SASS Wire Forum

Danger Close

Utah Bob #35998

I dare say 9 out of 10 Americans have no idea the troops from down under fought in Vietnam. :angry:

14 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I dare say 9 out of 10 Americans have no idea the troops from down under fought in Vietnam. :angry:

I'd say 9 out of 10 millennial's don't know we went to war in Vietnam. 

History is rapidly becoming… history.

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2019 at 2:20 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Bob, you need an "L" in the subject line.

And, thanks. 

Yup

On 4/30/2019 at 9:09 AM, Dantankerous said:

I think they do. But they don’t know when, why, or where it is.

5 minutes ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

Is that on Prime or Netflix? Where can a cowboy enjoy this film?

Looks like it’s not available yet. You may have to fly to Oz.

On 4/29/2019 at 6:17 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Me and my bunkmate were adopted by a Aussie Canberra bomber crew from Phan Rang or Phan Thiet (never could get them straight.

Great guys and the whole base was good to us except one old Warrant Officer who said every time Australia got a good war going the Yanks came along and screwed it up so the Aussies couldn't get any credit.

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Looks like it’s not available yet. You may have to fly to Oz.

I will keep an eye on NETFLIX, STAN and the other usual suspects here and let you know if it turns up

Slightly off topic but...

A friend who was and is active Army reserve and has spent time in Iraq in combat with troops from other countries told me the Aussies he has met are crazy. Crazy dangerous amazing fighting men. They kill everything. And they do it well.

8 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Slightly off topic but...

A friend who was and is active Army reserve and has spent time in Iraq in combat with troops from other countries told me the Aussies he has met are crazy. Crazy dangerous amazing fighting men. They kill everything. And they do it well.

Based on the ones I saw in Vietnam I would call them enthusiastically aggressive.

The pilots were definitely crazy though. :lol:

On 7/30/2019 at 6:39 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Based on the ones I saw in Vietnam I would call them enthusiastically aggressive.

The pilots were definitely crazy though. :lol:

The Australian military earned four Victoria Crosses in that war: Two of which were posthumous: Warrant Officer II Kevin Wheatley and Major Peter Badcoe.

Two others survived to be presented with the decoration: Warrant Officer II Rayene Simpson and Keith Payne.

W.O. Simpson was also a winner of the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) while W.O. Payne is a member of the Order of Australia (OAM)

There have been VC awards to others for their actions in the Sandbox as well.

Good soldiers.

18 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

No apologies necessary. ;)

30 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

The American in Saigon had drill sergeant brass on his patrol cap.  *rolls eyes*

Wasn’t that just enlisted cap brass, inappropriately on a baseball cap?  Do they still use it?  Nothing special for DIs?

FB9C707E-6966-4A40-9D98-1FD92EBB4F69.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Wasn’t that just enlisted cap brass, inappropriately on a baseball cap?  Do they still use it?  Nothing special for DIs?

FB9C707E-6966-4A40-9D98-1FD92EBB4F69.jpeg

Used on ASU service cap and Drill Sgt campaign hat.

1308B334-57F5-4BD8-843E-D5D1AE45DF74.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a review from the Coy Comd.

I had to cut and paste it from the Army Newspaper.

The man at the centre of the Battle of Long Tan believes the battle scenes in Danger Close are excellent.

Former OC D Coy, 6RAR, Lt-Col Harry Smith had tears in his eyes seeing his soldiers shot and killed in graphic scenes as they gallantly fought off overwhelming odds, with the enemy launching successive suicidal attacks on them.

“I am proud of my men and those who supported us, and to see the battle portrayed on the big screen, albeit after 53 years, is indeed wonderful,” he said.

“The movie demonstrates the courage, gallantry, mateship and determination of my company in fighting off odds in the order of 20 to one.” Lt-Col Smith was pleased how Echuca-born actor Travis Fimmel portrayed him in the movie.

“Travis plays the part well, despite not wearing a hat in many scenes and using his pistol when he ran out of ammo with his Armalite, which did not happen,” he said. “I did not fire a pistol, and I was the only company commander in 6RAR to carry an Armalite rifle, and use it.” Lt-Col Smith encouraged Australians to see the film.

“The Australian public should go to see the movie as it demonstrates what all our battalion soldiers went through during the long war,” he said.

“Many back in Australia were not aware there was a war going on, let alone understand the nature of the combat.

“I had 68 first intake national servicemen in my company of 105, with no previous combat experience, but determined to show they could perform as well as Regular Army soldiers in war.

“The four-hour battle was brief, but was the most savage combat action of the war – I lost 17 men.

The enemy lost hundreds.” Lt-Col Smith said there were things which could have been done better in the film.

“The APCs racing to the rescue, which did not happen because the enemy had withdrawn by the time they arrived 300m south of our defensive position, defeated by the magnificent 3500 rounds of artillery support and 10,300 rounds fired by my machine gunners and
riflemen,” he said.

“Similarly, the colourful flaming napalm drop by three Phantoms was in pouring rain and low cloud and was dropped on the enemy’s rear areas.

“The way in which Lt-Col Townsend [CO 6RAR] was portrayed with full-colonel badges and a heavy build, despite being called ‘Mousy’, could have been better.” Despite this, Lt-Col Smith believed the public would appreciate the movie about the iconic battle of Long Tan.

On 4/30/2019 at 9:09 AM, Dantankerous said:

You are probably correct, sir. 

• 2 months later...

Danger Close is available on DirecTV pay per view tonight!

Archived