SASS Wire Forum

Time for a Kindle e-reader.

Like everyone else, I enjoy a good novel.  And, I have always preferred a real book in hardback or paperback, but now it seems so many print books have too small of a font (how did that happen) and my eyes easily tire.  So, after some research, I've decided to buy a Kindle Paperwhite 10.    Good reviews and top recommendation for seniors.  Now I'll soon see if I've wasted my money.

Anyone else use an e-reader?

I have, though I switched to an iPad mini a couple of years ago and installed the Kindle app. Really good at night as you don't have to turn off a lamp; just close it and lay it on the nightstand.

You can download the bible and study up for the Baptist category ;)

I do.  Two, in fact.  One, a Kindle Paperwhite, that was a hand-me-down from my wife.  Then she got me an upgrade to the Fire.  Fire is nice because I can go online with it if I need to. And it has a camera, plus other bells and whistles.  I use that one mostly at home or if we are out and about.   The Paperwhite I take with me if I'm going to the doctor's office or some other place where I know I'll be waiting a while.

I just use my phone.

I downloaded ReadEra, for free. With it I can fead epub, mobi (that's Kindle), pdf, word documents --- I have yet to find ANY type document it won't let me read.

I have a Kindle as well which I bought mostly because I was running out of room on the bookcases and the increasing cost of paperbacks and hardcovers has continued to increase.    For text only books the Kindle is great because you can change the font size to what is comfortable for you at any given time.

What the Kindle does not do well is handle books with lots of maps or photos, so for those books I still buy the paper versions.

I have the habit of reading in bed for a while before I go to sleep.  A Kindle is perfect for that.  No putting a marker in.  No reaching around to put it on the side table or into the headboard bookshelf.  No turning out the light.  Get in bed, turn out the light, read for a while, punch a button and shove it under my pillow.  Or, more likely, just fall asleep while reading, the Kindle drops out of my hand and in a few minutes turns off.

BQ I feel your pain.

Our home is full of books and I love the feel but when my wife bought me a Kindle there was just no going back, I love it.

You can carry it around and read what you want when you want I cant go back to books apart from Refrence Books and anything with a lot of Pics or Maps (as said by Chantry).

I just can’t do it. It seems to tire my eyes more than a book.

Plus when I sometimes need to go bak and find something to refresh my memory or clarify something, 8 find a book much easier to work with.

My wife doesn’t seem to have the same problems with her e reader. I guess it’s an individual thing.

BQ,

If you have an IPad or IPhone, why don't you just put the Kindle app on the device. I'm pretty sure you can get an app for androids also.  The apps work just like my wife says her Kindle does. You can buy the books on Amazon and they download to your device. If you're reading on one, then switch to the other, the app will update that device to where you left off on the other one. 

Regardless, I found the devices much easier on older eyes as you can enlarge as you go. The big thing I found was the type remained the same size across the page without distortions like a book would produce. Also there is no distortion on the side where it is bound.

PF

I've used Kindles for about 9 years now, and am currently using the Paper White version. 

I highly recommend them, although I do leave mine at the lowest light emitting level.

I try to minimize the amount of computer light into my eye's as we get to bed time, it helps me sleep easier.

I love that I can download many books from my library at a time, up to 25, and if I find I didn't like the

author, or this particular book wasn't up to snuff I can return it in a minute, without getting in the car.

I rarely read dead-tree publications anymore, the occasional gun or boating magazine is about it.

They're also great if you travel, you can load up with a couple of dozen novels, and if one is boring,

you switch to another, without taking up space in your luggage!

HTH,

Shadow Catcher

My Kindle is so old I don't even remember what version I have.  It's useless for communication, though the capability exists in theory.   I've read for knowledge and pleasure all my life and the English major in me fought the technology but the family gave me the Kindle for Christmas years ago, and I'm still using it.  Yes, I could download the app into my ipad but the Kindle is smaller & lighter -- perfect size for travel.  Phone is too small for old eyes.  I purchase from BookBub and Amazon and also borrow from my local library.  AND I don't have room for another stack of hardbacks in the house.

I read books on my iPad. I used to buy 3-5 books a month or more at the local Barnes and Noble but I haven’t bought a book there in six years or more since I’ve been using the iPad.

Odd Guy Out !!!  I have the NOOK Color.  I keep about 10 or 15 books on it at a time.  I take it everywhere.  Especially when either I or my sweetheart have an appointment at the VA Hospital (lots of those).  Change the font size, change the page brightness,  change the page color, it's back-lit and it's a very handy size.  Never used a Kindle.  HOWEVER:

If/When I decide to upgrade, it'll be an iPad mini.  All those features plus a gob more.  Plus I have MAC everything else.

YMMV 

Not so odd, CC.  :)

I wore out my Nook Color several years ago (it had been a Christmas gift from my son).  I was heartbroken when the battery finally failed, so I upgraded to a newer Android Nook ~ a Samsung Galaxy S2.  It's wonderful!!  :lol:

Not only does t have all the E-Reader traits, it came loaded with Microsoft Office.  I bought a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and hey - the li'l tablet becomes an instant not-quite-laptop.  

So cool... lying in bed at night, finish a book I got hooked on and within seconds I'm reading the next in the series.  Maybe ordering a new set of dies from Amazon, or parts from Brownells.  Or checking in on the Wire.  ;) 

There is something that bothers me about e-readers and considering that an e version of a book is usually 5 to 10 $ while a quality print version can be 25 or 30 I accept the flaws and understand why others do also.

in a good print edition, the typographer tries to make the pages attractive, avoiding rivers, widows, orphans and OWLs(one word lines) as well as trying to do a good job with hyphenation and justification.

the ereader negates any such work because the page size is different for all devices, and if you select a different font or point size and the decisions are left to that tiny CPU inside your device.  Additionally the eversion is often created by an OCR which makes numerous errors which rarely it corrected.

in short, the pages are ugly.

Kindle fire, Kindle app on phone and computer.  Still have a lot of hard copy books, and buy more regularly, but I find the convenience of the Kindle to sure be nice.  I signed up for a service called Book Bub, that offers discounted titles regularly.  I've been buying L'Amour books as the show up discounted (most for $1.99).  I've got about two dozen of them so far.  

Another vote for Book Bub!

A daily email listing that day's offerings ~ some days more than others, always very low prices (sometimes one- or two-day "sale prices"), and sometimes free.

I've actually found some of the "free" books to be pretty decent; I've gotten hooked on several series by 'em.  

I have been using an ipad mini with Kindle app for several years, just upgrqded to ipad 9.7.  Old eyes just needed a little larger font plus my old ipad was maxed out on OS upgrades and memory.

Blackfoot

I still read paper books, I use my "readers" and I'm fine!

PLUS ONE to Hardpan!!  You betcha.  Book Bub ROCKS.  Same same.  Have fallen into some Free, or 99 cents or a Buck 99 that were really good reads and hooked me into some fine series.  Too much good reading.  Plus, if I do happen on a 99 cent or Free book I don't like, I don't feel bad about archiving it and moving on :rolleyes:

Archived