SASS Wire Forum

basic rules assistance

Shifty Bob

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course NOT.

38 caliber ammo is permitted for every centerfire revolver category EXCEPT Classic Cowboy and .C...CowGirl.

Why don't you show us what you read that made you think that......?

Good luck, GJ

I read in the rule book

Section 2 has 2 styles, duelist and gunfighter

Further on costumes has Classic, B-western and Frontier

I read classic is larger cartridges and Frontier is black powder.

So I figured smokless 38 left out Frontier and classic

Please - Cut and paste exactly what you found that mislead you.   You're chasing this goose around a bush.

Sorry to make this a hard homework exercise, but if the rules are confusing you, there might be an update needed and the Rules Committee would need to work on the section and wording that was "fuzzy".

Good luck, GJ

27 minutes ago, Shifty Bob said:

I have been reading the rules (I,'m new). Do I read correctly that if shooting 38/357 only B Western costume is permitted?

12 minutes ago, Shifty Bob said:

I read in the rule book

Section 2 has 2 styles, duelist and gunfighter

Further on costumes has Classic, B-western and Frontier

I read classic is larger cartridges and Frontier is black powder.

So I figured smokless 38 left out Frontier and classic

True that Classic and B-Western are costume categories but not Frontiersman! 

You also said that 38/357 only B Western costume is permitted...:blink: that doesn't even make any sense!

I suggest you read the rules very carefully again and you'll find that .38/.357 smokeless is allowed in ANY category except Classic, and Frontiersman, (which is cap and ball)

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You also said that 38/357 only B Western costume is permitted...:blink: that doesn't even make any sense!

I suggest you read the rules very carefully again and you'll find that .38/.357 smokeless is allowed in ANY category except Classic, and Frontiersman, (which is cap and ball)

You are reading the section pertaining the two costume categories.  That's just two of the million categories available.  Skip that for now.

.38/357 is only restricted from Classic Cowboy, and Frontiersman, (which requires percussion revolvers).  Keep on reading.  You'll get there.

Welcome to the party!

I agree with Phantom -- The rules can be a bit overwhelming when yer starting out.

--Dawg

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Don't get discouraged. The rules at first are a bit trying. 

Phantom

Don't get discouraged, but the rules are a bit trying later on, too.

:unsure:

Well I guess I'm handicapped.

I read the whole document again (ver 23.2 handbook) and can't see anything except what I wrote above.

Anyone have a page number where it indicates what I need to wear shooting duelist smokless 38/357?

Throw on some jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and some kind of boots and go to a match. That's all you need; talk to some folks in person and ask lots of questions. 

Read the part about what calibers are SASS-legal under firearm covenants, pg 38 and pg 40

There are two "heavily regulated" costume categories, where specific clothes and gear are required.  Classic Cowboy and B Western.

All the other categories are "minimum cowboy" dress.  You can wear a long sleeve shirt, long pants (jeans OK, cargo pants not), and "western footwear" which is a broad set of items (cowboy boots, packers, moccasins, townie shoes, work boots, etc, but not tennis shoes, combat boots, and lugged-sole hiking/walking/climbing boots) in any other category.    You can even go barefoot (but not recommended for tender foots).  You don't even need a hat, but if you do wear one, make it western-ish.  A $20 straw hat makes sense for the summer.

So your duelist category allows the "minimal cowboy" outfit laid out just above.   Your chosen duelist category allows any legal SASS caliber of cartridge ammunition, and target or light game shotgun ammunition from 10 gauge down to 20 gauge. shooting lead bullets and lead shot size 4 or smaller.   And legal SASS legal firearms.  If you are older than 59, you can be a Senior Duelist and not have to compete against 20 somethings.

All of these things are much more evident at a local cowboy match.  Go watch, go participate, go ask tons of questions, take eye and ear protection and folks will hand you firearms to try out.

Good luck, GJ

The Duelist shooting category does require fixed sight revolvers. I can shoot my Blackhawks duelist style in my age based Elder Statesman category, but I can’t shoot them as an Elder Statesman Duelist. The various combinations of age, shooting, and clothing categories and what is legal in each combination take a bit of head scratching to figure out.

9 hours ago, Shifty Bob said:

I read the whole document again (ver 23.2 handbook) and can't see anything except what I wrote above.

Anyone have a page number where it indicates what I need to wear shooting duelist smokless 38/357?

9 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Throw on some jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and some kind of boots and go to a match. That's all you need; talk to some folks in person and ask lots of questions. 

What Tyrel said! No dress requirements for duelist! If you're 60 and over Senior Duelist, over 65 Silver Senior Duelist. 

12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Don't get discouraged. The rules at first are a bit trying. 

Phantom

At first? :)

10 hours ago, Shifty Bob said:

Shifty Bob, welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!  I shoot Duelist (Silver Senior Duelist now because I’m old) but I dress B-Western because that’s what I like. I also shoot 38’s. It’s not as overwhelming as it seems. Look at some pictures from different SASS matches and anything anyone is wearing to shoot in should be good for Duelist shooting 38’s. 

I’ll try to add some links when I can get on a computer instead of this phone. 

Welcome again

Randy

21 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Shifty Bob, welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!  I shoot Duelist (Silver Senior Duelist now because I’m old) but I dress B-Western because that’s what I like. I also shoot 38’s. It’s not as overwhelming as it seems. Look at some pictures from different SASS matches and anything anyone is wearing to shoot in should be good for Duelist shooting 38’s. 

I’ll try to add some links when I can get on a computer instead of this phone. 

Welcome again

Randy

http://www.wartraceregulators.com/

http://wartracecowboys.blogspot.com/2014/10/2014-tennessee-state-championship.html

There are links to photos in the Blog post.

Thanks

Randy

2013CominAtCha066_zps4f17b356.JPG

IMG_0131_zpsu9p5rlsz.JPG

Papa Dave Cart and Saddle bags.png

18 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You see, even the most experienced shooters get the rules wrong. Smokeless is not allowed in any of the frontier cartridge categories. 

19 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Rye what caliber rifle can you use in Frontiersman?

kR

6 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Rye what caliber rifle can you use in Frontiersman?

kR

Frontiersman Rules: - Any main match percussion revolver with fixed sights. - Revolvers must be shot Duelist or Double Duelist style. See Duelist description for required shooting technique. - Must use blackpowder in all loads (rifle, revolver, and shotgun). - Must use a side-by-side, single shot, or lever action shotgun in the main match stages. - Any SASS legal pistol caliber rifle is acceptable.

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

You see, even the most experienced shooters get the rules wrong. Smokeless is not allowed in any of the frontier cartridge categories. 

Whoops, you are correct sir!:blush: I knew that I just forgot to list it! I used to shoot FCD, for about 8 years!!~

Would be nice to have a matrix in the handbook that listed the categories down the left side, and across it would list ages,  costume requirements, calibers, firearms allowed, etc.  

When I first started a few years ago, I found the handbook a bit confusing. 

7 minutes ago, Ripsaw said:

Would be nice to have a matrix in the handbook that listed the categories down the left side, and across it would list ages,  costume requirements, calibers, firearms allowed, etc.  

Make one and submit it to the ROC, they just might put it in there.

23 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

SARCASM

Please show me in the rules were that mustache is legal in B-Western?

10 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

That would be the ticket.

10 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

It's not that difficult.

Minimum dress requirements apply to all categories except two. But the firearms approved may benefit.

PHANTOM

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

I have been shooting this game  30 yrs and would like to see the rule book simplified. :FlagAm:

On 5/3/2019 at 6:51 PM, Shifty Bob said:

I have been reading the rules (I,'m new). Do I read correctly that if shooting 38/357 only B Western costume is permitted?

Revolver Calibers - Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber. - Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44- 40, and .45 Colt  SHB Ver 23.2 pg 38 

Rifle Calibers - Must be centerfire of at least .32 caliber and not larger than .45 caliber. - Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .38-40, .44-40, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. The only allowed exceptions are the .25-20 and .56-50. No rifle calibers such as .30-30 or .38-55 are allowed. - Buckaroo/Buckarette Category competitors choosing to utilize .22 caliber firearms must use standard velocity .22 caliber rim-fire ammunition only.   SHB Ver 23.2 pg 40

Since you're asking about the duelist category:

Any main match, fixed sight model revolver may be used.

o Any SASS legal main match shotgun and legal main match rifle may be used.

o Any SASS legal ammunition may be used  SHB Ver 23.2 pg 6

and since you want to shoot in other than the two specific Costume Categories:

Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-Western movie, or Western television series.  SHB Vers 23.2 pg 2

Think about TV shows like Bonanza... some kind of boot, (bare feet are acceptable), long pants, long sleeve shirt, (rolled up sleeves are acceptable), cowboy hat, kepi, slouch hat, palm leaf straw hat, (or no hat at all is acceptable).

Welcome!!  Come on out to a match, hang out, ask questions.   You'll find folks to be helpful and informative.  

I have a pair of Ruger Vaquero's and a Uberti 1873 both in 38/357. I have a 12 guage Stoger Coach. No holsters,  shirt, hat or boots yet. Any particular sites recommended to find some simple clothing?

Walmart, Goodwill, etc.

Seriously; all you need is pants/jeans, long sleeves shirt, boots. GO to a match. Let the match director know and they'll have some loaner holsters ready or let you stage revolvers.

8 minutes ago, Shifty Bob said:

I have a pair of Ruger Vaquero's and a Uberti 1873 both in 38/357. I have a 12 guage Stoger Coach. No holsters,  shirt, hat or boots yet. Any particular sites recommended to find some simple clothing?

Archived