SASS Wire Forum

basic rules assistance

Shifty Bob

8 minutes ago, Shifty Bob said:

I have a pair of Ruger Vaquero's and a Uberti 1873 both in 38/357. I have a 12 guage Stoger Coach. No holsters,  shirt, hat or boots yet. Any particular sites recommended to find some simple clothing?

I wouldn't worry too much about the clothing, you must have a long sleeved shirt somewhere in your closet, you don't need boots just don't wear tennis shoes and as was said NO HAT is required. You can pick up a cheap cowboy type at any western store or even WalMart may have some. No ball caps. 

You will need some holsters unless the club you're going to allows you to stage your pistols (depending on the stages) for your first time. I would call and ask ahead of time. You could go online and find some low priced holsters and belt. Good luck and welcome!!;)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are heading to our first match this morning as spectators.

We will  be hooking up with Allie Mo to learn the ropes.
The rule book is confusing to me, also.

I have no desire to shoot anything other than .357 and 12-gauge.
As I read the rule book (many times) the wording implied I am limited entirely to B-Western dress.
Neither of us are particularly wild about flashy bling.

More clarification and examples are needed for ammo belts, leather, Buscadero holstering, etc.

6 minutes ago, Shifty Bob said:

I have a pair of Ruger Vaquero's and a Uberti 1873 both in 38/357. I have a 12 guage Stoger Coach. No holsters,  shirt, hat or boots yet. Any particular sites recommended to find some simple clothing?

If you're on a tight budget like I was getting started (only last year) I found a lot of good deals on amazon. All you really need to get shooting is a pair of jeans, a henley style shirt for most age based categories you dont even need a hat. Now having said that there's a lot of people that say "buy once cry once" Which does hold water however I looked at it like buying a first car for my kids. You dont know exactly what they want until they get a little experience with it. When they're done with it you can set it aside and let the other kids use  it to learn in, you dont mind if they crash it or break it so much because you dont have much in it. The sites for the gear you still need is hard to say without knowing what look you're going for. I like the civil war era and found https://www.ccsutlery.com/store/ccsutlery.html . their value line is a great price.  For a hat i'd recommend https://www.facebook.com/maverickshats/ great guy to work with and you're not going to find a custom shaped hat for less anywhere. If you do let me know.  For boots I lucked out and another shooter had a pair that they couldnt wear anymore but If I were to buy new ones I think i'd look at some ariat brand boots. they have a wide variety that will fit the bill, are sold in many places, and pretty comfortable. I've worn their steel toes for work a long time.  As for leather you're going to find everyone has what they feel is the best go to guy. I've never really heard any downsides for any of the bigger names. They all do the same thing it's just a matter of price and turnaround time. I still havent invested in a quality rig yet but just started talking to a local guy about getting one made. I want certain things about it a very specific way so for me I want someone that I can talk to face to face and meet up during the process to ensure it's going to end up exactly how I want. I dont want to send it back for corrections or deal with something that's not exactly how I want it.  hope something in here is of use to you, best of luck

Been said many times ,fellow shooters are the best sources for used equipment.Lots of outgrown stuff(in both size and skills and abilities,)to be found at local clubs'matches.Just letting it be known that you're in need of something will get lots of offers of help and used equipment.

Perusing The Wire Classifieds is also a great way to find stuff.

Local pawn shops and gun and sporting goods stores usually  have a large selection  of used leather that can be adapted to our game at affordable prices.

Just be patient,things usually have a way of showing up as you need them.

Welcome, and HAVE FUN!!!

36 minutes ago, bgavin said:

As I read the rule book (many times) the working implied I am limited entirely to B-Western dress.

More clarification and examples are needed for ammo belts, leather, Buscadero holstering, etc.

You are NOT limited to B Western dress. You can dress however you want and shoot in any of the age based categories. For instance I usually dress with enough things to qualify as Classic Cowboy but since I'm shooting .38's I shoot in Senior Duelist. ;)

I'm sure Allie Mo will explain things to you very clearly!:)

3 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

SARCASM

Please show me in the rules were that mustache is legal in B-Western?

I don’t shoot B-Western. (reply to sarcasm, phone won’t let me use a emoji)

Randy

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
7 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I don’t shoot B-Western. (reply to sarcasm, phone won’t let me use a emoji)

Randy

I think only Duelists should be allowed to have a mustache. :D :FlagAm:

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

As I read the rule book (many times) the working implied I am limited entirely to B-Western dress.

You couldn't ask for a better 'tour-guide' than AM.

Hope you made a list of questions you want to ask.

Bet you end up shooting a stage........

OLG

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
16 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

That’s all I Shoot 

Randy

17 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

That’s all I Shoot 

Randy

I  started out a Duelist 30 yrs ago and still shoot it  I watched many of your videos  and congrats on your recent win.:FlagAm:

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

You'll see it all at the match and Miss Alli will get it all 'splained.  The B-Western bit is only about that one costume category.  Read those first pages where it says: "Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-Western movie, or Western television series."

Many folks sort of fall into the "Bonanza", "Have Gun Will Travel" and "Gunsmoke" vein of clothing, sort of semi-modern.  Others go all out "Cowboy", like they just walked out of a cattle drive.  Some are townies, like Sheriff Behan in Tombstone.  You'll see it all.  Leather runs the gamut from inexpensive, (but DO NOT buy floppy holsters)... to the utilitarian, to the very competitive, to the Roy Rogers type.  It's totally up to you.  Again, you'll see lots of samples at the match and there are some great leather makers in CA!   

3 hours ago, bgavin said:

Yikes! I shot with The Outlaws yesterday. None of the Cowboys will be at DDCT today.

You could shoot an age-based category without most clothing requirements!

Yeah... we got there (Sunday) at 9am, waited until 10am.
I figured I pulled a cranial-rectal inversion with the dates..
I have schedule (yet another) visit to my neuro-proctologist for more therapy..

My profound apologies for getting the date wrong.

We did stop at Handleys in Folsom, and I picked up a nice felt Steston that should be legal no matter what.
With a tape measure, I should wear a 7 1/2 hat size.
As it turns out, that is far too big... 7 1/4 is a bit tight, and 7 3/8 was just right.

I also noticed in Stetsons, that 7 3/8 varies significantly in fit from correct to too-large.
There is no price advantage to online Stetson purchases, so I bought the one that m Immediate Manager approved for looks and fit.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

Yeah... we got there (Sunday) at 9am, waited until 10am.
I figured I pulled a cranial-rectal inversion with the dates..
I have schedule (yet another) visit to my neuro-proctologist for more therapy..

My profound apologies for getting the date wrong.

We did stop at Handleys in Folsom, and I picked up a nice felt Steston that should be legal no matter what.
With a tape measure, I should wear a 7 1/2 hat size.
As it turns out, that is far too big... 7 1/4 is a bit tight, and 7 3/8 was just right.

I also noticed in Stetsons, that 7 3/8 varies significantly in fit from correct to too-large.
There is no price advantage to online Stetson purchases, so I bought the one that m Immediate Manager approved for looks and fit.

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for posting. I worried about you folks.

I hope to see you next month!

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

5 hours ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

I  started out a Duelist 30 yrs ago and still shoot it  I watched many of your videos  and congrats on your recent win.:FlagAm:

Thanks Duelist is Coolest. I started in 2005 as a 49’r, switched to B-Western when they made it a Category then switched back to Duelist in 2011. Used to shoot 2-handed in the winter, Duelist in the summer. A few years ago I were to Duelist all the time. 

Randy

I'm working on the matrix I mentioned earlier. Will share after it's been reviewed locally by those smarter than I. 

I've been shooting Duelist in one form or another since I started 20 yrs ago. I started off as Duelist then Classic Cowboy for a while, FCD for a while and now I'm back to regular Duelist (well, Senior Duelist) I'm old now!:P

DUELIST IS COOLIST!!

1 hour ago, Ripsaw said:

I'm working on the matrix I mentioned earlier. Will share after it's been reviewed locally by those smarter than I. 

I applaud you for trying to improve our beloved sport.

Just know that a failure of support on the Wire does not mean your idea is unworthy of consideration.

1 hour ago, Ripsaw said:

If you are so inclined, I can do photo work for you.
Combine your matrix and photos of examples, put it into a PDF.

It took me a long time to dig out a decent photo of a Buscadero style holster.
I still do not have a clear understanding of cartridge belts and shotgun belts, and if they are separate belts, or combined.

3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for posting. I worried about you folks.

I hope to see you next month!

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

Thanks!
My apologies for the cranial-rectal inversion.

57 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I applaud you for trying to improve our beloved sport.

Just know that a failure of support on the Wire does not mean your idea is unworthy of consideration.

For me, (and probably not everybody else and possibly nobody else) the handbook would be easier to understand if the descriptions of legal firearms were up front, followed by the descriptions of the categories, which repeatedly reference firearms requirements.   Rather than the other way around.  However, I recognize the challenges either way. 

When I have something I'm happy with, I'll contact you and email you a copy for your review.   

Seems a lot of new folks get confused. When I first started, I thought you needed to have traditional cowboy boots with smooth sole shoes for every category.  Now, looking back, I wonder how I ever got that idea. So I can see how some of the old timers here are incredulous that someone could misunderstand the rules.  But the fact that so many new folks experience such confusion is a clue that there is room for improvement. 

Everybody process information differently---some like pictures, others prefer tables, others are happy with a detailed narrative. To effectively reach a higher percentage of the population, it's best to provide the data in multiple ways so there is something that "clicks" for each type of person. Even if that seems redundant in a publication, it's the only way to effectively reach everyone, or almost everyone. 

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

If you are so inclined, I can do photo work for you.
Combine your matrix and photos of examples, put it into a PDF.

It took me a long time to dig out a decent photo of a Buscadero style holster.
I still do not have a clear understanding of cartridge belts and shotgun belts, and if they are separate belts, or combined.

Yeah.  That's one of those questions that ends up with an answer of "yes".  The belt I wear to hold my holsters does not have any loops for cartridges.  I wear a 2nd belt for both shotshells and cartridges.  I expect that most of the questions you have will be easily answered by showing up on Saturday for the California Rangers match.  Hope to see you there! 

Doc

And WHATEVER you do, do NOT rely on answers provided on the SASS Wire!  For frankly, I'm a little dismayed at some of the answers you've been given.  The .38/.357 is perfectly legal in EVERY category, except Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl!  Even Frontiersman & Frontier Cartridge!  In those two categories, it's the PROPELLANT, not the cartridge that matters.  I say that because, although Frontiersman requires the use of percussion revolvers, you're still going to be using a cartridge rifle in that category.

Where are you located, Shifty Bob?  What's the barrel length on your Rugers?  I may have some holsters to get you started with.

2 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Where are you located, Shifty Bob?  What's the barrel length on your Rugers?  I may have some holsters to get you started with.

Sounds like California if he is going to Cowboy Town.

Shifty Bob

Welcome to the best game and folks goin.  As others have stated, get out to a match and it will start to come together. Just have FUN and worry about the small stuff later. Be safe is number 1.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

On 5/5/2019 at 7:14 AM, Shifty Bob said:

I have a pair of Ruger Vaquero's and a Uberti 1873 both in 38/357. I have a 12 gauge Stoeger Coach. No holsters,  shirt, hat or boots yet. Any particular sites recommended to find some simple clothing?

I'm in a similar situation, but with an 1894CB and have not yet acquired the Stoeger.
My pair of SASS Vaqueros is still tied in California's 30 day waiting periods for hand guns and 10 day waiting periods for all guns.

I did manage to pick up a very nice Stetson that will go with any class or clothing  ;)
I do have a nice Tombstone Leather belt and single holster that I used for years while playing piano in a Gold Rush Days saloon.
However, the holster is not the Buscadero style, so it carries the revolver above the belt line.

1 minute ago, bgavin said:

I'm in a similar situation, but with an 1894CB and have not yet acquired the Stoeger.
My pair of SASS Vaqueros is still tied in California's 30 day waiting periods for hand guns and 10 day waiting periods for all guns.

I did manage to pick up a very nice Stetson that will go with any class or clothing  ;)
I do have a nice Tombstone Leather belt and single holster that I used for years while playing piano in a Gold Rush Days saloon.
However, the holster is not the Buscadero style, so it carries the revolver above the belt line.

Holsters are not required to be buscadero for everything.  That may only be for B Western (okay, go ahead, jump all over me!) 

On 5/5/2019 at 9:14 AM, Shifty Bob said:

Hamilton Dry Goods has as cheap a price as I've seen on authentic clothing.

https://www.hamiltondrygoods.com/

Randy

1 hour ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Holsters are not required to be buscadero for everything.  That may only be for B Western (okay, go ahead, jump all over me!) 

Actually B-Western is not required to be Buscadro, and B-Western and Classic Cowboy are the only categories with specific holster requirements. 

Randy

57 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Actually B-Western is not required to be Buscadro, and B-Western and Classic Cowboy are the only categories with specific holster requirements. 

Randy

Now I'm confused.

Lifted from the v23.2 handbook:

B-Western Leather Rules:
- Buscadero holster rigs or drop holster rigs are required. All revolvers must be carried below the top of the gun belt

3 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Now I'm confused.

Lifted from the v23.2 handbook:

B-Western Leather Rules:
- Buscadero holster rigs or drop holster rigs are required. All revolvers must be carried below the top of the gun belt

655237118_PapaDaveCartandSaddlebags.png.6231c7c80adf0669e7e723471e53d1b6.png1072620781_IMG_11921.thumb.JPG.89c570fd10d32854fe723e403a7659fb.JPG

This rig isn't a Buscadero and is B-Western legal and legal in every other SASS Category except Classic Cowboy.

Thanks

Randy

Not there, yet.
Apparently Buscadero is more than the top of the revolver being below the belt line.
The image above must be the "drop holster" style.

If you want to dress a little more cowboy than the basic requirements mentioned above,then Wild West mercantile and River Junction are good sources of clothing and other accoutrements.

Links here: https://www.riverjunction.com and https://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=home&type=store

And as Randy posted earlier: Hamilton Dry Goods.

Archived