SASS Wire Forum

Most "correct" functioning 1873 Clone made now ?

oldcars

Hello, I'm new here, but not to guns.  I have a few Vaqueros, Colts, and a USFA and like them all, but I am wanting to order a new Single action in .44 special with a 4 3/4" barrel.  I would like a steel backstrap, a round barrel, and blue/ case colored finish with one piece wood grips, preferably with no medallions.  It seems that many manufactures / wholesalers are now selling SAA's with added "safety" features built in to Hammers, base pins, etc.  Does anyone now in 2019 still sell a reasonably priced Italian Clone that is just plain old Colt-like, not "improved"   I searched on line, but most of the info I have found was old, and many of the changes seem to be recent?  Taylors ? Cimmaron ? what model and brand am I looking for ?...........or is it a unicorn 

25 minutes ago, oldcars said:

Hello, I'm new here, but not to guns.  I have a few Vaqueros, Colts, and a USFA and like them all, but I am wanting to order a new Single action in .44 special with a 4 3/4" barrel.  I would like a steel backstrap, a round barrel, and blue/ case colored finish with one piece wood grips, preferably with no medallions.  It seems that many manufactures / wholesalers are now selling SAA's with added "safety" features built in to Hammers, base pins, etc.  Does anyone now in 2019 still sell a reasonably priced Italian Clone that is just plain old Colt-like, not "improved"   I searched on line, but most of the info I have found was old, and many of the changes seem to be recent?  Taylors ? Cimmaron ? what model and brand am I looking for ?...........or is it a unicorn 

Just shoot the Vaqueros or Colts. Many people do.

PS Welcome!

Oldcars, in a new reproduction SAA to fit your parameters, your current choice is the Cimarron MP677.   It is a black powder frame.  Those Old Model Cimarrons are, at least for now, still using the authentic hammer.  

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/model-p-4-3-4-44-special-4-3-4-in.html

You could also buy a Pietta 44-40, then buy a .357 cylinder and have it bored to .44 Spcl and you will have a convertible.  But if you spent that much, you'd be close to a 3rd Gen Colt.  They run less expensive than the .45's.  See them for sale fairly often.  Mine are not for sale.

You're welcome. :)

54 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

The one's I saw at Shot Show weren't impressive at all...

Yeah? Care to elaborate? You can pm me if you prefer. I’m very interested in hearing the opinion of a pro. They’re still rare enough that I’ve only seen two so far. Thanks

I love real Colts and USFA's, and might check out those Standards once they have been on the market awhile.  I really like Ruger single actions and have quite a few, but for this gun, I just want a decent Colt-feeling gun with the 4 clicks and smooth wood one piece grips, and I don't want to spend a bunch because I want to be able to do stuff I wont do with my nicer guns, like let it rattle around and get dusty / worn on the pickup seat or on the fourwheeler. Just a Working type gun that still feels right.  I'm not 100% stuck on 44 special, but I would prefer it.  I will look into the Cimmaron and EMF.  

1 hour ago, oldcars said:

I love real Colts and USFA's, and might check out those Standards once they have been on the market awhile.  I really like Ruger single actions and have quite a few, but for this gun, I just want a decent Colt-feeling gun with the 4 clicks and smooth wood one piece grips, and I don't want to spend a bunch because I want to be able to do stuff I wont do with my nicer guns, like let it rattle around and get dusty / worn on the pickup seat or on the fourwheeler. Just a Working type gun that still feels right.  I'm not 100% stuck on 44 special, but I would prefer it.  I will look into the Cimmaron and EMF.  

Cimarron has them in 44 special, and from what I’ve heard from very reputable source, they are outstanding. Very accurate. https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/revolvers/single-actions/model-p-sa/model-p-2.html?caliber=182

these one’s will have the three click hammer. But you can swap that out with an old model hammer and trigger. Costs about $100 total and usually drops right in. It still won’t feel like a colt, but it’ll be really close. Might even have a better action and be a better shooter. 

The imported reproduction with most Colt features is the Pietta.  (Just watch out because they do make a transfer bar model.)  The Great Western has 4 click action, replaceable firing pin bushing,  replaceable cam on hammer like the Colt.  But they have the stupid two-notch safey base pin.  That's just a minor annoyance.   Just trim it back or replace with a Colt base pin. 

But... the big BUT is, they come in countless configurations of barrel length,  grip frames, materials,  finishes,  special models, levels of engraving, on and on AS LONG AS IT'S A 357 OR 45 COLT.   44WCF?   Yeah,  this ONE configuration but it's out of stock. What about 32-20WCF,  9 mm, 40S&W, 38WCF,  44 Special, 45ACP?   No, but we have 357 and 45Colt. 

Have a pair of pietta frontiers. They are four click, have smooth one piece grips and when purchased last feb were right at $1000. The action is smooth and light. Very impressive pistols.

10 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Yeah? Care to elaborate? You can pm me if you prefer. I’m very interested in hearing the opinion of a pro. They’re still rare enough that I’ve only seen two so far. Thanks

Can really elaborate with specifics. 

I went to their booth. Picked up and looked over their guns. Cosmetics were just okay...thought Italian clones were just as good if not better. Moved on.

Unless they put out their rejects, I would not buy them nor sell them.

Phantom (who still loves Colts and might be biased)

10 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

From a Pro

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

From a Pro...I guess he's a "Pro" because he's paid to do what he does...from...???

I buy and sell guns for a living. I shoot quite a bit...are you implying that my observed information is somehow faulty???

Please, do tell.

Phantom

My Pietta Great Westerns in .44-40 were real smooth and authentic looking, and had that nice 4 click action.  Not sure why I sold them.  

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Can really elaborate with specifics. 

I went to their booth. Picked up and looked over their guns. Cosmetics were just okay...thought Italian clones were just as good if not better. Moved on.

Unless they put out their rejects, I would not buy them nor sell them.

Phantom (who still loves Colts and might be biased)

Thanks for this. I am with you on Colts, in the same church and pew. I just can't imagine shelling out $2000 for a non-colt, even if it's better. I guess that makes me a fan boy, but that's fine too.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

I love Hickock45. He makes great and entertaining videos. I don't trust his reviews much, however. He is, and I certainly can't blame him for this as I would be the same, much like a kid in a candy store. I don't think I have ever heard him bad mouth any gun. He just enjoys shooting all of them so much. Now he isn't always glowing on every gun, but probably not going to get as much of the bad as you will the good with him. Did I mention that I want his job?

I also don't trust the reviews out there from the "Pros", especially regarding Standard. I know a gun reviewer that had his review yanked by Standard because it was less than stellar.

Where did the "burled elm" grips come from?? I could never love that ... I bought a 70 monte carlo new and drove over 100k miles the first year I owned it ... I have exceeded my lifetime exposure limit for burled elm ... Hopefully they have other choices. :rolleyes: 

Edit: OK ... they call it "special walnut" ... just looks like burled elm to me ...

I see on the STD Firearm site they say the frame is larger than a Colt frame.

From their FAQ page ... http://www.stdgun.com/single-action-revolver-faq/

"20. Are the frames built at Colt Specs for size or the bigger Uberti frame size? They are slightly larger so they can accept a cylinder with a larger wall thickness."

No mention of "parts" on their web page ... 

20 hours ago, oldcars said:

Why .44 special? You’re severely limiting yourself with that caliber. Just wondering, no wrong answer here!

5 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

"20. Are the frames built at Colt Specs for size or the bigger Uberti frame size? They are slightly larger so they can accept a cylinder with a larger wall thickness."

Another interesting video comparing SAAs. SAA comparison

Part 2  SAA comparison Pt2

The sticking point is .44 special.  Not many of them around anymore.

That link that Abiline provided is the only new .44 I've seen.  The black powder frame gun is exactly what you're looking for!

Others... .45, 357, 44-40, but not much else

For .44 spec and other calibers  pretty much the used market, is the only place.  Jump on they Cimarron while it's available.

1 hour ago, McCandless said:

The sticking point is .44 special.  Not many of them around anymore.

That link that Abiline provided is the only new .44 I've seen.  The black powder frame gun is exactly what you're looking for!

Others... .45, 357, 44-40, but not much else

For .44 spec and other calibers  pretty much the used market, is the only place.  Jump on they Cimarron while it's available.

I don’t understand what the issue is here. Uberti is still making 44 special. You don’t have to get used. You can order them from cimarron, or have a dealer do or, Dixie Gunworks has them in stock, Taylor’s has them too. Why do people think they aren’t available in 44 special? Pietta is a different story. 

8 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I don’t understand what the issue is here. Uberti is still making 44 special. You don’t have to get used. You can order them from cimarron, or have a dealer do or, Dixie Gunworks has them in stock, Taylor’s has them too. Why do people think they aren’t available in 44 special? Pietta is a different story. 

But do the new Uberti .44 SPL's have the retractable firing pin? OP doesn't want that.

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

But do the new Uberti .44 SPL's have the retractable firing pin? OP doesn't want that.

As of right now, the cross pin frames have it. The bp frames don’t. As I said in my earlier post above, the fix is pretty simple and costs about $100 in replacement parts. That’s not taking into consideration the resale value of the retractable firing pin and trigger, if there is such a market. I’m sure someone out there wants one. 

As I mentioned, the Cmarron BP frame MP677 fits the bill for .44 Spcl.  However, I got a look at the Cimarron inventory and there are no MP677 in stock so you would probably have to order it.  Then I thought hmm, check Dixie, sometimes they have odd stuff.  Yep, they have CR0742, Old Model 44 Spcl:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8791/category_id/319/product_name/CR0742+UBERTI+1873+CATTLEMAN+OLD+MODEL+44SPC

Now, this Dixie gun may very well have the old hammer-block safety hammer instead of the Model P hammer, just have to call and ask.

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

As of right now, the cross pin frames have it. The bp frames don’t. As I said in my earlier post above, the fix is pretty simple and costs about $100 in replacement parts. That’s not taking into consideration the resale value of the retractable firing pin and trigger, if there is such a market. I’m sure someone out there wants one. 

You can order it from Cimarron, maybe you'll get it.  Not in stock.  Try Dixie, see if they still have any.  Bud's is out of stock....

Where are you finding the replacement hammers?  Folks have come on here saying everyone is sold out with no idea if they will ever get restocked.  VTI, Taylor's, Cimarron, none of them have 'em.

Post the link so'se I can point them there, please?

27 minutes ago, McCandless said:

You can order it from Cimarron, maybe you'll get it.  Not in stock.  Try Dixie, see if they still have any.  Bud's is out of stock....

Where are you finding the replacement hammers?  Folks have come on here saying everyone is sold out with no idea if they will ever get restocked.  VTI, Taylor's, Cimarron, none of them have 'em.

Post the link so'se I can point them there, please?

I bought one ftkn cimarron about 4 months ago and I had one on backorder from vti that I just got last month. Yes they are getting harder to come by, but place an order with all three of the folks you listed and you’ll get one or more when they come in stock. 

I'm not 100% stuck on 44 special, I like 45 Colt a bunch too !  Just thought it would be interesting to ad another Special to the mix, but if .45 colts are way easier to get a hold of, so be it.  My problem is that when I order one from a wholesaler through my friends FFL, I cant exactly specify dates of manufacture or ask them to look at hammers , I just have to order the model and hope it's what I want.

If you aren't stuck on 44 special, get a great western II in 45c. It's the most accurate copy, and they all still click 4 times. The only annoying thing they have is the safety base pin, but that's easily replaced or remedied in about 5 minutes on a belt sander.

If you are okay with .45 Colt, then all of the Cimarron (Frontier) and EMF (GWII) Piettas are your Huckleberry, as well as the Old Model Ubert from Cimarron.

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

If you are okay with .45 Colt, then all of the Cimarron (Frontier) and EMF (GWII) Piettas are your Huckleberry, as well as the Old Model Ubert from Cimarron.

What about Taylor's:o

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

What about Taylor's:o

As far as I know, Taylor's doesn't carry Pietta and all their Ubertis have the new hammer.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

As far as I know, Taylor's doesn't carry Pietta and all their Ubertis have the new hammer.

They do carry pietta. It’s a little more difficult to discern from Taylor’s than cimarron, but they’ve got them. I have a really nice cattle brand pietta from Taylor’s. It’s even better than the emf great westerns I have

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

They do carry pietta. It’s a little more difficult to discern from Taylor’s than cimarron, but they’ve got them. I have a really nice cattle brand pietta from Taylor’s. It’s even better than the emf great westerns I have

That's nice.  How about a blue/CC model like the OP is looking for?

Archived