SASS Wire Forum

I have large hands and fat fingers with knuckles made larger by arthritis which take a beating with my six shooters. I bought a pair of half finger padded gloves but they don't cover enough of my finger/knuckle for the protection I need. I can't imagine that I am the only one with this problem - anyone got a solution?

The only prohibition is "modern shooting gloves."  Ski or work gloves would look goofy, IMO.

Just search Google image search for gauntlets or gloves with fringe or driving gloves..

A plain smooth leather pair would work too.

I would get an unlined pair, so they can stretch to accommodate your knuckles.

I have lots of pairs of the old standard Brown Jersey gloves. they are cheap, give amazing impact cushioning and help cold arthritic hands stay warmer. You can cut them up and discard if unsatisfied with the results. And they are available lots of places, also more period correct looking than Driving or Golf gloves.

Imis

A number of our local shooters tape their trigger fingers.  They use either regular white athletic tape or the stretchy light brown stuff.  This practice started when a number of faster shooters managed to put their rifle triggers into, or through, their trigger fingers.  Some have switched to flat trigger or others that have been modified to stop "trigger bite".

15 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Find a pair of leather gloves that almost fit and soak them in warm water. Put them on to stretch them for a custom fit. Don't take them off until dry or almost dry. 

+2

https://www.sullivanglove.com/product/pro-biker-bike-racing-motorcycle-riding-gloves-xl-black/

If your going to spend the $$$$, get the best!  These are excellent quality and fit.

15 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Find a pair of leather gloves that almost fit and soak them in warm water. Put them on to stretch them for a custom fit. Don't take them off until dry or almost dry. 

That would depend on the look you are going for.  It could give them an aged look.

I have made my own "shoe stretch." It is basically alcohol and water. You would spray it on the inside of the gloves then put them on when wet.

15 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

https://www.sullivanglove.com/product/pro-biker-bike-racing-motorcycle-riding-gloves-xl-black/

If your going to spend the $$$$, get the best!  These are excellent quality and fit.

Love those! I made a pair. Unfortunately my fingers are now so knobby they don't fit. This was Cowboy recycling. I bought the grey (a vest) and purple (a skirt) on eBay. I didn't like them so I used them to make the vest and gloves to match a hat I already had.

Blue Sky Hat.jpg

Thanks for all the input. I have a pair of gaunlets that I have never tried to wear while shooting but I'll give them a try. I think the knuckle bandaid will get a serious look too. Maybe, like Allie, if I get rid of the purple skirt it will help too.

10 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

If you wear the purple skirt nobody will notice your fat fingers!

Excellent point! And since I still have such nice legs except for a few fat veins sticking out I might get me a date.

On 5/9/2019 at 6:38 PM, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

remember too that medical conditions can play a role in what is allowed vs. all the youngsters playing this game

I have arthritis is both hands. I use Framers three finger gloves 

with padded palms for IDPA and Steel Challenge but SASS frowns on that.

Archived