SASS Wire Forum

Ruger 5 1/2 barrel Vaqueros

Hot Iron Hill

The shorter barrels may be a little quicker out of the holster, but to me the longer barrels absorb more recoil and stay on target better.

I like the 4.62 length on Ruger Vaquero  but everyone likes different lengths 

I have from 3 1/2 to 7 1/2 

Birdsheads , Plowhandle , Bisley  frames

32 H&R , 357mag  ,44 mag and 45 colt 

What I shoot depends on how I feel that day.   

Smokeless or Black Powder

Sometimes cap and ball

You have to try every type of hand gun because what your buddy likes and swears by may not be for you.

Catlow

To me,  yes it is that big of a difference.  I missed way more with the shorter barrels and was slower.  

20 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

To me,  yes it is that big of a difference.  I missed way more with the shorter barrels and was slower.  

I also discovered I had fewer misses with the slightly longer barrels.

3.75” for me. I prefer the shorter barrel.   I have multiple pairs of various lengths but the shorter barrel just feel better. I don’t notice a difference in accuracy. 

Totes

Hi Hot Iron Hill,

Truth is you'll need every barrel length they make!  No kidding!  

I started with 6.5 inch Blackhawks and couldn't wait to get 4.62 inch Vaqueros and now I'm shooting a 5.5 inch CCH Vaquero with a 5.5 inch stainless Vaquero. 

It's easy to get tired of the same old stuff and you just have to try something different!  :lol:

The shorter 4.62 inch blued, stock Vaqueros are the most accurate for me but I like the looks of the 5.5 inchers.  

You have to try everything!

Mo

i have both - prefer the longer 5 1/2 after years of shooting the shorter 4 3/4  , 

never really warmed to the 3 1/2" or the 7 1/2" but i also have both , 

I've got everything from 3 1/2" to 18", but prefer 4 5/8" very slightly over the 5 1/2".

One of the fastest shooters in the game, Deuce Stevens, went to 7 1/2"ers not too long back, and says he'll never go back to something shorter.

20 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I've got everything from 3 1/2" to 18", but prefer 4 5/8" very slightly over the 5 1/2".

One of the fastest shooters in the game, Deuce Stevens, went to 7 1/2"ers not too long back, and says he'll never go back to something shorter.

Didn't he win at Winter Range or EOT with those  a couple of years ago?

I prefer the looks of the 7.5" and the way they point and feel, but for competition I prefer the 5.5".  The 4.5" have been safe queens for awhile.

I have New Vaquero’s in 3.75”, 4.62”, and 5.5” and can’t tell a diff between the 4.62” & 5.5”.  

Deuce won Winter Range with 7 1/2 Rugers.  He would have won it with 12 inch Rugers also, if they made them.  Practice what you have.  He worked for his championship.  You are going to shoot best what you believe in and works for you.  

7 hours ago, Kirk James said:

Deuce won Winter Range with 7 1/2 Rugers.  He would have won it with 12 inch Rugers also, if they made them.  Practice what you have.  He worked for his championship.  You are going to shoot best what you believe in and works for you.  

+100000

I have been doing this since 1993.  Started with colt second gen. 7 1/2" 45 colts.  Went to 4 3/4" 3rd gen 38/40's cause I could.  Now shoot 5 1/2" rnv after shooting 4.62" rugers for 6 years.  Once I grab the gun I can not really tell the difference.  My fastest time with the 5.5" out of the holster shooting at a times balloon is .49 seconds.  Very similar to my time with a 4.62" or 4.75".  The stage is not won at the draw, it is in the transition, as my friend Galvez says.  If you practice with a 5.5" you will be just as fast as a 3.5".  Just my observations.  The really fast people would be fast with any barrel length.

Cody James shoots 5 1/2 inch Rugers and SASS Kicker and I shoot 4.62.  I am also thinking of going to 5 1/2 for the same reason as Boggus Deal.  The only thing I have to get use to is the weak side draw for some reason.  

17 hours ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

I put 5 1/2” barrels on mine for the longer sight radius. They’re aren’t any slower coming out of the holster than 4 5/8” ones.

I certainly understand the quicker use of longer sight radius, but I often bump sight blade on holsters with my 4.25" in the re-holstering, is this not a problem with longer barrels?

I have heard of more and more shooters changing to 5.5" barrels of recent....and cross draw holsters.

• 2 weeks later...

The 5.5" can get your muzzle nearly an inch closer to the targets,  and whenever I miss, it's usually within an inch, so that's the right length!

18 hours ago, ChuteTheMall said:

The 5.5" can get your muzzle nearly an inch closer to the targets,  and whenever I miss, it's usually within an inch, so that's the right length!

That strangely is making a lot of sense to me this morning...

Archived