SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron 1887 shotgun

Death rider

Hey y'all I was at the nra convention and checked out a cimarron 1887 lever action shotgun for a tad under $500 a century arms Chinese made 1887 was under $400 the action on the cimarron felt much much smoother, I can't find any reviews about the cimarron. Does anyone have this shotgun? How does it preform?

Are you sure the Cimarron 87 lever was around $500? Looks like a Chiappa 87 with Cimarron’s stamped on it and they are listed for a tad under $1,500. 

47 minutes ago, Death rider said:

Huh the sign they had at the said 500 but I the website says 1500 so maybe they had something wrong with the sign at the gun show? Or maybe I didn't read it right. The century arms is looking better all the time.

By the time you send the PW87 from Century Arms off to someone that can make it run you'll be $600 - $800 in the hole. Yeah the price tag looks nice but those things are junk.

Shop around and you can find a Chiappa around $1k and with a lot of patience an IAC in the $500-$600 range; neither are likely to run great without a drop two/action job, but they are easier to slick up and more smith's work on them(I only know of one gunsmith that will even look at a PW87). 

I have the century arms pw 87. For the money I dont have any real complaints. it is what it is. I have around $364 out the door. $21 shipping it off to lassiter he quoted me $250 plus shipping to put the drop 2 in. So i'll have around $650 in it when I get it back. I liked shooting it and had fun playing with it over the winter but without the drop two load you'll never be competitive with it. The internals were rough but smoothed out pretty easily with a couple files and a stone. The fit and finish is no where close to being as nice as the chiappa but like I said for the money I have no complaints. 

The Chinese '87 is a new offering from Cimarron, and they haven't received any yet, probably just the sample gun.  So you won't find anyone who has one.  I would expect it to be similar to the Century Arms but don't know for sure.

21 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

The Chinese '87 is a new offering from Cimarron, and they haven't received any yet, probably just the sample gun.  So you won't find anyone who has one.  I would expect it to be similar to the Century Arms but don't know for sure.

Sure would be nice if the new Cimarron 87 were coming from IAC again(or whatever manufacturer was making the 87's that Coyote Cap got imported). If they don't have the stupid billboard like the CA PW87' I'll buy one just to experiment with. Sure would be good for CAS to have a cheaper option than the Chiappa. 

35 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

By the time you send the PW87 from Century Arms off to someone that can make it run you'll be $600 - $800 in the hole. Yeah the price tag looks nice but those things are junk.

Shop around and you can find a Chiappa around $1k and with a lot of patience an IAC in the $500-$600 range; neither are likely to run great without a drop two/action job, but they are easier to slick up and more smith's work on them(I only know of one gunsmith that will even look at a PW87). 

I bought the century arms double barrel and I quickly found that It wasn't really a good shotgun for anything but target shooting.

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

My main reason for wanting a cheaper shotgun is my mom dad and 3 brothers joined sass Sunday at the nra convention after watching my first match that was on Saturday so now they need guns and my 55 year old mother can't handle twelve gauge so I can let her use my 20 gauge shotgun, and I'll buy another shotgun so there will be enough so nobody has to wait for another at the loading table.

2 minutes ago, Death rider said:

My main reason for wanting a cheaper shotgun is my mom dad and 3 brothers joined sass Sunday at the nra convention after watching my first match that was on Saturday so now they need guns and my 55 year old mother can't handle twelve gauge so I can let her use my 20 gauge shotgun, and I'll buy another shotgun so there will be enough so nobody has to wait for another at the loading table.

I understand, but trust me, get a double trigger Stoeger if you are going cheap.

I guarantee if you let folks at the match know there will be extra shotguns. I'll also note that 20 gauge usually isn't less recoil if that's the issue; you can get light load data here on the Wire, or maybe let her try someone's 97'. 

Be patient, this really isn't the time of year to find great deals, but they are out there. Most important get them to a match with whatever they have:

7 hours ago, Death rider said:

... 55 year old mother can't handle twelve gauge so I can let her use my 20 gauge shotgun, and I'll buy another shotgun so there will be enough so nobody has to wait for another at the loading table.

12 gauge Federal Winchester low-noise, low-recoil.  They will cost a little more than other factory fodder but there's nothing else with that soft recoil. 

That in a Stoeger Coach Gun will be money well spent for a new shooter. Unless you're already reloading 20 gauge to light loads, most people I talk with say the 12 low-noise low-recoil feels better than factory 20 gauge. 

If that's still too much recoil you're going to need to find someone to reload for you. 

47 minutes ago, Death rider said:

my 55 year old mother can't handle twelve gauge

All these ladies shoot 12 gauge (at least one is a great grandmother).  I can't think of any women that we shoot with that shoot a 20. 

Get a woman to tutor your mother in shotgun handling and practice.  

Another very viable option would be to just not shoot the shotgun.  At our local matches we would allow someone with good reason to skip the shotgun.  I seen one match where they called it the "Dale Evens" category.  

20 gauge is often more recoil as the guns themselves are lighter. Stick to Low-Noise Low-Recoil 12ga and stuff a recoil pad on that SxS. Also, she probably cant handle the recoil because the gun is not fit to her so she cant get in a good position to brace for it.

In addition to the correct LOP, the butt on a shotgun needs to be cut properly for the ladies. Poorly fitting shotguns are the number one reason for recoil sensivity.

Placing it properly against her shoulder is also important. Have her get some instruction from one of the other ladies that you shoot with.

Archived