Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pat Riot, SASS #13748

Star Trek or Star Wars?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Remember Flash Gordon?

 

Of course!  :)

 

Watched the serials back in the 50's (they were old then!)... and even enjoyed the VERY colorful 1980 movie.  ^_^

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was overseas when ST first came out and by the time I got back home it had been cancelled.  I never saw all of the episode until a couple of years ago when I got them from Netflix and watched them in order.  I have no idea how nor why that show took off, but the sequels were (sometimes) good.

 

Saw the first SW in a theater in California with an gigantic screen.  Loaded the kids and wife in thecar to go home and a few miles out I got a speeding ticket for flying my X wing fighter on the freeway.  The first three released were good but the rest were garbage.

 

How does anyone feel about Babylon 5 or some of the other movies and / or series?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Remember Flash Gordon?

Remember Buzz Corey, Commander-In-Chief of The Sapaaaaaaaaace Patrol?

 

C-in-C running around with a Cadet, saving the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I was overseas when ST first came out and by the time I got back home it had been cancelled.  I never saw all of the episode until a couple of years ago when I got them from Netflix and watched them in order.  I have no idea how nor why that show took off, but the sequels were (sometimes) good.

 

Saw the firs SW in a teated in California with an gigantic screen.  Loaded the kids and wife in thecar to go home and a few miles out I got a speeding ticker for flying my X wing fighter on the freeway.  The first three release were good but the rest were garbage.

 

How does anyone feel aboutBabylon 5 or some of the other movies and / or series?

ST was cancelled because the Nielsens said nobody was watching it.  It turns out that the Nielsen’s sampling technique was flawed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About Babylon 5. B5 was aired in the U.K. MONTHS BEFORE USA.  Brits in my company recorded it and the next day we had a conference room booked for a lunch meeting to watch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found that Star Wars does not age well and of the original 3 movies, the Empire Strikes Back is probably the best, mostly because George Lucas did not direct.   Weak scripts and bad directing have turned the rest of the movies of the main time line into average movies at best, saved mostly by the spectacular special effects.  Of the two movies outside of the main timeline, Rogue One & Solo, I thought both were well done and while not great movies, they were above average.

 

As for Star Trek, the original series has really good episodes and some that were pretty bad, something to be expected with the ever shrinking budget on the show.  Deep Space Nine did not really hit it's stride until it's third season.  Some of  the better episodes are "The Visitor', 'In the Pale Moonlight' and "Trials and Tribulations".  Of all the Star Trek TV shows, DS9 consistently had the best writing and acting.

 

As for the rest, Star Trek: The Next Generation had some good episodes, but after re-watching it, I found most the episodes to be average at best.  The same applies to Voyager and Enterprise.    Season one of Star Trek: Discovery was interesting, with a strong cast, but some of the writing wasn't as good as it should have been.

 

As for the movies:  With the original cast, movies 1-4 and 6 were decent (1, 3-4) to very good (2&6).  Of the Next Generation cast only First Contact was good.  As for the re-boot, the movies do exactly what they are supposed to do: bring people to the movie theaters to make a big as profit as possible, even if that means the script is weak.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smuteye, that was a cool video.

 

 

I have yet to watch Babylon 5. It’s on my Netflix list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do we have to choose one over the other?  They both have their place and have been eclipsed by better sense.

 

If you make me choose, I'll say neither.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a new movie coming out called Rocketman all you Star Wars and Star trekkers should like:P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

There’s a new movie coming out called Rocketman all you Star Wars and Star trekkers should like:P.

 

I've seen that "Rocketman" a couple of times; he puts on a good show.  Recommend earplugs!  ^_^

 

But since we're getting off the original track, I'll toss in a vote for 1991's The Rocketeer~!   *:D big grin

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Lost In Space was the corniest of them all.

Really?  Doctor Who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

 

I've seen that "Rocketman" a couple of times; he puts on a good show.  Recommend earplugs!  ^_^

 

But since we're getting off the original track, I'll toss in a vote for 1991's The Rocketeer~!   *:D big grin

 

 

 

 

I love the Rocketeer. Got the movie poster framed in my gun room. :D

 

About as close as I will ever get to being a rocketeer is riding my motorcycles. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:35 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Greedo drew first.  Or, more correctly, had Solo at gunpoint, thereby threatening him, even saying that the "over my dead body" comment by Solo was the idea.  A clear case of self defense.

 

Lucas' modification of that scene is a perfect example of how he managed to ruin his own story. In the original, Solo's pre-emptive move against Greedo showed that he was a survivor who was willing to shoot first and save his own skin. In the later movies he redeemed himself as someone willing to think of others first. But Lucas changed the scene to have Greedo shooting first because he didn't want Solo to be anything but a righteous character, which he clearly wasn't at first. As much as I enjoyed the added special effects in the re-releases that modified scene ruined it for me. The way Solo's head went sideways and dodged the laser bolt didn't help either. And then the rest of the sequels/prequels have all been a bunch of garbage as far as I'm concerned with the exception of Rogue One.

 

I've never been into Star Trek so I can't comment on those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 2:56 PM, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Wasn't Star Wars about Sonny and Cher's divorce?

 

Duffield

Thought it was the Brangelina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

 

Lucas' modification of that scene is a perfect example of how he managed to ruin his own story. In the original, Solo's pre-emptive move against Greedo showed that he was a survivor who was willing to shoot first and save his own skin. In the later movies he redeemed himself as someone willing to think of others first. But Lucas changed the scene to have Greedo shooting first because he didn't want Solo to be anything but a righteous character, which he clearly wasn't at first. As much as I enjoyed the added special effects in the re-releases that modified scene ruined it for me. The way Solo's head went sideways and dodged the laser bolt didn't help either. And then the rest of the sequels/prequels have all been a bunch of garbage as far as I'm concerned with the exception of Rogue One.

 

I've never been into Star Trek so I can't comment on those.

Han just decided to shoot before Greedo did. 

 

In the immortal words of Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez,"If you are gonna shoot, shoot!  Don't talk!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Han just decided to shoot before Greedo did. 

 

In the immortal words of Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez,"If you are gonna shoot, shoot!  Don't talk!" 

 

Words to live by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucas quoted on the matter:

 

In a 2015 interview for

The Washington Post, Lucas said:

Han Solo was going to marry (Princess) Leia, and you look back and say, "Should he be a cold-blooded killer?" Because I was thinking mythologically—should he be a cowboy, should he be John Wayne? And I said, 'Yeah, he should be John Wayne.' And when you're John Wayne, you don't shoot people [first]—you let them have the first shot. It's a mythological reality that we hope our society pays attention to.

So according to George Lucas shooting first is being cold-blooded, even when your opponent already has a gun pointed at you and is threatening to kill you with it. Therefore if you want to be considered the good guy you need to let them shoot at you first. Got it. :huh:

 

Something tells me he never served, let alone saw combat. <_<

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 11:19 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Smuteye, that was a cool video.

 

 

I have yet to watch Babylon 5. It’s on my Netflix list.

B5 gets off to a bit of a weak start with season one, but it's necessary to set the stage.  Seasons 2, 3, and 4 are excellent with a good story line.  There was doubt that it would be picked up for season 5 (it was, but the damage was already done), but most of the story is done by the end of 4.  I skim through season 1, watch 2, 3, and 4, and forget 5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much like Star Trek Voyager. The first season has some episodes that are silly but help set up the following seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shotgun Clay said:

B5 gets off to a bit of a weak start with season one, but it's necessary to set the stage.  Seasons 2, 3, and 4 are excellent with a good story line.  There was doubt that it would be picked up for season 5 (it was, but the damage was already done), but most of the story is done by the end of 4.  I skim through season 1, watch 2, 3, and 4, and forget 5. 

J. Michael Straczynski, The writer/ creator of B5 originally wrote it as a five year show. When the network said it would be canceled after season four, rewrote it to finish the storyline in season four. When they announced season five, it kind of wound up being an add-on, and didn't work so well, especially without Garibaldi and Ivanava.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Much like Star Trek Voyager. The first season has some episodes that are silly but help set up the following seasons.

B5 was written from the start to have a 5 year story arc.  I think that ST  Deep Space 9 got much better in it's later seasons because of competition from B5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

J. Michael Straczynski, The writer/ creator of B5 originally wrote it as a five year show. When the network said it would be canceled after season four, rewrote it to finish the storyline in season four. When they announced season five, it kind of wound up being an add-on, and didn't work so well, especially without Garibaldi and Ivanava.

Yep, and it's pretty obvious.  It kind of wound down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked all of the Star Wars movies. I liked all the StarTrek series. Some of the movies were iffy. The last one with the space-age dirt bikes lost me.

 

On a side note, I have three stories published in the StarTrek Strange New Worlds series. Mine are in SNW 4, SNW 5, and SNW 8. Ironically, the SNW series sells so slowly, I will be long dead before I ever see a royalty check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Ironically, the SNW series sells so slowly, I will be long dead before I ever see a royalty check.

I know what you mean. A friend and I wrote a book a few years ago, but couldn't find a publisher, so we self-published. It's available, but nobody knows about it unless we tell them. 

Everybody that's read it loves it, but we've pushed it as far as we know how.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Really?  Doctor Who?

Don't be talking ugly about the doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been watching the Star Trek Voyager series for the second time. I am halfway through the second season. I did not recall how freakin’ annoying Neelix and Kes are. They get on my nerves. 

 

I had forgotten that 7 of 9 doesn’t appear until season 4. When she comes on the scene the series gets much better...and not because she’s a “Hottie” either. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what kept Star Wars going long after Return of the Jedi were the novels and comics. WAY better storylines than the movies, and fans were upset when Disney said they were removing them from the official canon and making up their own new storylines for the sequels. Having seen what they came up with only makes it hurt worse. To many hardcore fans the novels ARE the official storyline and the new movies are just some dumb new "alternate universe".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 8:23 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I love the Rocketeer. Got the movie poster framed in my gun room. :D

 

About as close as I will ever get to being a rocketeer is riding my motorcycles. ;)

Another keeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 10:19 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Smuteye, that was a cool video.

 

 

I have yet to watch Babylon 5. It’s on my Netflix list.

B-5 gets pretty good after they replace the wooden station commander with Bruce Boxleitner.  The first guy almost kept me from going on with the series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

B-5 gets pretty good after they replace the wooden station commander with Bruce Boxleitner.  The first guy almost kept me from going on with the series.

Wasn’t that a big part of the plot?  The whole go back in time to B4 and destroy it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Wasn’t that a big part of the plot?  The whole go back in time to B4 and destroy it?

 

Michael O'Hare, who was the original commander of B5, was suffering from serious mental health issues during the first season and chose to leave B5 at the end of the first season to seek treatment.  This only came out after O'Hare passed away, J. Michael Straczynski was probably the only person part of B5  who actually knew the real reason O'Hare left the show and at O'Hare's request kept the secret until O'Hare died.   O'Hare asked Straczynski that after he died to explain to the fans and the rest of the cast the real reason for him leaving the series, feeling that the fans deserved to know the real reason and it might help future sufferers with similar conditions.

 

I give credit to J. Michael Straczynski for swearing to keep the secret to his grave.  Sadly it seems rare to see that kind of decency and integrity from someone in Hollywood.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_O'Hare#Illness_and_death

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Wasn’t that a big part of the plot?  The whole go back in time to B4 and destroy it?

It was, but B4 wasn't destroyed, it was sent back in time to help the Mimbaree with their war. I think that having Sheridan go with it was a plot device to write him out and to need a new Commander. I had always thought that bringing in Bruce Boxleitner was to bring a more recognizable face to the series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.