SASS Wire Forum

need to refinish a couple of nickel cylinders

Tulsey, SASS#11236

I had the nickel come off the cylinders of a couple of nickel plated revolvers years ago because of my mistake in cleaning. I had them re-plated and apparently got a bad job and the new nickel quickly flaked off. I have looked at having the cylinders redone with Armoly or Cerakote or bluing and wonder what might be the best way to go. I find I usually shoot BP subs in these revolvers.  The nickel on the two revolvers is in ok shape except for the two cylinders and I might do the cylinder pins at the same time . Any thoughts? 

If I remember correctly it all has to do with valence shells. Nickel does not bond to steel therefore the order is steel/copper/nickel. For chorme it would be steel/copper/nickel/chrome. I would find a plating service and see what they say.

You will need to decide what color and finish you want on those cylinders before you go too far. 

For nickel plating of the best quality, that should match rest of guns, I'd go with APW Cogan.

https://www.apwcogan.com/plating-and-refinishing-prices

Cerakote will not likely be the most durable.  Regardless of what color you pick, it will stand out as "not the same" finish.  Probably the cheapest thing to do.  Many gunsmiths can do this, if I remember right.

Armaloy - no experience.  It's a chrome plate, perhaps hard chrome.  Most likely will have a color and finish that is not a close match to remaining nickel.

https://www.armoloy.com/about.html

Blue the cylinders and accept a high contrast to rest of gun.    You could ask Lonny at Run-n-Iron in Nebraska about his fees to strip and blue.  Probably the second cheapest way to go.   You would not get a lot of rust resistance from bluing, just like most revolvers have.

http://www.runniron.com/index_cowboy.html

If you want really hard finish and don't care exactly if you get a match to the existing nickel plate, how about industrial hard chrome in a silver?  That is just about the hardest finish available, it's used on tools and shafts quite often.

Several that I've heard do great work:

APW Cogan (again)

Metaloy -

Mahovsky

If you want a broad selection of choices, call Cogan and discuss the pros and cons of all the possibilities.

Good luck, GJ

You probably know to never ever use any solvent containing ammonia on Nickle.  Any pinholes in the finish will allow the ammonia to penetrate the surface and eat the copper layer below allowing the nickel layer to flake.

I use Ed's Red to clean all my firearms.  It's home made and I know there is no ammonia in it.

On 5/3/2019 at 4:06 PM, Chuck Would, SASS # 53289 said:

You probably know to never ever use any solvent containing ammonia on Nickle.  Any pinholes in the finish will allow the ammonia to penetrate the surface and eat the copper layer below allowing the nickel layer to flake.

I use Ed's Red to clean all my firearms.  It's home made and I know there is no ammonia in it.

Ed’s Red?  Homemade?  Any chance you can share the recipe?  My wife hates the smell of Hoppes and I have been trying to find a good substitute. Thanks in advance. 

57 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Ed’s Red?  Homemade?  Any chance you can share the recipe?  My wife hates the smell of Hoppes and I have been trying to find a good substitute. Thanks in advance. 

www.vkhgc.ca/documents/Ed%20gun%20cleaner.pdf

If you Google Ed's Red Bore Cleaner, you will find the link.

Archived