SASS Wire Forum

I need a Cajun cook

Noz

I cooked a crawfish/shrimp boil last night.  Didn't turn out so good.  The beasties were tasty and good but very hard to get them out of the shell.  What did I do?

I don't do mudbugs, but with boiled shrimp you start at an edge, by the legs, and peel it over across the back and down the other side. You don't get them OUT OF the shell - you take the shell OFF OF them.

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I don't do mudbugs, but with boiled shrimp you start at an edge, by the legs, and peel it over across the back and down the other side. You don't get them OUT OF the shell - you take the shell OFF OF them.

I can usually only buy shrimp that have already had the poop chute removed (“deveined”) so I start peeling near the “shoulders”.

With crawfish pull the head off, pinch the tail and squeeze forward as you suck the meat out.

With shrimp, pretty much the same but due to size I can easily use fingers to pull the meat out.

Had me a mess of crawfish and boiled corn and potatoes yesterday on Pensacola Beach.:D

How much is too long?

6 hours ago, Noz said:

How much is too long?

I like to boil 'em till they start to turn red and then turn the fire off and let 'em soak.

They'll continue to cook after the fire is off.

Put 'em in a tray and sprinkle liberally (one of the few instances I like that word:ph34r:) with Tony Chachere's.

No, no, no.  Once they turn red haul 'em out & eat 'em.  It doesn't take but a minute.  If hard to peel they may have been old; i.e. out of the water too long.

9 hours ago, MizPete said:

No, no, no.  Once they turn red haul 'em out & eat 'em.  It doesn't take but a minute.  If hard to peel they may have been old; i.e. out of the water too long.

There ya go!

Blackfoot:excl:

11 hours ago, MizPete said:

Yep. That's why I said until they start to turn red. They'll continue to cook in the hot water while they soak up some more of that good flavor. When they're all red, take 'em out and dust 'em while they're still hot and wet. 

Archived