have done, have worked out very well......

OLG

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Disagree. One can do some polishing and lightening of the springs and run a Uberti 66/73 for years. The front fork/bushing/wheel is a known point of failure and will go bad; not maybe, WILL.

Yes I think rugged gear should send a replacement bushing and front fork assembly for the Gen 1 carts on their dime.

I’m going to disagree with your disagreement. The Uberti 66/73 extractor, and springs are known points of failure. Should Uberti send new ones to everybody?

Mechanical parts wear out. That’s a fact of life. Another fact of life is that mechanical parts that don’t wear out as fast cost more. In this case the customer has a choice. Settle for the stock model or spend a bit extra for an upgrade that will last longer. 

19 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I’m going to disagree with your disagreement. The Uberti 66/73 extractor, and springs are known points of failure. Should Uberti send new ones to everybody?

Mechanical parts wear out. That’s a fact of life. Another fact of life is that mechanical parts that don’t wear out as fast cost more. In this case the customer has a choice. Settle for the stock model or spend a bit extra for an upgrade that will last longer. 

And I'm going to disagree with your disagreeing with my disagreement. :P

You make a fair point. I think the big problem I have is that I have to upgrade if it breaks because there are no replacement bushings any more. I don't want to spend $100 I just want th o replace a $5 part. 

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

And I'm going to disagree with your disagreeing with my disagreement. :P

You make a fair point. I think the big problem I have is that I have to upgrade if it breaks because there are no replacement bushings any more. I don't want to spend $100 I just want th o replace a $5 part. 

Now THAT we can agree on. :D

Moderators: Two cowboys on the Wire had a disagreement. They discussed it in a calm orderly manner and came to an agreement. This thread should be pinned and given a gold star. :lol:

i cannot agree more , 

it is good to know they have reacted to obvious flaws tho , even if its not a perfect fix , my old buggy still has the kid straps 

I bought a Rugged Gear 3-gun cart 10 years ago and it's held up without a problem. I avoided the 4-gun cart not only because it was much more expensive, but I also noticed back then that front wheel failures were a problem. I think it interesting that it's taken 10 years for them to put the same wheels on the that cart that I've had since '09. Thanks to Joe and Martha Briscoe of Cowboy Shooters Supply, I converted mine to a 4-gun rig. While not quite as spacious, it hauls all that I need.

Got my kit yesterday. Back wheels went on simply. Front wheel won't go on at all. Seems that the nylon bushing is about a 1/16 of an inch bigger than the hole it is supposed to fit up in. Doesn't sound like much but is almost to the outside edge of the pipe not the inside edge as is needed. Sanding it down to fit is the simple answer but if you don't own a belt sander as I, sanding a round nylon bearing by hand with sand paper would take a week if I could even figure out how to hold the damn thing while sanding. Tech support at Rugged Gear is out of town for a week and a half. I am dead in the water at this time.

Sorry to hear this Major. Is yours a first generation cart? Can yo still use the original front wheel until they are available?

I had called Rugged Gear and only the secretary was in. She called me back and  said that she had talked to the head man who is away for about 10 days. He told her he would look into the problem when he gets back and of course, suggested I could sand. She also said I was not the only one that had called with this problem that day. I have a first generation with the front knob so they did send me the supposed correct bushing. This information was the basis for my first post. Now, how do you sand a round disc to stay perfectly round. My new bushing is 1.365 and my hole measures 1.335.  

Archived