SASS Wire Forum

What would you pay for this?

Alpo

They took an Interarms stainless PPK in 380. Engraved it with oak leaves, gold-plated it,

35F546E1-3CD6-4A5D-A8F6-87AF567381D8.thumb.jpeg.79b288444cb8f3ada34a662662651482.jpeg

and gave it a fancy plastic grip with a MI6's symbol on it.

D8F5C02A-ABD8-4A5C-A577-2401A7720985.thumb.jpeg.424fb6ce52622ecf356b5b966c8f8101.jpeg

Wallah. Instant collector's item commemorating the British secret service and James Bond.

1FDE5DAF-6EE4-488B-9989-D31F2C55D182.thumb.jpeg.2cde3fe61b2046939130fc096f051500.jpeg

This one recently sold for $1,000. When I saw it I was thinking I might pay three hundred. Then I would have to send it to a plating place to have that gold taken off. That'd probably add a couple hundred dollars to the price. Replace the grips. I'd probably end up with about 600 in it but I'd have a decent looking gun. Except for that banner on the right side.

17 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

fake engraving 

They claim that's the real deal. Hammer and chisel.

This was the description of one that sold on Auction Arms in 2012.

>Walther PPK .380; #53o f 500 series issued by the American Historical Foundation in honor of the British Secret Intelligence Service (MI-6). This is an original, fully functional German PPK that has been beautifully hand engraved and plated in 24K gold;Brand New in Box - NEVER BEEN SHOT. Includes original box, documented paperwork, pistol, and 2 magazines. From the American Historical Foundation: James Bond adventures are grounded in part in reality. For their creator, Ian Fleming, served in British Naval Intelligence and worked with the British Secret Intelligence Service, known as “MI-6”. It was James Bond’s frequent use of the Walther PPK that helped make this pistol famous: Agent 007 was issued his in 1962 in Dr. No. The PPK is well known as a favorite for personal defense among intelligence officers worldwide. Precision-built and reliable, its small size makes it ideal for concealment. But, in spite of the fame of the Walther PPK and its linkage to MI-6, there has never been a Special Edition Walther commemorating the British Secret Intelligence Service, making this a world’s “First”. It is the “Crown Jewel” of “Her Majesty’s Secret Service”. The American Historical Foundation is proud to bring you a special collectors edition of this pistol that honors the suspense and intrigue of the agents who are part of the secret world of MI-6. From the American Historical Foundation: This Limited Edition Walther is a museum-quality piece. Traditional acorn-and-oakleaf engraving covers both sides, all hand cut using the time honored hammer-and-chisel method. The polishing is jewel-like, as is the 24-Karat Gold plating—to Jewelers Grade-Heavy thickness for lasting beauty and value. Even the grips are special—custom made of faux ivory, embellished in bas relief. As your immediate guarantee of collectibility, this edition is strictly limited to only 500, worldwide. Each pistol bears its own special registry number between 001-500, with the prefix “MI-6”, engraved on the triggerguard. With the history and fame of the PPK, no collection of firearms is complete without one—and this is the “Crown Jewel”. This lively Limited Edition will make for more interesting conversation (and demonstration) than anything else in your collection<

5-26-12iphone-128.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Alpo, I wouldn't pay anywhere close to whatever they are asking.  I suspect it's between $2,000 to $5,000.

The one I asked about sold day before yesterday for a grand. The one I referenced in my response to Forty sold for 1100. I just found one on Rock Island that sold for 2300. Can't find the issue price, though.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:18 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Bbbbut The Man with the Golden Gun?

The Other man with the golden gun. :D

Once you slap gold on a gun, I kind of lose interest.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:47 AM, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Anyone else suddenly craving BBQ?

That's more a fondue gun.

• 2 months later...

I used to run waste treatment for a plating shop. We used  24 carat gold cobalt if I remember correctly. Man, we sure ruined some nice guns.

On 5/5/2019 at 10:29 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If it was given to me I would appreciate it. 

I wouldn’t buy it, regardless of price.

I might if I could get it for under a hundred bucks.  I'd roll it over ASAP for whatever I could get some sucker to pay for it.

Archived