SASS Wire Forum

Gettin a little antsy!

Been really busy after I got home from the Double R Bar shoot in California last month. Got all the seasonal irrigation equip out and set up, irrigation water going and got all the garden equipment limbered up. Now I'm thinking about our Alaska trip next month! Have a cabin rented for 28 days near Soldotna on the Kenai. Have booked 3 fishing and clamming trips and ready to reserve a rafting jaunt. Airline booked & car rented. All I have to do now is pack and get there. Only bad thing is I will miss our Revenge of Montezuma annual shoot in June, first time in 15 years!

One less thing on my bucket list.

Tuesday...leave tomorrow early am. Probably won't get much sleep dreamin about all the salmon & halibut I'm going to catch!

I hope you have a great time, Big Sage. I have never been to Alaska. It’s on my list too.

A friend of mine went for a month long fishing trip. He highly recommended a mosquito net hat of some type like the one in the link here:

https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/68997?productId=1155397&pla1=0&mr:trackingCode=3259AF02-BFE7-E511-80ED-00505694403D&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=m&mr:adType=pla_with_promotiononline&qs=3124992&pcd=SAVE25&gclid=CjwKCAjwwZrmBRA7EiwA4iMzBOIzRT37JalSrkcE2dZnyW-sY17_7aVcwW-7Dba0ZDyFaTSMyzkZeRoCnQMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pn=pd&skCatId=68997

Don't get carried away ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, by the bugs or you'yr a goner ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, they'll suck you dry like the Tax Man ....

Bear repellant starts with the .45-70 pushing a stout 400 grain bullet at 2,000 FPS ....

Jabez Cowboy

Know what you mean. The entire month of June will be gone on a camping trip. Headed to the Teton mountains and will follow the Snake river to the Pacific. Bucket list thing and have not been on a trip like this in over 40 years. Last vacation was in 94 to New Orleans, so yep, kinda excited.

Alaska is the only state I haven't been to, so I've got an Alaskan cruise booked for September. :) And right smack in the middle of it, my youngest daughter's first baby is due - my 6th grandchild.

Sage you will be a little early for the Kenai.  Pat and I go every year for the past 20 sometimes more than once.  We have a daughter that lives about 2 1/2 miles down river from the hiway bridge on the Kenai.  Another lives on the Eagle River.  Hope you don't meet the son-inlaw  on a professional basis he's the game warden.  Bears may be a concern to some but they are more interested in the fish or other food you leave laying around.  Give them the right of way and you will not have many problems.  If you are going to carry a noise maker a short gun is better than a long gun, the bear often comes from behind you or at an angle that doesn't give you much time.  Remember you're  fishing and watching the water not the bank  and they are surprisingly quite.   A long gun if you have it on you at all takes too long to get into action.  Unless you're very confident in your marksmanship dump the large caliber short gun that you will probably take off after a week.  A  light 22 LR shot into the water at your feet will startle the bear with the noise and make you look larger as the water splashes up around you.  Do you more good than a 45-70 in the hind quarter that I'm told can ruin a bears sunny disposition.  I have spent 20 years fishing during the peak of the runs and see more than a few bears, my advice, avoid the bear when possible fear the mother moose and the Japanese fisherperson.  

Oh I almost forgot visit the "Moose is Loose"  ask anyone in town they will direct you, the best Apple Fritters maybe on the planet certainly in Alaska with a nice hot cup of coffee which they also serve, you will be ready for a Kenai King.   

5 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

We expect frequent reports.  I think Alaska has WiFi, doesn’t it? :blink:

Yep and I'm taking my laptop

Great weather right now....I was in Fairbanks yesterday and over the weekend, just drive down to Anchorage today.  Stopped by Denali a bit as well to enjoy the weather and saw some moose and caribou, but can only go to mile 15 without being on one of the buses.  Mosquitos not active yet as still snow and ice in some of the water up north anyways, but I am sure they are coming.  I did a 4 mile hike with no gun outside of Fairbanks and I’m still alive :)

Safe travels!

Been here 2 days now. A little cool, rained a little this am on our way to Homer. No bugs yet!

First px on our way south to Soldotna from Anchorage. Second is from the deck on our cabin.

alaska 038.JPG

alaska 045.JPG

Mind the Griz.

And the train. :lol:

Pat raises his glass for a toast.

“Here’s to hoping for sunny days and beautiful weather for your vacation, Big Sage.”

Beautiful photos. Keep ‘em coming...:)

Looks like the beginning of a great time!

Had a nice day in Homer. A bit crowded as it is a destination for locals for the big 3 day weekend. We are going back later and are hoping to visit the Kilcher Homestead from Discovery Channel fame. We also visited the area we are going fishing next week. Raining today, so am drinking a brewski or 2 along with some smoked salmon and watched the Indy 500. 

I was TDY at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson last August for a Red Flag Exercise. Took 2 fishing charters, 1 for salmon and didn't catch anything worth keeping and 1 for halibut where I dragged a 90lb beast off the ocean floor. Beautiful country up there, enjoy your time. 

Took a drive up the Kenai  this morning. Saw lots of wildlife....4 moose, one had a newborn calf, caribou, black bear and a huge brown bear. Lots of great scenery. Getting ready for salmon & halibut fishing.

Jealous...haven’t seen a brown up there yet.

have you been to the Alyeska in Girdwood I think it was?  That place is awesome...took the cable car up top for dinner before it was nice.  Double Musky near there was good too.

Here was near Fairbanks by Angel Rocks just before you arrived. 

72618A9E-33A4-469D-93F8-C9388BAA3D95.jpeg

Got more snow here last night than you have up there! :blink:

56 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

getting a little rain almost every day here.

Mind the big skeeters. I hear up there two will make a meal.

Everyone says a little early for them as it's been colder than normal. Hopefully they"ll wait till  we leave.................

Here are a few more pictures1362445598_Alaska002.thumb.JPG.7106e756b8a5c27a0cee77d476278ff6.JPGes....going fishing for halibut & salmon tomorrow. First picture was taken at 10:00 PM, still another 1 1/2 hours til sunset; Next  is a Caribou on the road to our cabin, next a road sign, last one is a bald eagle from our deck.

Alaska 005.JPG

Alaska 007.JPG

Alaska 016.JPG

Dead moose - 168

Dead people - ??

Fished for Halibut and Salmon yesterday and did really well. Caught limits and my wife Joyce caught the biggest a #50 Halibut. Weather beautiful and a lot of great eating will be brought home. 2 more weeks to go!!!!

alaska 036.JPG

alaska 035.JPG

Going for a drive into some of the backcountry tomorrow. Clamming on Wednesday during a minus 5' tide. It is a 25 mile boatride across the bay to the clam beaches. 

Had some outstanding halibut cheeks for dinner tonight.....yummy!

My wife and her friend are up north as well. Currently in Denali, planning on halibut fishing, bear pictures and the disabled veterans senior games in Homer I think. She gets to play for 24 days and I get to feed the chickens, dogs and horses. Next time for me:(

have fun 

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Drove on a bunch of roads in the Wildlife Refuge and saw some really pretty country. This cow moose has a calf, but it was being camera shy and stayed in the shadows.

6-3-2019 Alaska 003.JPG

6-3-2019 Alaska 010.JPG

6-3-2019 Alaska 015.JPG

Archived