SASS Wire Forum

Could Someone Please Tell Me What This Is Worth?

Kid Death 6683

As you can see the barrel is a little over 10" long & weights 3lbs. & 10ozs. & the hole measures 5/8" across or 0.630", I don't know what caliber or gauge 5/8" or 0.630" equates to. The barrel, wheels & things that hold the barrel to whatever it's mounted too are made of brass, a magnet will not stick to it, the axle is steel. It's made to be shot, as you can see, it has a flash hole. My daddy & nephew used to shoot it often. I bet a 20ga. plastic wad over 5grs. of black powder with a marble would be a fun load.

NRA Patriot Life Member

SASS Life Member #6683

Cannon-Pics-001.jpg

Cannon-Pics-002.jpg

Cannon-Kit-001.jpg

Are you sure it is brass?  You might want to put a magnet to it to see if it is actualy steel or iron.

That thing has a LOT of value! 

It's worth all the fun you're going to have with it after you fabricate a carriage and load it up and make noise and smoke~!  ^_^

(Speaking from experience... :rolleyes: )

And 5/8" = 0.625.  Twenty gauge is nominally 0.615.  Measure it again with an inside caliper.  ;)

As-Is ..... maybe 2 Bucks.  With all the missing parts .... Maybe 3 Bucks.  If you ever load it with Gun Powder, use a fuse and stand behind something very solid.  DO NOT light it off in yer car port.

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

As-Is ..... maybe 2 Bucks.  With all the missing parts .... Maybe 3 Bucks.  If you ever load it with Gun Powder, use a fuse and stand behind something very solid.  DO NOT light it off in yer car port.

Sounds like someone speaking from unpleasant experience...

Based on your measurements, and the comments of others, it's close too, but not exactly 20 gauge bore diameter.   My gut tells me to get the fiber wads made for use in all brass shotshells.   If you were loading 20 gauge, you'd get 19 gauge wads, for example.  Figure out what the right size you need is and get some of those.

Good luck.

A plastic wad & a few marbles would be so much easier & quicker to load, thus more fun.

Here's my 1/2 inch, (.50 cal.) on a Naval Gun Carriage.

I just fire salutes from it, using a Kleenex wad. Jumps around a bit with FFFg

Mine is from an old VTI kit.

IMG_1951.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

Archived