SASS Wire Forum

1911 MAGAZINES for WILD BUNCH

dahoney

Considering Ed Brown 7 Round Magazines for Wild Bunch.  Anyone using these and how are they preforming?   

Previously used Chip McCormick, Brownells, and Springfield.

Experience with these???

Thanks 

i use chip mccormic in my competition 1911s , but i have not shot WB yet , you want something that works reliably , you can find a good load a reliable mag and a pistol that functions when you use it you got it right , my recommendation is always to buy the ones others are successful with , ask - they will tell you , no bad advice is given intentionally here , this is mine , 

McCormick mags have a weakly designed follower, that allows rounds to nose dive especially on last round in mag.  Won't do that in all guns, or even all the time.  

If you have McCormick mags now, a low cost upgrade is to contact Tripps (on-line) or Brownells

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/1911-45acp-cobra-magazines-prod55220.aspx

100-011-354WB
1911 7rd Magazine Govt
    Mfr Part: 7R45WG

and get the spring and follower that they provide.   Makes a McCormick body into a mag that runs almost like a Tripp.

All my mags are Tripps, except a couple of Colt factory mags from the 70s.   Everything else has been discarded over the 50 years I've shot 1911s.  No plastic or polymer base pad that extends the mag body below the grip frame is allowed.

Good luck, GJ

4 hours ago, Medicine Creek Johnny said:

Almost all the top shooters I know use Tripp magazines

I've heard a lot of good about them, so I ordered nine of them a few months ago. The mags are great, but I'm still not a top shooter. B)

1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I've heard a lot of good about them, so I ordered nine of them a few months ago. The mags are great, but I'm still not a top shooter. B)

Good one, JBB! :lol:

Can any of y'all recommend reliable mag's for the Auto-Ordnance 1911?

I recently picked one up to compete in WB & while I've not shot it yet with non AO mag's, I have read on various forums they may be finicky. 

2 minutes ago, Mat Basterson said:

Can any of y'all recommend reliable mag's for the Auto-Ordnance 1911?

I recently picked one up to compete in WB & while I've not shot it yet with non AO mag's, I have read on various forums they may be finicky. 

It's a 1911, and the two I've worked with ran any quality magazine without problem.  They both did Wilson Combat and CMC with no problem.

I use 7 Tripp mags and 1 colt mag made ages ago because its never failed me (knock on wood). Still have yet to clean them for the past 5 or 6 years. Blood, dirt, rain, mud...Never failed. I like em a little on the trashy side. 

23 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

That is because you only ordered 9 of them...If you had ordered 10 you would be a top shooter...That is where the cut off is...

Texas Lizard

Archived