SASS Wire Forum

It has occurred to me.....

.....after watching a few hundred hours of WWII documentaries, the from Pearl harbor (and before for some of our friends) until the last round was fired during that war, we humans on both sides blew up one hell of a lot of sea water.  We also polluted the oceans with oil, iron, and a almost every other toxic substance known, tore up hundreds of thousands of acres of earth, poisoned the atmosphere with smoke and other chemicals and killed millions of people, millions of pounds of livestock and groceries, wild life and timber, and damaged or destroyed hundreds of thousands of buildings huge and tiny

and yet the planet is still here, still thriving, still chugging along at its own pace.  How can anyone seriously contend that our puny automobiles and factories and aerosol cans can destroy this amazing planet.

Item #2:  I wonder, from watching these same documentaries, how many of our ships and planes and ground forces were damaged or destroyed, and how many of our people were injured or killed, by "friendly fire".  I see rounds being fired all over the place and not all of them hit the enemy or sea water or turf.  

Has there ever been a published document addressing these issues?

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

.....after watching a few hundred hours of WWII documentaries, the from Pearl harbor (and before for some of our friends) until the last round was fired during that war, we humans on both sides blew up one hell of a lot of sea water.  We also polluted the oceans with oil, iron, and a almost every other toxic substance known, tore up hundreds of thousands of acres of earth, poisoned the atmosphere with smoke and other chemicals and killed millions of people, millions of pounds of livestock and groceries, wild life and timber, and damaged or destroyed hundreds of thousands of buildings huge and tiny

and yet the planet is still here, still thriving, still chugging along at its own pace.  How can anyone seriously contend that our puny automobiles and factories and aerosol cans can destroy this amazing planet.

Item #2:  I wonder, from watching these same documentaries, how many of our ships and planes and ground forces were damaged or destroyed, and how many of our people were injured or killed, by "friendly fire".  I see rounds being fired all over the place and not all of them hit the enemy or sea water or turf.  

Has there ever been a published document addressing these issues?

It aint that, it's those pesky cow farts. Everybody knows cow farts cause global warmin.:ph34r:

After VJ day a lot of equipment was dumped into the Pacific ocean.  I was told by a logistics contractor employee on Kwajalein atoll in 1985, when I was there to provide installation guidance for the diesel generators my employer sold to the DOJ, that the Navy dumped tons of equipment in the deep ocean trench off Kwajalein.  I wonder if the Navy removed all the hazardous & toxic liquids from the fleet of ships nuked off Eniwetok?

53 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

After VJ day a lot of equipment was dumped into the Pacific ocean.  I was told by a logistics contractor employee on Kwajalein atoll in 1985, when I was there to provide installation guidance for the diesel generators my employer sold to the DOJ, that the Navy dumped tons of equipment in the deep ocean trench off Kwajalein.  I wonder if the Navy removed all the hazardous & toxic liquids from the fleet of ships nuked off Eniwetok?

I read that they did remove all liquids from the ships that were used in the Bikini tests.

15 hours ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

And I have wondered what percent of military personnel active at the start of the war were still alive at it's conclusion. 

I could not find that actual statistic, but (all from Wikipedia)

US MILITARY PERSONNEL (1939-1945)

Year Army Navy Marines Coast Guard Total
1939    189,839 125,202 19,432   334,473
1940    269,023 160,997 28,345   458,365
1941   1,462,315   284,427 54,359   1,801,101
1942   3,075,608   640,570 142,613 56,716* 3,915,507
1943   6,994,472   1,741,750   308,523  151,167 9,195,912
1944   7,994,750   2,981,365  475,604 171,749 11,623,468
1945   8,267,958   3,380,817  474,680 85,783 12,209,238

*Coast Guard listed only as wartime strength

Total deaths from all causes 407,300

total involvement in the military was higher than 12 million of course due to discharge and casualty counts.but the percentage or fatalities from the total is around 3.3%.

the 8.6 /1000 below does not mesh with the above stats, by a big number, it’s not even close. The 407,300 includes all causes though.

PROFILE OF US SERVICEMEN (1941-1945)

• 38.8% (6,332,000) of U.S. servicemen and all servicewomen were volunteers
  • 61.2% (11,535,000) were draftees
  • Average duration of service: 33 months
  • Overseas service: 73% served overseas, with an average of 16 months abroad
  • Combat survivability (out of 1,000): 8.6 were killed in action, 3 died from other causes, and 17.7 received non-fatal combat wounds
  • Non-combat jobs: 38.8% of enlisted personnel had rear echelon assignments—administrative, support, or manual labor.
  • Average base pay: enlisted—$71.33 per month; officer—$203.50 per month

13 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:
  • Combat survivability (out of 1,000): 8.6 were killed in action, 3 died from other causes, and 17.7 received non-fatal combat wounds

I have a hard time believing that. If true then being a US Infantryman during the war was hardly any more dangerous than being a logger.

Sorry, I didn't see your comment at the middle of your post. :blush:

One thing's for sure, the sheer waste of taxpayer-funded equipment after the war bordered on criminal. I've heard stories that'd make any militaria collector cringe. Unfortunately at the time it was considered far cheaper to just bury it or dump it into the ocean than to ship it back to the USA.

4 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

One thing's for sure, the sheer waste of taxpayer-funded equipment after the war bordered on criminal. I've heard stories that'd make any militaria collector cringe. Unfortunately at the time it was considered far cheaper to just bury it or dump it into the ocean than to ship it back to the USA.

Consider that surplus liberty ships were going for $100. We certainly didn’t want to maintain them.

40 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

You should see what we did when we left 'Nam.  It would make you cry.

On 5/4/2019 at 2:21 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

.....after watching a few hundred hours of WWII documentaries, the from Pearl harbor...

My Dad was the officer of the day on the California, December 7 1941.

As such, he was the last man (alive) off the California some 10 hours later.
He was bitter about it being a setup... and about walking across the guts and brains of what used to be his shipmates.

Archived