SASS Wire Forum

WTC shots down range...

Fordyce Beals

I bought my self a SDQ by putting down (staged on table) both cocked pistols to insert my ear protection after the first two gunfighter shots and re cocking.  I didn't think of anything but not shooting more shots with no ear protection.

SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY Shooter’s Handbook Page 23

STAGE DISQUALIFICATION PENALTY (SDQ)

A cocked revolver leaving the shooters hand

Reflecting on what I should do if it ever happens again are these responses a no call?

1.  Ask T.O. if I can de cock each pistol 6 times hammers down on spent chambers and stage revolvers while reinserting ear protection, pick up revolvers and continue. This will take a lot of time.

2.  Place one cocked revolver down on table but before removing grip hand contact revolver with other hand that has a revolver in hand, reinsert ear protection, grab revolver with free hand remove hand contacting staged revolver and continue.  this will take a lot less time.

3.  Stop shooting and take time with 22 misses.

I was amazed at how loud revolvers are with no ear protection.

Fordyce

Don't cock them when you realize you don't have your ear plugs is about all you can do.

#2 won't work because it is leaving your hand even though you are switching hands.

#3 would work but better to bite the bullet and shoot the guns that are cocked and then put ear plugs in.

Yell out “eyes and ears” after the stage description is read. it will remind you and everyone else to be prepared..

Something tells me that you won't need to worry about it happening again any time soon. I'm sure that if you don't check, your friends on your posse will reminding you^_^

12 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well that would be annoying.

How is it annoying to remind posse members to be sure to have eyes (safety glasses on) and ears ( ear plugs in) on the first stage of the day? It works and helps as a reminder. Yelling out doesn't mean to yell at one's top volume but loud enough for all to hear. Really!?

Just now, Caboose said:

How is it annoying to remind posse members to be sure to have eyes (safety glasses on) and ears ( ear plugs in) on the first stage of the day? It works and helps as a reminder. Yelling out doesn't mean to yell at one's top volume but loud enough for all to hear. Really!?

Where did you say it was for the first stage of the day?

5 hours ago, Fordyce Beals said:

I bought my self a SDQ by putting down (staged on table) both cocked pistols to insert my ear protection after the first two gunfighter shots and re cocking.  I didn't think of anything but not shooting more shots with no ear protection.

SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY Shooter’s Handbook Page 23

STAGE DISQUALIFICATION PENALTY (SDQ)

A cocked revolver leaving the shooters hand

Reflecting on what I should do if it ever happens again are these responses a no call?

1.  Ask T.O. if I can de cock each pistol 6 times hammers down on spent chambers and stage revolvers while reinserting ear protection, pick up revolvers and continue. This will take a lot of time.

2.  Place one cocked revolver down on table but before removing grip hand contact revolver with other hand that has a revolver in hand, reinsert ear protection, grab revolver with free hand remove hand contacting staged revolver and continue.  this will take a lot less time.

3.  Stop shooting and take time with 22 misses.

Fordyce

DORK :excl:  :lol:

OLG

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

DORK :excl:  :lol:

OLG

Not as loud as firing in combat  :FlagAm:

9 minutes ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

Have 3 sons who are multi-tour combat vets.

They all said that after the first few incoming rnds. They really didn't 'hear' them. More like the saw the impact.

OLG

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

They all said that after the first few incoming rnds. The really didn't 'hear' them. More like the saw the impact.

OLG

After two tours on a PBR I am almost stone deaf 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

They all said that after the first few incoming rnds. They really didn't 'hear' them. More like the saw the impact.

OLG

Having served my own share of multiple combat tours, you may not hear the shots at the moment, but it sure takes awhile for the ringing to die down after it’s over. 

I'll get fried for this but,,, at a local match as the TO I would tell you to start over if I see that issue,,, or if a shooter told me,, I'd tell them to decock , make safe and if they had the ammo reload and restart,, unfortunately that isn't an option,,,  but I'd still do it locally..  blaze away, I don't care

10 hours ago, Fordyce Beals said:

I continually ponder why, when I was young, I shot thousands of rounds of trap, probably that many more rounds with target pistols, hunting guns, and some big caliber rifles like. 416 Rigby or  .375 H&H mag.  I never wore any ear protection, in fact, I never even thought about it until about 20 years ago.  I never experienced displeasure. 

But now, without my ears in, the report of even a small caliber revolver or shotgun seems numbing and unbearable.   Is that a natural feature of the aging process, or is ammunition much, much louder now.  (I'm asking seriously). 

9 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

I'll get fried for this but,,, at a local match as the TO I would tell you to start over if I see that issue,,, or if a shooter told me,, I'd tell them to decock , make safe and if they had the ammo reload and restart,, unfortunately that isn't an option,,,  but I'd still do it locally..  blaze away, I don't care

Yes and no.  Local match, what's the harm in ignoring the rules just a little, we're here to have fun, right.  State match and as TO I failed to notice the Shooter came to the line with no shotgun shells.  When the Shooter tried to load their shotgun, looked down at their empty loops, by local match habit I handed them the shells I was carrying.  Bad on me.  

50 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Yes and no.  Local match, what's the harm in ignoring the rules just a little, we're here to have fun, right.  State match and as TO I failed to notice the Shooter came to the line with no shotgun shells.  When the Shooter tried to load their shotgun, looked down at their empty loops, by local match habit I handed them the shells I was carrying.  Bad on me.  

Right on, this is supposed to be a fun game and if we forget that we will fold . :FlagAm:

54 minutes ago, C.N. Double said:

You can earn two SDQs on ONE stage?:huh:

Yes... but generally for TWO separate & distinct actions... I would call this as ONE incident.    RO Rule #4.

23 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

SASS does not require that monthly matches be ‘no alibi’ some clubs allow this. 

On 5/3/2019 at 7:56 PM, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

Or nearly as loud as a 44 mag pistol in the early morning deer stand...…..lol. I have done it and just finished the stage. You could have laid them down (or holstered them) with the hammers on a spent cartridge addressed the ear plugs and then picked them up and continued on. 

Archived