SASS Wire Forum

Trip to the VA for an annual (seven months over due) check up.

got a lot of things wrong with me, mostly physical, but they are going to check me out for PTSD.  I'm 77 years old and have some issues with getting around, various miseries, and other stuff.........

BUT..........

there are a whole passel of folks who are a lot younger than I am who could pass for late 80s - early 90s broken down, worn out, sick, paralyzed, mentally bad off, friendless, without families or any support, really in a bad way.

I just wanted to express my thanks to all my friends, and my little family, and to a huge number of strangers and passing acquaintances for the help and caring I've been blessed with, and to God for good genes, good parents, good luck, and good sense (well, three out of four ain't bad) and for allowing me to make mistakes and good choices, have losses, and wins and making it possible that I am where I am as a result of EVERY experienceI have ever had.  I wouldn't change a thing, not even a hangnail or broken shoe lace.

Looking back on my 68 years, there are only a couple things I would change.

1. I would have dated a couple girl friends longer and more serious.

2. my present wife would have been my 1st..... and only.

3. I would have eaten fewer hotdogs and large chocolate shakes.   My cholesterol and blood sugar

would probably be better right now.

4. I would have joined SASS many, many years earlier.

..........Widder

Forty Rod,

“There, but by the grace of God, Go I”

I learned these words from a teacher I had in high school. Her name was Mrs Stiles. I never thought much about those words until one day I was in downtown Los Angeles watching a homeless man hobble away from me after I gave him some money.

Every once in a while I say these words out loud just to remind myself how lucky and how blessed I am. I am also blessed and lucky to call you my friend.

Do not be surprised about this generation definition of PTSD. It will not be any where near where you might think. If you have ever had a traumatic experience you have PTSD. And wait till you hear what traumatic will cover. This will include being born, as we all know you end up crying. It is not the shell shock that it was from back in our days. By the time they get through with you, you will wonder how on earth? Here is a place to check things out if you have time go through everything. www.ptsd.va.gov 

Welcome to the crazy world 101. As I said take it with a light heart because it IS  this generations definition of PTSD to help get rid of us golden oldies and disarm America. Just MHO 

20 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Do not be surprised about this generation definition of PTSD. It will not be any where near where you might think. If you have ever had a traumatic experience you have PTSD. And wait till you hear what traumatic will cover. This will include being born, as we all know you end up crying. It is not the shell shock that it was from back in our days. By the time they get through with you, you will wonder how on earth? Here is a place to check things out if you have time go through everything. www.ptsd.va.gov 

Welcome to the crazy world 101. As I said take it with a light heart because it IS  this generations definition of PTSD to help get rid of us golden oldies and disarm America. Just MHO 

I had a lady counseler (long story) try to trip me up with a PTSD diagnosis. I saw where it was going and bailed on her.

13 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

...broken down, worn out, sick, paralyzed, mentally bad off, friendless, without families or any support, really in a bad way.

And those are CA voters  < grin >

I'm off to see the vampire today for my quarterly blood draw, PSA, and quarterly lecture.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I had a lady counseler (long story) try to trip me up with a PTSD diagnosis. I saw where it was going and bailed on her.

Yep, it's a scam. They are salaried with a bonus on the number of PTSD diagnosis they can get. Think I must of had the same lady you had.:lol:

I may be an exception to the rule, but I have been very happy with the services I receive from the VA.  I use the VA Super Clinic in Huntsville, Alabama and the VA Hospital in Birmingham.  Great folks, friendly and professional staff, reasonably fast service and it is all free.  This area serves over a million Vets, so I expect to wait my turn, but I have not had to wait any absurd amount of time for appts. Or treatment.  Thank You Lord!

Don't get me wrong, I have never been treated as well anywhere like I do at the VA. Best Doctors, Nurses, Staff. It was just that PTSD thing that was say we say a little different. Treated well, but they sure do try and get into your head and I ain't got much there to play with. Just ask me wife who was the Lt. me just a Sgt.:lol:

Glad to hear you are as good as can be expected, 40 and still on this side of the dirt.  Hope you have many more years to come.

9 hours ago, bgavin said:

And those are CA voters  < grin >

I'm off to see the vampire today for my quarterly blood draw, PSA, and quarterly lecture.

Quarterly?  I go every other week for a coagulation test.  I'm to the point where I have to borrow enough blood to fill a vial.

6 hours ago, Sawyer said:

I may be an exception to the rule, but I have been very happy with the services I receive from the VA.  I use the VA Super Clinic in Huntsville, Alabama and the VA Hospital in Birmingham.  Great folks, friendly and professional staff, reasonably fast service and it is all free.  This area serves over a million Vets, so I expect to wait my turn, but I have not had to wait any absurd amount of time for appts. Or treatment.  Thank You Lord!

I get excellent care from our local VA, but it's a big clinic, not a hospital.  They've "farmed me out" to some locals for Veterans Choice a time or two, but one trip to Phoenix is a memory I can do without.  Both the local clinic and the Va hospital in SoCal were excellent places.

5 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Don't get me wrong, I have never been treated as well anywhere like I do at the VA. Best Doctors, Nurses, Staff. It was just that PTSD thing that was say we say a little different. Treated well, but they sure do try and get into your head and I ain't got much there to play with. Just ask me wife who was the Lt. me just a Sgt.:lol:

That reminds me of a joke about......never mind. :P

Forty,

I've been able to check my INR (coagulation) here at home for several years. A nurse came to the house and had the kit and showed me how to do it.  Sometimes they change the frequency of testing and when I go to the cardiologist they do it there also.

Horace

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I agree and am lucky enough to have met him an chewed the fat with him. :P

This was 2011 when the Regional was at RR Bar Chimney Rock. 

Allie and Forty Rod at the Western Regional.jpg

HI THERE!!!

That seems a long time ago.For me it was about 60 pounds ago and a lot of miles worth of experience back. 

Thanks for the memories, Allie.

3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I agree and am lucky enough to have met him an chewed the fat with him. :P

This was 2011 when the Regional was at RR Bar Chimney Rock. 

Allie and Forty Rod at the Western Regional.jpg

I remember that match.  IIRC we shot with the Pink Posse.  Wasn't that the year it "snowed"?

3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Kris,

It did snow at this match as they moved up by a month to celebrate Dale Evans birthday.

Here I am with Howdy Doody and Jailhouse Jim on the day it snowed.

Jailhouse Jim, Allie Mo, and Howdy Doody on Friday lightene.jpg

So there's evidence of us there :D

19 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Quarterly?  I go every other week for a coagulation test.  I'm to the point where I have to borrow enough blood to fill a vial.

Ask your cardiologist about switching you to Pradaxa instead of Warfarin. I have two relatives on blood thinners and Pradaxa doesn't require constant monitoring and dosage adjustment like warfarin does.  Stay away from Xarelto as there is no counter agent for it. There is a counter agent for Pradaxa that can be administered if necessary. 

21 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Kris,

It did snow at this match as they moved up by a month to celebrate Dale Evans birthday.

Here I am with Howdy Doody and Jailhouse Jim on the day it snowed.

Jailhouse Jim, Allie Mo, and Howdy Doody on Friday lightene.jpg

Does Howdy still have the old yellow hat?

First time I met him Old Scout told me to look for the yellow hat.  I walked up and said, "You must be Howdy Doody".  He looked up asked, "Really?  Why must I be?"

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Does Howdy still have the old yellow hat?

First time I met him Old Scout told me to look for the yellow hat.  I walked up and said, "You must be Howdy Doody".  He looked up asked, "Really?  Why must I be?"

Yes he does.  Plus the red plaid shirt, blue jeans, and red boots.

Hey Forty Rod,  I 'm 77 too (78 in June) and I too go to the VA  (big clinic) here in Viera, FL.  I am fortunate to not have PTSD as all my VN time was at 43,500 feet in B-52Ds. Very sanitary up there. Love to meet you someday and share some tales.   Cheers,  Hoss C.

9 minutes ago, Hoss Carpenter said:

Hey Forty Rod,  I 'm 77 too (78 in June) and I too go to the VA  (big clinic) here in Viera, FL.  I am fortunate to not have PTSD as all my VN time was at 43,500 feet in B-52Ds. Very sanitary up there. Love to meet you someday and share some tales.   Cheers,  Hoss C.

Howdy, Hoss.  (I used to call almost every man I knew "Hoss", mainly because my dad did.

When I was in 'Nam the highest I got was about 4,000 feet in a hop in a C123, C139, Huey, LOCH, or one of the many planes I shagged a ride on going from place to place.  I was battalion staff tech supply officer  (Capt. OrdC) with a really good 1st LT. who stayed ay Can Ranh and took care of the paperwork crap.

Send me a message and we can move this over to email so we don't make everyone else envious of our adventuresome pasts.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'm gratified to know that some of my childhood heroes are still "alive".  Princess Summerfall Winterspring was one of my first loves.  :P  :D  

Tell Howdy  'howdy' for me.

Will do

Archived