SASS Wire Forum

How Meanings Can Change

Subdeacon Joe

Tell a American Woman that "  I'll Be by To Knock you up  in the Morning " might get Ya Knocked down right then ....

A Britt would Know to expect you to come by in the Morning for a Visit ....

Jabez Cowboy

34 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Knockers Up ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, might that be a Underwire Bra ???? ^_^

Jabez Cowboy

Nope.  It’s the title of an old comedy album by Rusty Warren.  The off-color jokes were hilarious when my junior high school classmates and I listened to the album taken from one of  their homes in secret!

https://www.amazon.com/Rusty-Warren-Knockers-Behind-Laughs/dp/B000W6TFPS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=2AJHQ3FVMS5NX&keywords=rusty+warren+knockers+up&qid=1556719838&s=gateway&sprefix=rusty+warr&sr=8-1

17 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Tell a American Woman that "  I'll Be by To Knock you up  in the Morning " might get Ya Knocked down right then ....

A Britt would Know to expect you to come by in the Morning for a Visit ....

Jabez Cowboy

Had a Brit exchange student say that to a coed in the Union Building in front of six or seven of our frat brothers.

It was a funny at the time but they married a year or so later and after a good old-fashioned Mormon wedding they went on to later have eight kids.

There was a time when being a gay blade meant you were a happy-go-lucky young man.  I think that meaning changed awhile back..........

3 hours ago, Nubbins Colt #7802 said:

There was a time when being a gay blade meant you were a happy-go-lucky young man.  I think that meaning changed awhile back..........

Quite a while back.  In the early 17th century gay had taken on a meaning of a libertine.   Sometime in the late 1800s it seems to have taken on the meaning of homosexual. In the 1920s, if I remember correctly,  homosexuals started embracing the term.  

In the movie Bringing Up Baby we have this scene 

so before 1938 it was well enough known that the writers felt enough of the audience would catch the reference that they used it.

In the early days of the Internet I had an Aussie pen pal. Once I was talking to her via instant messaging and finally said I had better get my fanny moving and go get some stuff done around the house. She answered "What did you say?!?". Realizing that something must've got lost in translation I asked her what I said wrong. She told me I said fanny, and if I was really a guy I didn't have one! :blink:

As a piano tuner it’s hard to tell a woman that her G string is missing!!:P

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

As a piano tuner it’s hard to tell a woman that her G string is missing!!:P

...but you are willing to test it, right?  :D

Archived