SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Hammer Safety Bar Safety

C. W. Knight # 47289L

I have been using Rugers forever in SASS and a few real Colts.  I recently purchased a pair of Uberti 1873 SASS Pro .45's .  These revolvers have a wide lower hammer, more open sight channels and reportedly special springs.  They have a two position cylinder pin safety.  They also have the a Hammer Safety Bar Safety?  By the parts diagram and write up in the instruction manual a description of this gizmo,  it appears that the hammer has a plunger pinned inside  the hammer.  This plunger  actuates a spring loaded hammer safety bar that moves into place under the firing pin,  when the hammer is put on 1/4 cock.  This thing appears to be another lawyer driven item.  Has anybody had any issues with this system?  Thank you much for your comments.  C-U, C.W.  :FlagAm:

My two Uberti gunfighters in 44-40 work fine with the new hammer.  YMMV

Like Abe said, that hammer has been around for years.  Other than "not looking right" (which is as valid an opinion as any) they generally do not cause problems.  That hammer has been replaced by the new Uberti safety hammer with a retractable firing pin which has been fine for some but caused issues for others (plenty of threads about that here on the Wire).  I'm guessing your new Ubertis were made before that change.  Maybe be glad you got that hammer instead of the newest one. :)

Many thanks to all who responded.  I contacted the vendor before purchase and asked about the firing system.  Requested no transfer bar or retractable firing pin.  Never knew about this system.  If the review is no problem then I will give them a go.  Thanks again. C.W.  :FlagAm:

CW  I have been shooting Ubertis with the two notch cyl pin for 12-13 years. The problem is not the guns. Make sure they are in the correct notch before you go to the LT and GO.

Imis

Howdy

So exactly what are we talking about?

A couple of answers seem to be talking about the new hammers with retractable firing pins.

Is this what we are talking about? I had an Uberti with one of these gizmos in it when I first started CAS a bazillion years ago. Didn't keep the pistol for very long, but that had nothing to do with this style of safety.

Hammer%20Block_zpsorybq2io.jpg

Archived