SASS Wire Forum

Miroku/Winchester 66 question

Smokey Dave

I recently bought this rifle from a SASS member. I LOVE this rifle.

My question is about the loading port. As I've shown in the picture, the leading edge of the port is literally as sharp as a razor blade. When sliding rounds into the magazine, you have to be very careful not to slice your thumb off. Loading it for a stage won't be too bad, I'll just have to be mindful of it and not cut myself. But I can see where if I was stuffing a cartridge in it on the clock and under pressure, I'll probably need medical attention.

What do you suggest? I could probably take a small diamond file or a stone, and round it off. I'm thinking this is the best course of action. What do you think? Does anyone else with a Miroku/Winchester have the same dilemma? 

IMG_1628-2.jpg

Thanks OLG, that's what I was thinking. 

Personally, I'd take the rifle apart and use a nice folded piece of 350 wet/dry and round the sharp little sucker off.  Right after I applied a nice bandaid to my thumb.

You could also wrap some 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper around a Popsicle stick. Apply a squirt of WD-40 to it.

Then push the loading gate down with a pencil and hold it there.  Just move the popsicle stick up-n-down on the edge you want to 'soften'.

OLG

Thanks for all the great suggestions Fellas! 

I did very close to what you said to do, OLG. I used a fine emery board with a little gun oil on it. Held the gate down with a dowel, and went at the edge slowly. It's nice and soft now. No more fillet'd thumb!

Archived