SASS Wire Forum

WTB USFA Lowered Hammers

Yeah, I know it's a long-shot.  Maybe someone has a pair at the bottom of the parts box collecting dust.  Let me know if you have some that you'd part with.

Plan B would be to alter a set of used 2nd gen Colt hammers.  I thought about Pietta or Uberti hammers, but they're more than the use Colt hammers.

Because there will be no more USFAs, I'm hesitant to alter the original hammers.  My Colt expert gunsmith and I have compared a regular USFA hammer with a Colt 2nd gen hammer and they are a perfect match.  I have access to a pair of used Colt hammers at a very decent price; that's the route I think I'll go.

I just needed to see if there was a pair of original USFA lowered hammers out there before we "killed" two Colt hammers. 

21 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Because there will be no more USFAs, I'm hesitant to alter the original hammers.  My Colt expert gunsmith and I have compared a regular USFA hammer with a Colt 2nd gen hammer and they are a perfect match.  I have access to a pair of used Colt hammers at a very decent price; that's the route I think I'll go.

I just needed to see if there was a pair of original USFA lowered hammers out there before we "killed" two Colt hammers. 

I had the same issue this past Winter. I just couldn't see myself having the USFA hammers cut, and rewarded, since USFAs are now extinct. I bought a set of Uberti lower hammers from Texican Slim, that are just fine in my Rodeos. I believe he had another set of hammers for sale, in Feb or Mar. Don't remember what he was asking for 'em. Drop him a note.......see what pans out. 

Twer I ..... I'd be checking with Taylors and Cimarron or VTI for Uberti hammers.  Not cheap, but since USFA are built on UBERTI specs ...........

OOPS:  Should read "were" built on Uberti specs.

The new Cimarron Thunderstorm hammers really just "drop in" with no smithin at all & the 5 I've installed had great triggers. 1st. pic is a beautiful laser engraved Uberti with one I installed. 2nd. pic is a page out of new Cimarron catalog. 3rd. pic are my Evil Roys with a pair in them. I tried this pair in a pair of Long Hunter USFA Rodeos & the trigger pulls didn't change at all. The last pair Texican Slim sold went for $250. shipped. You won't be sorry you bought a pair of these hammers. sonny-34@hotmail.com

NRA Patriot Life Member

SASS Life Member #6683

James-s-Engraved-Uberti.jpg

Cimarron-THUNDERSTORM-001.jpg

Cimarron-Uberti-Evil-Roy-s-001.jpg

Kid Death,

How far into the web of your hand do these lower hammers go with your USFAs?  I have two pair of Piettas that came with lowered hammers and 1860 grips and I really like them.  A fellow shooter had a pair of Ubertis with lowered hammers and, when cocked, they extended way down into the web of your hand.  The Ubertis were not comfortable to me.

Mongo,

A new wrinkle.  As I mentioned about Uberti Hammers ....... USFA are built from Uberti Specs.  I would expect lowered hammers to be just as uncomfortable for you as any Jam and Fudge Uberti.  I had a pair of USFAs with OEM lower hammers and hated em.  Traded them in.  Unfortunately, before USFA went belly up and prices skyrocket'd  :ph34r:

Coffinmaker,

I'm going to play with the USFAs when they "come home" this weekend before I change the hammers.  When I traded them, I wasn't shooting gunfighter and I thought Rugers were the only way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived