SASS Wire Forum

Best Forum for Black Powder Info?

David Balthazar

I want to learn more about black powder (specifically cap and ball revolvers).

I was hoping someone here can direct me to the most traveled  and current black powder forum regarding such...

Thanks 'pards!

You could also try the N-SSA forum.  They do all kinds of black powder shooting.

https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/forum.php

Shot my 1860's for the first time as Frontiersman Sunday.  Only had one issue with a cap that would not fire.  Was on Stage 5 and so far I had a clean match going so I worked through the issue. I load all 6 chambes but only cap 5. Capped the 6th chamber on the clock and moved on to my rifle where I got my only miss for the match.  At the unloading table I discovered that the cap was still on and had not fired.  Went to an unused stage and after the 4th hammer strike the cap finally went off.  Shot my 58's for the last stage and they ran well.

Point is the best experience is to get a pair and shoot them. Do the mods Larsen Pettifogger published for reliability and start shooting. 

I am shooting  T7 as I got several pounds really cheap but it is pretty hot but not unmanageable.. Going to get some felt wads so I can switch to the 15 grain spout.

I talked to as many shooters as I could and then went out and started having fun.  Read the link in the post below.  Losts of good info backed up by real world testing.

The Larsen pettifogger mods are part of this thread. A lot of good info here as well.

Thanks for all the advice--I am not looking into CAS C&B or even BP, but want to educate myself, and make some informed purchases.

9 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Shot my 1860's for the first time as Frontiersman Sunday.  Only had one issue with a cap that would not fire.  Was on Stage 5 and so far I had a clean match going so I worked through the issue. I load all 6 chambes but only cap 5. Capped the 6th chamber on the clock and moved on to my rifle where I got my only miss for the match.  At the unloading table I discovered that the cap was still on and had not fired.  Went to an unused stage and after the 4th hammer strike the cap finally went off.  Shot my 58's for the last stage and they ran well.

Point is the best experience is to get a pair and shoot them. Do the mods Larsen Pettifogger published for reliability and start shooting. 

I am shooting  T7 as I got several pounds really cheap but it is pretty hot but not unmanageable.. Going to get some felt wads so I can switch to the 15 grain spout.

I talked to as many shooters as I could and then went out and started having fun.  Read the link in the post below.  Losts of good info backed up by real world testing.

The Larsen pettifogger mods are part of this thread. A lot of good info here as well.

If you aren't doing so already, a push stick will minimize the those FTP (failure to pop) caps. I load all my caps with a Ted Cash snail capper, then follow up with a firm push onto the nipple with a piece of antler. Prior to that, I used a wooden dowel mounted into a golf ball. The golf ball made a comfortable grip.

cKtjHP1.jpg

36 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

If you aren't doing so already, a push stick will minimize the those FTP (failure to pop) caps. I load all my caps with a Ted Cash snail capper, then follow up with a firm push onto the nipple with a piece of antler. Prior to that, I used a wooden dowel mounted into a golf ball. The golf ball made a comfortable grip.

cKtjHP1.jpg

Have one made from an antler. Even after pushing firmly twice the cap still wouldn't fire. I also use stock springs with Treso Nipples.

12 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Have one made from an antler. Even after pushing firmly twice the cap still wouldn't fire. I also use stock springs with Treso Nipples.

Ahh, the gremlins of C&B. So many issues to investigate, sometimes it's just a matter of a sorcerer's wand.

I use Slix nipples and #10 Remington caps, not that Slix vs. Treso is significant. Even so, I had FTP issues. Upon extensive investigation, I discovered the hammer channels in my Pietta 1860 Sheriffs weren't cut well. They had a slight convex shape causing the hammer to drag just enough that caps wouldn't fire reliably.  Try marking your hammers with a Sharpie and dry fire. If the hammer is dragging, it'll be evident where the ink is scraped off.

Good luck!

I am not looking into CAS C&B or even BP, but want to educate myself, and make some informed purchases.

OK, since you changed your request now ...  Please explain What Kind of Informed Purchases .... and Be Specific!

8 hours ago, John Boy said:

OK, since you changed your request now ...  Please explain What Kind of Informed Purchases .... and Be Specific!

"I want to learn more about black powder (specifically cap and ball revolvers).

I was hoping someone here can direct me to the most traveled  and current black powder forum regarding such..."

Sorry, John Boy, don't see where I once changed my request, 'pardner.  Others took it to mean for CAS, and ran with it CAS--which is fine--because that is the purpose of this site and how I got interested in BP in the first place. 

Plus, CAS BP drives the industry IMHO, so I wanted some direction from the masters here (as opposed to elsewhere), and have received such.

So thank you all :D

Here are links to archived discussions. Within each thread there are links to even more information. When you decide on C&B revolvers or cartridge guns let us Dark Siders know and we'll be able to provide more specific answers.

BTW loading BP is a whole lot easier than that new fangled smokeless stuff.

Capt Baylor's site is one of the best to get you started.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

the firing line has some good info on cap n ball. 

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207028

you might read this info. 

http://www.geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps1Mobile.html

I’ve fitted my (4) revolvers with SliXshot nipples and use remington #10 caps. I’ve use 4 different guns and shot 240 rounds without a jam or misfire. 

I heard one must make sure the primer actually has the goesbanger in it. I had that stuff fall out of one cap. I just put it back in, stuck it on the nipple and bang!

I’ve only started this cap gun fun myself and have been enjoying the learnin’ and setup as much as shootin’

If your asking about which maker is going to provide the best revolver it is going to depend on your wallet, your knowledge of guns, your willingness to deal with short comings and such. 

Common clones are colt and remington and many have their preference and opinions. Many sites outside of this one have plenty of discussions on pros and cons of the different guns available. 

Archived