SASS Wire Forum

AWA Lightening Rebarrel

I have an AWA Lightening Rifle in 45 Colt that I would like to rebarrel to 38-40. I have contacted AWA I received one response from Russel and then silence. So can anybody recommend a gunsmith to do a rebarrel on one of these rifles?

Redman makes a barrel liner that will work very well. Lassiter can probably drill your barrel and install it.

Just now, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

Reline it! Didn’t even think of that option. 

That’s the way I’d go.

Redman makes a barrel liner that will work very well.

Not as well as TJ liners ... Post by John Taylor

Someone mentioned my name, better step in here. The difference is, Redman liners are button rifled. This is the same proses as a lot of barrel maker use for after market barrels. In this case aircraft tube (4130 steel) is used and a button is pulled through it. T.J.'s liners are hammer forged around a mandrel that has the rifling. The mandrel is about 4" long and the same aircraft tube is used, only starting with a larger size and thicker wall. The hammer forge does just what it sounds like, beats the metal down on the mandrel. This process makes a smoother rifling and in my opinion has better defined rifling. Customers say they don't lead as bad. Also it work hardens the metal a bit, come out at Rockwell 28 on the C scale which is what a lot of barrel companies are getting out of 4140 ( Douglas is still around 32).
Button rifling is quicker and the machinery is less expensive but the liners are limited to the length of machine travel. Mike says he can make a liner 10' long. This way he can cut off the length a customer orders.

48 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Not as well as TJ liners ... Post by John Taylor

Someone mentioned my name, better step in here. The difference is, Redman liners are button rifled. This is the same proses as a lot of barrel maker use for after market barrels. In this case aircraft tube (4130 steel) is used and a button is pulled through it. T.J.'s liners are hammer forged around a mandrel that has the rifling. The mandrel is about 4" long and the same aircraft tube is used, only starting with a larger size and thicker wall. The hammer forge does just what it sounds like, beats the metal down on the mandrel. This process makes a smoother rifling and in my opinion has better defined rifling. Customers say they don't lead as bad. Also it work hardens the metal a bit, come out at Rockwell 28 on the C scale which is what a lot of barrel companies are getting out of 4140 ( Douglas is still around 32).
Button rifling is quicker and the machinery is less expensive but the liners are limited to the length of machine travel. Mike says he can make a liner 10' long. This way he can cut off the length a customer orders.

For what we do either one work very well. 

Yul - take this into consideration; the gents on the ASSRA forum have stated that they say when they sell any of the old classics, Ballards - Stevens, etc, if they state a trashed bore is relined with a TJ - the price they get is almost top value to one with an original excellent bore

Yes, I agree with you, ask any Cowboy Shooter the difference between a TJ and a Redman liner - the don't have a clue which liner is a better quality

4 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Yul - take this into consideration; the gents on the ASSRA forum have stated that they say when they sell any of the old classics, Ballards - Stevens, etc, if they state a trashed bore is relined with a TJ - the price they get is almost top value to one with an original excellent bore

Yes, I agree with you, ask any Cowboy Shooter the difference between a TJ and a Redman liner - the don't have a clue which liner is a better quality

Yep and if someone had asked about the old classics I would have recommended a TJ liner.

Archived