SASS Wire Forum

Shotshell reloading

Howdy

Something I just noticed when reloading re-claimed shot with the Mec Junior. Now  when using a 1 oz bar I get around 7 / 8   & when using the 7/8 bar  it's dropping 3/4.. I checked my Mec 900 that I use for trap & with new shot drops the correct amount  [ 1 oz ]..

Would I be right in saying because reclaimed shot varies in size between 6-9  that the charge bar is not an even fill ?

What say 'ye.......

Is the reclaimed shot coated with graphite?  If not it can flow poorly.  Perhaps the cavity on your charge bar is not getting filled fully.

I have had a lot of problems with the shot bridging in the powder drop due to two or three pallets mashed together. I got tired of picking up shot so I quit buying it.

1.  Always stir a bar magnet through reclaimed shot before loading it.  Steel shot on our steel targets pits the surface, and bounces back toward posse at high speed, and it is prohibited under SASS rules.  

2.  While you have the shot in a container, add about a tablespoon of powdered graphite per 25 pounds of shot and stir it in well until no loose graphite is seen.  This will lubricate the shot to flow through the measure bushings easier.  Powdered graphite can be obtained in lock stores and departments at big box stores - used for lubricating lock mechanisms.

3.   Mixed shot sizes (as reclaimed usually is) normally will pack CLOSER TOGETHER and thus HEAVIER into a bushing than does new shot that is all one size.  So, since you get light drops, either problem 2 above is affecting you, or your shot is contaminated with something lighter than lead (small gravel chunks, dirt, or even steel shot (#1 above).

Good luck, GJ

Since I load All Brass hulls with APP and use a dipper, it don't really matter.  This probably doesn't help, but what the heck .... it's a MONDAY!!

9 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Is the reclaimed shot coated with graphite?  If not it can flow poorly.  Perhaps the cavity on your charge bar is not getting filled fully.

Yes washed & graphited, contains no steel shot, all is reclaimed from clay target range.

I'm getting 1oz with that shot Mohawk on my Mec 600.

I think the bar is for 7/8 oz and use the 7/8 oz wad (grey).

I'll check the number.

7 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

1.  Always stir a bar magnet through reclaimed shot before loading it.  Steel shot on our steel targets pits the surface, and bounces back toward posse at high speed, and it is prohibited under SASS rules.  

2.  While you have the shot in a container, add about a tablespoon of powdered graphite per 25 pounds of shot and stir it in well until no loose graphite is seen.  This will lubricate the shot to flow through the measure bushings easier.  Powdered graphite can be obtained in lock stores and departments at big box stores - used for lubricating lock mechanisms.

3.   Mixed shot sizes (as reclaimed usually is) normally will pack CLOSER TOGETHER and thus HEAVIER into a bushing than does new shot that is all one size.  So, since you get light drops, either problem 2 above is affecting you, or your shot is contaminated with something lighter than lead (small gravel chunks, dirt, or even steel shot (#1 above).

Good luck, GJ

GJ..I would have thought the same size shot would pack more evenly where as the mixed shot would not 'pack down as well...I have been loading the reclaimed for years & have never had any problems with the finished shell or performance...just time up my sleeve &  I went investigating  !!

4 minutes ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

GJ..I would have thought the same size shot would pack more evenly where as the mixed shot would not 'pack down as well...I have been loading the reclaimed for years & have never had any problems with the finished shell or performance...just time up my sleeve &  I went investigating  !!

If you are getting a good tight crimp and good performance on the targets, I think that is what counts!

Stop looking for stuff to worry about!!  :o

Shoot well, pard.

would have thought the same size shot would pack more evenly where as the mixed shot would not 'pack down as well

There's a large volume of math and practical testing that materials science has done on particle size, and packing density.  Briefly, perfect spheres all of the same size leave 26% air space around the spheres in the main part of a container, and even more air space percentage next to the walls of the container.   But with a mix of large and small spheres, there are ways to get the small spheres in between the bigger ones, and packing density goes up.     Take a full jar of marbles (silica) and pour sand (silica, but smaller particles) into it until you can't get any more sand in.    You've increased the packing density.   Even the difference between 7.5 and 8 shot allows packing to get more dense as the particles are vibrated into a container.

Now, if shot were perfect cubes or several other straight walled objects, THOSE can possibly pack to 100% density - no air spaces.    Deformed shot can be a little more densely packed that perfectly round shot.  There's more small irregular areas on the shot to slip into the air spaces.

Road beds are made by taking advantage of the same principles.   Large aggregate rock is placed, rolled down with heavy equipment, then finer gravel is placed and rolled down into it, and sand after that, usually with the addition of some water to help the particles move better.   You end up with a road base that is as dense as solid rock, and almost as stable and strong, with very little air space in it to let the base start moving around under heavy traffic.

Good luck, GJ

8 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Mohawk,

I've switched to an adjustable powder bar for my MEC.  That way you can adjust it so you are getting a reliable 1oz. drop.

42 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

same here

kept losing the bushings

I switch so that I can fine tune the shot charge to give me the perfect crimp.  Especially helpful loading BP.

I have never found a MEC bar or bushing to 'throw' what it said it does.

Put one of these in my 42 yo MEC 600jr, many years ago.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Universal-Charge-Bar-C-single-stage-w_Powder-Baffle/productinfo/2100001/

OLG

Archived