SASS Wire Forum

The Legend of the Vomelet

Sedalia Dave

Nope. Luckily I have never had to rely on MREs for any extended nourishment. I have eaten them but as camp / hiking / hunting food. I am pretty sure I have never eaten anything with more sodium than an MRE.

46 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am pretty sure I have never eaten anything with more sodium than an MRE.

https://www.hprc-online.org/sites/default/files/_app/comrad/index.html#

Menu 1, Chili with beans, 2454  mg Na.

Menu 2, Beef, BBQ, pulled, 3375 mg Na

Lowest I found on the MREs was a tad over 1400 mg Na.

I've had the Country Captain Chicken. I don't recall it being that bad.

I attempted a Shrimp Jambalaya once. I say ATTEMPTED, as when I opened it, my office suddenly smelled like a gallon of nuc mahm had been dumped in the middle of the floor.

While gagging I took it to the dumpster.

I've had some that weren't real great, but that was the only one that was not edible.

I can’t believe they tried the universally despised Ham and Limas again. 

You probably won't believe this UB, but I actually liked the Ham & Lima beans. I only had it once in '72 while on a hike in which our platoon leader of the day neglected to allow for the difference between true north and magnetic north and led us over 1.5 miles off course.  When we stopped for lunch I actually ate well becausse several others also got the ham & lima and I got to eat theirs.  

Okay, I admit, I'm weird sometimes.:P

Having gone extended periods on both C-rations and early MREs, I guess for me the real edibility test comes down to expectations vs reality. 

C-rats and MREs were/are meant to be shelf stable sources of nutrients, and not much more. A splash of Tabasco or sugar and most could be made palatable. 

Canned peaches or the C-rat cakes were special treats that made me smile. 

MRE hot dogs reminded me of veenie weenies, which were a special treat when I was a kid. 

I didn’t expect much from the meals, so they rarely disappointed and occasionally delighted. 

Hot A rations were another story. These meals were cooked at the mess wagon, usually from locally sourced ingredients, loaded into hot trays, and then trucked to the company areas. 

Youd think they they had potential to be good, but after the road trip to us, they were like semi-warm congealed glop. More than once I ate an MRE over the shitake that came out of the hot trays. 

(I’m with Clay, and actually enjoyed ham and limas. Reminded me of a thick bean soup.)

Some were good, some were bad.  I was in during versions 8-14  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meal,_Ready-to-Eat#Contents

Meatballs with spicy sauce was decent;  corned beef hash and chicken w/rice were  edible and the omelet with ham was gross.

Being an MP in the National Guard, I was rarely in the field for more then a couple of days at a time, so sometimes I'd bring my own food rather then eat the MRE's.

A long time ago, In a galaxy Far .... Far ..... away, I among others, primarily subsisted on Korean era C-Rations.  Some weren't "real" bad.  Sone were "Really' bad.  Some, were actually dated 1944.  You can always tell the pictures of "in-country' guys.  We all had a little bottle of hot sauce sticking up out of our pocket.  Nobody ever gave away the toilette paper packet ..... trust me.

Archived