SASS Wire Forum

Recommendatons for a Light Weight SASS-Legal Revolver

Mountain Man Gramps

I'd like to get my wife interested in CAS, but she can't handle the weight of my Vaqueros very easily.  Any recommendatons for an inexpensive, light weight , low recoil revolver that is SASS-legal for someone who hasn't shot before?

8 minutes ago, Hunt Mountain Drifter said:

Ruger single six in 32 H&R mag "but not inexpensive".

Felt recoil will be more than a full size. Price will be close to a new Vaquero.

My wife started with Uberti Model P jrs in 38 special

They are about 2/3 the size of a model P

The recoil was greater because of the size of the gun and hurt her elbow.

She eventually settled on some regular-sized model P's (actually USFAs) in 38 special.

I make her up a light load of 125 grain bullet over 3 grains Bullseye, and she likes them very much.

Sometimes, a bit heavier gun is better, cuz it absorbs recoil.

Good luck in your search

--Dawg

Blackhawks have aluminum grip frames and ejector rod housings. They are lighter than Vaquero's and just as durable. Used Blackhawks are common and can be had for much less than Vaquero's

596a19d3b7415_CimarronLightningJuly2017.jpg.6974515bedefee8d20ec18c91f5fb7b9.jpg

Here are a pair of Cimarron Lightning 32 H&R and extra 32-20WCF cylinders. They are on the "22" sizs frames.  I've only shot them with light 32 S&W loads and while they are indeed light and have small grip frames, they have plenty of bark. They are also available with "plowhandle" grips.  Taylor's has the equivalent models.  Not easy to find and not any cheaper than full size.

Maybe get a pair of the new Ruger Wranglers in 22.  Get subsonic loads.   We'd let her shot them at our local match.  If she likes the game, she'll cowboy up to full size guns. 

Find someone who has a pair of Uberti Cattlemen with 4 3/4” barrels in .38 special. Load up some 105 or 95 gr bullets with 2.85 to 3.0 gr of Tightgroup powder. Nice light weight round. Guns are real light feeling as well.   Just a thought - good luck and let HER try other guns. 

40 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

596a19d3b7415_CimarronLightningJuly2017.jpg.6974515bedefee8d20ec18c91f5fb7b9.jpg

Here are a pair of Cimarron Lightning 32 H&R and extra 32-20WCF cylinders. They are on the "22" sizs frames.  I've only shot them with light 32 S&W loads and while they are indeed light and have small grip frames, they have plenty of bark. They are also available with "plowhandle" grips.  Taylor's has the equivalent models.  Not easy to find and not any cheaper than full size.

Maybe get a pair of the new Ruger Wranglers in 22.  Get subsonic loads.   We'd let her shot them at our local match.  If she likes the game, she'll cowboy up to full size guns. 

My wife shoots a pair of these in 38SP, work very well for her.  they smaller grip frame helps a lot.  i load a 105 grn bullet with 3.2 Bullseye 

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

My 9 year old shoots these. Decent guns, I got the pair for $700.

1 hour ago, Hunt Mountain Drifter said:

Ruger single six in 32 H&R mag "but not inexpensive".

My wife shoots these (stainless). Loaded with a 100 grain bullet over 2.2 of Clays recoil is comparable to my .38s loaded with a 125 grain bullet over 2.7 of Clays. That load is close to the edge though, drop down .2 grains or so and you’ll have primer issues. I bought these less than a year ago for about $1250.

26 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

My 9 year old shoots these. Decent guns, I got the pair for $700.

I just looked on GB and Cimarron Lightning are starting bid of $450 each and more. All 38 special.  There are two offerings of used pairs in 38 Specails - starting bid is $750 on one pair and $850 on the second.  I didn't see any 32s. 

Taylor's offer the 38 Special Stallion in birdshead and plowhandle grips.  Starting bid on GB $450 and higher. 

16 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I just looked on GB and Cimarron Lightning are starting bid of $450 each and more. All 38 special.  There are two offerings of used pairs in 38 Specails - starting bid is $750 on one pair and $850 on the second.  I didn't see any 32s. 

Taylor's offer the 38 Special Stallion in birdshead and plowhandle grips.  Starting bid on GB $450 and higher. 

I bought those Uberti's 5 years ago, or more. 

With respect to the .32 on GB you have to be careful how you search.  I started with a search term of 32, then added revolvers as a filter, then Ruger, then Single Six.  That got me 14 results including several Bisleys, several Birdsheads, a stainless plowhandle, and a few with adjustable sights, all in .32 H&R Mag.

Model p Jr's, lightning or my favourite 32 single sixes.

My wrists are degrading but the single sixes allow me to do gun fighter.

There has been no ruling on it yet but if it is allowed the 1862 in 380 should be good As well.

The thought of a 22 with subsonic ammo sounds promising for club shoots.   I noticed Chaippa makes a 1873 SSA in 22 or 22LR.  They sell for $190 new.  Any thoughts?

I suppose one could say there's not too much to lose by trying them out.

Someone in my local club may also have something worth trying out.

Just now, Mountain Man Gramps said:

The thought of a 22 with subsonic ammo sounds promising for club shoots.   I noticed Chaippa makes a 1873 SSA in 22 or 22LR.  They sell for $190 new.  Any thoughts?

I suppose one could say there's not too much to lose by trying them out.

Someone in my local club may also have something worth trying out.

While these revolvers are not legal for adults in SASS matches at the state level or higher, they are worth owning.  The are good for practice sessions and could be used for speed .22 side matches (we should have brought ours to the recent, 4-Corners Regional).

8 minutes ago, Mountain Man Gramps said:

The thought of a 22 with subsonic ammo sounds promising for club shoots. 

Check with the club range manager first. In any case,  it would be a great training tool.

If you are going to consider .22 single action revolvers, take a good hard look at the new Ruger Wranglers.  Great quality at a competitive price point.  There are several threads on The Wire already about these great pistols.

6 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

If you are going to consider .22 single action revolvers, take a good hard look at the new Ruger Wranglers.  Great quality at a competitive price point.  There are several threads on The Wire already about these great pistols.

Local gun shop is getting them delivered through the back door and they're going out the front as fast as they can get the paperwork done.  I think he's pricing them at $189.99.

Just get one and a brick of sub-sonic 22 ammo.  Take her to your favorite shooting spot.  Set up a couple of BIG cans. Here, shoot these up.

Here is the #1 best advice for selecting a gun for your wife.  Don't even try to pick guns out for her. Go on a shopping trip to the big gun shops, gun shows, etc and let her handle them and look over the features.  She'll come up with her own gun and be much happier with it.

Another option in 38 is to use 38 Colt ammo 

1.7grs of trail boss and a 125gr bullet has a very low felt recoil and can handle knock downs 

7 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Local gun shop is getting them delivered through the back door and they're going out the front as fast as they can get the paperwork done.  I think he's pricing them at $189.99.

Just get one and a brick of sub-sonic 22 ammo.  Take her to your favorite shooting spot.  Set up a couple of BIG cans. Here, shoot these up.

Here is the #1 best advice for selecting a gun for your wife.  Don't even try to pick guns out for her. Go on a shopping trip to the big gun shops, gun shows, etc and let her handle them and look over the features.  She'll come up with her own gun and be much happier with it.

That’s the best advice so far.  Thanks!

+1 on Warden's advice.  I purchased a complete set of cowboy guns for my wife when she started.  She didn't like any of them.  She tried my main match guns and they became "her" guns.  I had to purchase another 1873 Uberti rifle and a new set of Blackhawks for myself.  The Marlin 1894 I bought her got sold and she took my favorite original 1897 pump.

I was worth it just to have her start shooting.  Since we now both shoot gunfighter, I had to buy her .32 Single Sixes, but when I mention selling her original Blackhawks, I get a dirty look which means that option is off the table.

Archived