SASS Wire Forum

Star Trek or Star Wars?

Pat Riot

Along the lines of “Ginger Vs Mary Ann”...are you a “Trekkie” or are you a “Star Wars Fan” - they don’t really have a catchy name from what I can find.

Anyway, I do like Star Wars but I am definitely a “Trekkie”. I love Star Trek. I love all the Star Trek shows and movies.

Trekkie or Warzian?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both.  Although after the first 4 movies Star Wars seemed just too much of more of the same. 

Of course, the first season or season and a half of TNG it seemed as if the writers were saying, "If we take Season 1, episode 3, and Season episode 2, and smash the story lines together it might work."

I liked the first Star Wars and then....zzzzzzzz I'm a Star Trek fan all the way!!

I've enjoyed the Wars movies... well, the early ones, anyway.

But Trek wins as MY favorite.

That said ~ Han shot first.  -_-

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

That said ~ Han shot first.

Greedo drew first.  Or, more correctly, had Solo at gunpoint, thereby threatening him, even saying that the "over my dead body" comment by Solo was the idea.  A clear case of self defense.

I liked both as a kid.

But Star Trek got turned into “save the whales” garbage. And Star Wars started repeating itself over and over again. New characters. Same story. 

1 hour ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I have never wasted a minute on either of them 

Yet you took the time to post.

I liked I, II and III (or if you wish to be picky, IV, V and VI). The fourth and fifth ones I didn't like. Didn't even go see #6. And they've made one or two about Leah and Han's kids? Ain't seen them. It no longer interests me.

Star Trek. Liked the old ones

Most of 'em, anyway. Next Generation - couldn't get into it. Saw some Deep Space Nine, a couple with the hollographic doctor. Don't think I ever saw any with Sam Beckett as the captain. Movie one sucked. Movie two was so-so. Save the whales wasn't bad, Wrath of Khan was GOOD. Then they revamped it. Spock banging Uhuru??? What the hell?

They both seem to follow the regular pattern.

Original idea - pretty good.

Sequel - not as good as the original.

The more sequels, the worse it gets.

I don't care for either.

Star trek was a ground breaking series that dealt a lot with moral and sociological issues. Star Wars was a horse opera/ War Movie in space.

Being a guy whose interest in reading as a young boy was sparked by the novels of Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov, et al, I enjoy a good syfy or fantasy film. Both series have been inconsistent in recent years as they try to appeal to the newer generations while trying to please their original fan base.

I have really enjoyed all the Lord of the Rings movies more. Harry Potter not so much.

I will “waste a minute” on most things. Just to see if they’re good or not.

I even liked the Lady Gaga movie. Didn’t think I would.

;)

28 minutes ago, Alpo said:

They both seem to follow the regular pattern.

Original idea - pretty good.

Sequel - not as good as the original.

I've noticed a general pattern of #1 pretty good, #2 a disappointment, #3 again pretty good.  From there, the glide slope of a brick thrown by a two year old.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Star trek was a ground breaking series that dealt a lot with moral and sociological issues. Star Wars was a horse opera/ War Movie in space.

Being a guy whose interest in reading as a young boy was sparked by the novels of Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov, et al, I enjoy a good syfy or fantasy film. Both series have been inconsistent in recent years as they try to appeal to the newer generations while trying to please their original fan base.

;)

I'm also a child of the Space Age, and the writings of all the above, and have always loved SyFy.

The problem with the new versions is that the Producers/ Directors want to put their own spin on them, NOT make them like somebody who was a fan would. 

I also liked both, but if pressed, would have to give the nod to Star Trek.  

4 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

The problem with the new versions is that the Producers/ Directors want to put their own spin on them,

I think it isn't a matter of them putting their own spin on things, but having to cater to the increasingly strident demands to be inclusive, politically correct, and socially aware.  Star Trek, TOS, was able to do that without kicking the audience in the teeth with it.

I’ve never seen a Star Wars movie and I found Star Trek goofy and boring but that’s just me.

Big fan of Star Trek the original series.  Still am.  The Next Generation, not so much.  Deep Space 9 got better once Babylon 5 started eating their lunch ( a great series, at least seasons 2-4).  The first Star Wars, skipped my last day in high school to see it on opening night.  Went downhill from there.  Not interested in either of them in their PC incarnations now.

30 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I think it isn't a matter of them putting their own spin on things, but having to cater to the increasingly strident demands to be inclusive, politically correct, and socially aware.  Star Trek, TOS, was able to do that without kicking the audience in the teeth with it.

The people remaking these shows simply aren't people who grew up as fans of the shows. I saw a special with Eugene Roddenberry, (Gene's son), and when he talked to J.J. Abrams, Abrams said he'd never actually SEEN Star Trek. How could he due justice to a show HE hadn't even seen, let alone didn't have a love for like so many of it's fans?.

As for inclusive, politically correct, and socially aware, the bridge crew of the Enterprise couldn't BE any more inclusive.  The difference in THAT crew and a similar crew of today is that THESE people were there because they were good at what they did, NOT because of what they looked like. Diverse people working together with a common goal, NOT diverse people trying to say "Look at me, I'm different!"

Too many people today don't get that.

I'm a big fan of Star Trek, TOS. I enjoyed several of the movies with the original cast. I tried to like TNG, never really watched Deep Space 9, and initially enjoyed Enterprise. I have even enjoyed the reboot, although not as much as the original. However, it seems that once City on the Edge of Forever became so iconic, everyone needed to do time travel, and could never do it nearly so well. Once NCC-1701 got blown up, everyone had to blow up follow on ships.

I'm also a big fan of the Star Wars Movies. In particular A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. The first three left me somewhat cold, except for learning how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader. The new ones I have enjoyed so far, but not nearly as much, although I think the biggest laugh I had in all of the movies was here:

https://tenor.com/view/luke-skywalker-shoulder-dust-star-wars-gif-10760625

While we're at it, can we talk Battlestar Galactica?  :D

20 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

difference in THAT crew and a similar crew of today is that THESE people were there because they were good at what they did, NOT because of what they looked like. Diverse people working together with a common goal, NOT diverse people trying to say "Look at me, I'm different!"

Too many people today don't get that.

Exactly.   As I wrote,  they did it without kicking the audience in the teeth.   

52 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I’ve never seen a Star Wars movie and I found Star Trek goofy and boring but that’s just me.

Think of it like this....

The first Star Wars movie was a western. Luke Skywalker was the young kid who wanted to be a gunfighter and avenge the murder of his family. Han Solo was the cool professional gunman. Chewbaca was his comical sidekick. Princess Leia was the schoolmarm in distress who needed saving but turned out to be mad of iron. Darth Vader was the evil cattle baron. Jawas were wild injuns. The cantina was populated with aliens. Some undocumented. Some not.

Now add spaceships and combat right out of 12 O’clock High and you have an entertaining 2 hours.

But that’s just me. ;)

3 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Think of it like this....

The first Star Wars movie was a western. Luke Skywalker was the young kid who wanted to be a gunfighter and avenge the murder of his family. Han Solo was the cool professional gunman. Chewbaca was his comical sidekick. Princess Leia was the schoolmarm in distress who needed saving but turned out to be mad of iron. Darth Vader was the evil cattle baron. Jawas were wild injuns. The cantina was populated with aliens. Some undocumented. Some not.

Now add spaceships and combat right out of 12 O’clock High and you have an entertaining 2 hours.

But that’s just me. ;)

Ah!! That puts a new light on it.

6 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Jaba the Hut was Al Swearingen?

He was evil Andy Devine. Or maybe Burl Ives in The Big Country. ;)

EA0D0E3B-DFFA-4A7D-8ED3-786AFACF5E2A.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Not if you go to Galactica 1980.<_<

Agreed.

Lost In Space was the corniest of them all.

Archived