SASS Wire Forum

Machine Shop Mishap

Subdeacon Joe

Man! That piece  that went through the wall(s) must have been going maybe 1000 FPS. Lucky no one was hurt. 

I find it troubling that the machine has such a flimsy containment enclosure. That part would have easily penetrated more than one person had they been in its path. 

27 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I find it troubling that the machine has such a flimsy containment enclosure. That part would have easily penetrated more than one person had they been in its path. 

1/16 inch isn't all that flimsy.   Did you see the size of the vise that was broken?

They can't design again every possible failure.   

Figure that the jagged chunk of metal that went flying off weighed close to a pound,  if not more,  moving as fast as a slug from a. 45 ACP.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

1/16 inch isn't all that flimsy.   Did you see the size of the vise that was broken?

They can't design again every possible failure.   

Figure that the jagged chunk of metal that went flying off weighed close to a pound,  if not more,  moving as fast as a slug from a. 45 ACP.

1/16" won't stop a .22 caliber long rifle.

At 11000 rpm the linear velocity assuming a 7.8 inch radius was about 760 fps.  The issue was the mass of the object assuming 2 pounds it had about 18000 ft lbs of kinetic energy.

( Note: I am not a rocket scientist and my calculations could be way off but I have reasonable confidence in my numbers. )

I understand that is a tremendous amount of ke but with today's safety standards I would have expected the manufacturer to have provided a containment vessel at least capable of slowing any shrapnel down.

There are a lot of light weight composite materials that are not super expensive that while not containing the failure could have slowed the velocity enough that it wouldn't have left the containment enclosure like it had been fired from a cannon. I also wonder why the machine didn't have a safety sensor to detect out of balance loads and shut the machine down rather quickly.

WOW & Holy crap, that could of been way worse.

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Looks like a balance issue and/or the programmed cutter RPM was set to high.

OLG

Something like that will usually run at something like 700 RPM to 1000 RPM.  MAYBE 1200 or 1300 RPM if you are barely taking any material. Guy said 12,000 RPM.  I think maybe either the programmer or the machinist entered one zero too many.

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Something like that will usually run at something like 700 RPM to 1000 RPM.  MAYBE 1200 or 1300 RPM if you are barely taking any material. Guy said 12,000 RPM.  I think maybe either the programmer or the machinist entered one zero too many.

After I was able to hear the audio. The RPM was the root cause. Plus it 'threw' the counter-balance :o

You can run a fly-cutter well above 1200RPM, when let's say you are 'decking' Alum.

Never seen a 1 cuter fly-cutter like they were using.:huh:  The ones I build were at least 2 it not 3 cutters.

I would attach washers to the arms to balance the assembly.

That shop, had a full squad of Angels watching over it that day. -_-

OLG

Archived