SASS Wire Forum

Just Want To Ride My Mortarcycle

Subdeacon Joe

A Beemer with a boom!

Or is that a Zvezda with an 82m?

Yeah. Pretty sure it’s Roosians.

On 5/5/2019 at 8:12 AM, Flanigan Flats said:

I am an old 11C!!!! That made me smile. Thanks

MY father-in-law humped a mortar tube in the Pacific with the 77th Inf Div. Until some counter mortar fire  got his number on Okinawa in '45. Finished the war in the hospital in Atlanta.

He was a skinny kid from Philly. Couldn't have weighed120 soaking wet with boots on...so naturally they made him a mortarman. I guess they had already given out the BARs. :D

carrasco.jpg

19 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

MY father-in-law humped a mortar tube in the Pacific with the 77th Inf Div. Until some counter mortar fire  got his number on Okinawa in '45. Finished the war in the hospital in Atlanta.

He was a skinny kid from Philly. Couldn't have weighed120 soaking wet with boots on...so naturally they made him a mortarman. I guess they had already given out the BARs. :D

I used to wonder about that. The movies always show the largest, most burly actor playing the guy who carries the BAR or M60, but I found out that in real life they didn't care how large or small you were. That's why you could have a muscle man in your platoon with an M1 Carbine and the scrawny kid gets to drag the BAR behind him.

21 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

"...and I don't want to die. Just want to ride my motorcy...cle."

You and Go West must have had the same Arlo Guthrie album I had in the late 60's.  Now I can't get that tune out of my head.  Oh well . . .

Definite ear worm. :lol:

Archived