SASS Wire Forum

Sig m17

Trigger Mike

I always said I preferred the beretta and hated they went with a foreign company and said I refuse to buy one though I collect military weapons but yesterday I had a chance to fire one and was told by the guy who had it that he preferred it to his glock.  Upon firing it I have to agree.  I know what I am about to say is blasphemy but I am wondering if it may even be better that the 1911.  It claims to be made to withstand dirt. Has a good grip. Good balance and light trigger and 1911 style safety.  Holds 17 rounds.  Good visible sights. It is definitely better than a glock.  I fired some hornady breast cancer light loads and the rounds were tight in the lower left diamond of those stick on targets. 

A civilian version is available without a safety.  Also, grip modules are interchangeable with other 320s.  I put an X 5 grip module on mine, which comes with a weight in the interior rear of the grip, and a flared, detachable mag well. That allows the use of 21 round magazines, although the 21 round mags will work OK in the grip module supplied with the pistol.  Different feel than a 1911.  I haven't used it much, but it's easier to disassemble than a 1911.

I am not too enamored of Glocks, so yes I'll readily concede that's the M17 is a better pistol. However I've always been a fan of the Beretta M9 so I'm not sure the M17 is light years better. Incrementally yes, but not by much. I'll always be a fan of the 1911 and own a bunch of them, but in modern combat you really need better than an 8-shot pistol.

The M17 has a manual safety lever, removable plate for one of those red dot thingies, and comes in a lovely puke yellow/brown color.

BTW the current civilian M17 is a hybrid M17 - P320, sharing features of both. Last year there was also an M17 commemorative that was as close as legally possible to a real US military M17, right down to the rollmarks and packaging. They made 5,000 units and they retailed for just over a grand, and of course were snatched up by the gun flippers who are now trying to get double or even triple that on Gunjoker.

I see on page 42 of the current issue of the American Rifleman there’s an add for the M17 bb gun. CO2 powered.

$140.00!

Ever since the Glock came out I've had to resist the urge to look on the back of the slide for a blue plastic plug where you'd put in the water.

It looks like a squirt gun.  Did then, does now.

I'll keep my 1911 style guns.

21 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Ever since the Glock came out I've had to resist the urge to look on the back of the slide for a blue plastic plug where you'd put in the water.

It looks like a squirt gun.  Did then, does now.

I'll keep my 1911 style guns.

I’m with you 100%. I love my 1911!! I’ve had a  Beretta 92, I’ve had a couple Glocks and an M&P 9. Sold em all! I’ll take my 1911 any day!

Tex Jones, can you expound on the 21 round magazines on the grip it comes with?  Are there thinner grips than the one it comes with, if so then my son or daughter could use it more effectively 

3 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Tex Jones, can you expound on the 21 round magazines on the grip it comes with?  Are there thinner grips than the one it comes with, if so then my son or daughter could use it more effectively 

Sig sells various size grip modules for $40.  My P320 came with the medium size grip module that fits my hand perfectly.  I suspect a smaller grip module would fit your children well.  Best way to find out is to have them handle a P320 with a small grip frame module.

I found the Berreta M9 grip a bit too large for my hands.  For modern action handgun competition I prefer one of my 1911s.  When shooting moving targets like a Texas Star I find a light, single-action trigger gives me more precise control when breaking a shot and I get more hits.  I have less precise control with a striker-fired handgun like my P320.  Otherwise I like my P320 and plan to consume most of the 9 mm ball ammo I bought on sale over Christmas over this year in it.

My son cant shoot the beretta even with slim grips without it jamming a lot. I may try the slim grip.  I can shoot the beretta better with the slim grips from wilson but the medium grip of the sig 320 seems nearly perfect for me.  But a 1911 grip is perfect and a revolver is always wonderful 

Archived