At least the Luftwaffe  put two more wheels on it. :D

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
20 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Payen PA-112

Image result for Payen PA-112

The Japanese verseion wasn't much better

When you said more ugly I thought you were referring to my first girl friend.  :FlagAm:

Anybody else thinking Studebaker        GW

On 5/6/2019 at 11:17 AM, Trailrider #896 said:

How about the GB (GeeBee)?  Can't recall who flew it...might have been Jimmy Doolittle.  But it was unstable as all getout!

Lowell Bayles was killed in the model Z when trying to achieve a world speed record in 1931. Doolittle won the Thompson with the R-1 in 1932. Russell Boardman was killed in the same plane in 1933 Bendix Trophy race.

42 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Lowell Bayles was killed in the model Z when trying to achieve a world speed record in 1931. Doolittle won the Thompson with the R-1 in 1932. Russell Boardman was killed in the same plane in 1933 Bendix Trophy race.

Some aircraft designer should have been prosecuted...for violating the laws of aerodynamics!  Of course, as I told Wilbur and I told Orville, and I'm telling you... It'll never get off the ground! :P  And, in these cases, they shouldn't have! :wacko:

It seems to Me that the only thing of beauty coming out of France is their woman.Their cars, guns and planes tent to be ugly.

15 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

How about the Brewster Buffalo, the B-10 Martin or  P-39 Aircobra?

More than ugly....

None of those strike me as ugly.   The B-10's only really odd feature was that kind of birdcage canopy at the nose.  

The Buffalo was blunt nosed and not particularly elegant,  but far from ugly. 

And the P-39 was a good looking ship.

The P-39 is one of the coolest looking planes of its era, IMO. It and the P-40 would have performed better if the US had a better inline engine than the underpowered Allison. Even the P-51 was an underachiever until powered with a Merlin. 

The Buffalo was a groundbreaking airframe when designed in the 30’s. But the Navy kept adding requirements that weighed it down without increasing its horsepower. Kinda like making an F-150 haul as much as a deuce n a half. 

7 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

It seems to Me that the only thing of beauty coming out of France is their woman.Their cars, guns and planes tent to be ugly.

Well... the Bugatti 100 may have been an exception.  :blush:

Unfortunately, it got interrupted by the Big War.  :(

(Note:  A replica was built in the US in 2015; sadly, it crashed on it's third flight, apparently due to an engine problem)

401810193_Bugatti100b.jpg.83b0c58f3d65ec12520e7013d002c981.jpg

619882271_Bugatti100a.thumb.jpg.7d446b8a1de5520aa8f87369e9d40eef.jpg

19 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

The P-39 is one of the coolest looking planes of its era, IMO. It and the P-40 would have performed better if the US had a better inline engine than the underpowered Allison. Even the P-51 was an underachiever until powered with a Merlin. 

The P-39 as originally designed was a decent performer.  Unfortunately, when the production orders were placed, they "all-wise" government specified the superchargers be omitted to save money, limiting it's effectiveness at higher altitudes.  

A former work buddy's dad flew P-39's in the Pacific... he loved it, and said the thing would "turn on a dime!"  He actually got a Zero, and shared in a second kill.  There was a painting depicting the event that hung on his son's office wall:

1113658507_P-39b.thumb.JPG.c5d9a9112e2325ddb85ed4d2e1e1bb46.JPG

The story goes that the Japanese pilot survived; when he was fished out of the drink he said he never knew what hit him.

Oh... Lt Leonard Frame was a dairyman ~ hence the "Elsie the Cow" tail art.  He retired from the Air Force Reserves as a Lt Colonel, and continued to fly into his 80's.

Archived