SASS Wire Forum

WOT Security Cameras

I'm looking to install cameras to watch my front door and get movement alerts when away from home using a smart phone.  Wireless would be easiest but wired can happen.

My alarm company takes too long to notify the police, if they do at all.  I want to see who is there and I'll call the police myself.

Has anyone done this?

My son bought the Blink XT home security system.  Motion sensor, HD video, 2 yr battery, cloud storage with 2 cameras.  Bought it at Best Buy and is vey happy with it.   $250 regular but was on sale for 200 recently.        GW

The Arlo system is probably the most popular DIY cameras that run on a battery, connect to wifi, and do not need a monthly subscription (though one is available)

Downside is that they only work on motion, and you may miss the first few seconds of motion before it records. 

RING.com

I have one front and back door.  front door hard-wired to doorbell. Back door is a mounted on a wall. I have to bring it in and recharge it once a month or so. they work very well.. My phone chimes when its set off.  about $200 each, and its $3.00/month for cloud storage  

My son-in-law bought an Alexa and then bought Amazon Cams to go with it. I am not sure whicjh ones he bought but they look like the ones in this link.

They have motion sensing and he has the ones with speakers indoors so he can yell at intruders if he wants.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/alexa-camera/bw9b34tsvnrk4xg

Security systems are what I do for a living..... 

First of all, get yourself another security company to do what you are paying for.

Your security system should send a email directly to you to notify you when your alarm was turned on/off or is in alert, as well as signalling the monitoring company.

For cameras I recommend the ARLO PRO for you home. The cameras are completely wireless and do not use standard wifi. They record audio which can only be used in "One party States". 

Ring and others use standard wifi and are easily hacked.

Never turn your door locks into locks that hook to wifi. Same reason as above.

Do not allow audio monitoring of your home through an alarm.

Do not place cameras in private areas of your home...... That goes for any camera anytime.

31 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Security systems are what I do for a living..... 

First of all, get yourself another security company to do what you are paying for.

Your security system should send a email directly to you to notify you when your alarm was turned on/off or is in alert, as well as signalling the monitoring company.

For cameras I recommend the ARLO PRO for you home. The cameras are completely wireless and do not use standard wifi. They record audio which can only be used in "One party States". 

Ring and others use standard wifi and are easily hacked.

Never turn your door locks into locks that hook to wifi. Same reason as above.

Do not allow audio monitoring of your home through an alarm.

Do not place cameras in private areas of your home...... That goes for any camera anytime.

Thank you sir.  This was the answer I was looking for.

15 hours ago, Rooster Cognizant said:

The Arlo system is probably the most popular DIY cameras that run on a battery, connect to wifi, and do not need a monthly subscription (though one is available)

Downside is that they only work on motion, and you may miss the first few seconds of motion before it records. 

That system looks interesting.  I want to install a decent system at the cottage, and this may fit the bill.  

LL

17 hours ago, Hoss said:

RING.com

I have one front and back door.  front door hard-wired to doorbell. Back door is a mounted on a wall. I have to bring it in and recharge it once a month or so. they work very well.. My phone chimes when its set off.  about $200 each, and its $3.00/month for cloud storage  

I have the ring cameras and I really like them. I looked into Blink, Arlo and Nest as alternatives. I chose Ring due to the fact that they only record on motion (or when you request a live view) and they record for only about one minute after the motion is detected provided the motion has stopped. Ring offers the cloud storage plan for saving recordings for 60 days.  The cost of the is based on how many cameras you have. Once you get to three the plan is 100 per year no matter how many more cameras you use. And if you should get the Ring Security system, the 24/7 monitoring is included in that cost.

The data usage from my cameras under the Nest system would have been around 360 GB per month as I believe that they record 24/7.  I don't remember what Arlo does. Since I have the wired Ring Cameras, (power only) I do not have to change the batteries or recharge them, that was a plus for me.

Which ever you choose, you will not be unhappy.

Amazon owns "Blink".   I bought one for our Tahoe cabin.  I bought it this winter to check on the snow level in the parking area; so, I can call a snow removal contractor to plow only when someone is going to use the cabin.  This happens only a few times in the snow months.  It mounted it on the 2nd story to get a field of view that covers the parking area.  I never have received an alert so I know it is too far away where it is mounted.  The problem with the Blink is the only way you can share it is by giving your email address & password to others.  I don't trust those that I'd want to share it with: sister, niece, son & daughter.  It's not that they aren't trustworthy it is just that I don't want them to be able to snoop in my email account.

Archived