SASS Wire Forum

Backblast

Subdeacon Joe

Man, that’s a lotta brass to police up.

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Ahh...Duh...

As soon as I hit "submit reply" I realized I had let a good line go to waste.  I should have said, "It's not suspended in mid air, Claude Rains is holding it."
(sigh) Always that little bit too late.

We lost a brand new Butterbar (Second Lieutenant) to the backblast from a bazooka at Ft Knox in 1970. sad. He moved behind the bazooka at just the wrong time and it cut him nearly in two at the waist. 

Imis

If soldiers understood the physics of shoulder-fired missile launchers, they’d have a lot greater respect for the backblast area.

The initial boost out of the tube is not via a rocket, but a shaped charge explosion. It directs the gas rearward, which Newton uses to push the missile forward far enough that the rocket motor can ignite without burning the soldier doing the firing. 

The shaped charge that launches a Stinger missile uses the same physics that cuts holes in armor. 

So, for those of us with no experience with these weapons, what are we seeing?  A bunch of spent brass blown back from the ground? Or another soldier hit by the blast?  Is the rifle on the left something that was leaning against some other object?  Is that a second rifle barrel mid-frame?  What's what?

Appreciated.

LL

33 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

So, for those of us with no experience with these weapons, what are we seeing?  A bunch of spent brass blown back from the ground? Or another soldier hit by the blast?  Is the rifle on the left something that was leaning against some other object?  Is that a second rifle barrel mid-frame?  What's what?

Appreciated.

LL

I suspect one of the rifles, probably the flying one, belongs to the shooter and the other to his battle buddy who is probably obscured by the dust cloud and still hanging on to his.

There's another barrel showing in the center. If there was guys holding these I'm bettin they are not happy!

The expelling charge is not a shaped charge,  but a small amount of quick burning propellant to eject the missile from the tube to protect the soldier firing from burns. There is a significant blast area to the rear. A shaped charge could have a range of sevral hundred meters to the rear for personnel and would not be practicle.

Archived