SASS Wire Forum

Did you ever have....

High Spade Mikey Wilson

one of those shooting days when nothing just seems to go right. I had one of those yesterday. Start off stage one with 5 pistol misses (4 on the second pistol alone :blink:). I have no idea what I did wrong, but it must have been the way I grabbed it, and was holding it, as I had no pistol problem the rest of the match. Stage two was ok but not great. Stage three was going well then pffffft... last shotgun round (reload) had no powder in it (that never happens to me) .....now I have to shuck the SxS empties, blow the smoke out of the barrels to make sure the wad cleared, reload and shoot the last target all the while the seconds just clicked by. Stage four has a swinging pistol target that you had to shoot 5 times. I had no problems hitting the swinging pistol target all 5 times, but then I miss a stationary pistol target on round 10. Then stage five was a total brain fart with a P on round 4 (rifle) that I knew better not to do but shot the wrong target anyway. However......I still had fun!

Been there and done that.  At a major state match I had 9 out of 10 clean stages, and you could have timed me with a sun dial on stage 10 as I was shooting so S L O W, aiming SO CAREFULLY on center of targets, and still managed to have a miss with my rifle which I rarely miss with.  Most of my misses are usually with my pistol.

It's always something -

First stage day a'fore yesterday called for two on first target, three on second, three on third, and two on fourth. 2-3-3-2 I shot it 2-3-2-3... clean match other than that. B)

My 9 year old "Skrap P" had one of those days Saturday at the Four Corners Regional (Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico). He was having his best match ever and was going into the last day ahead of his older brother, hoping to beat him to finally win the buckaroo category. Until this stage... 

Yep, he somehow forgot to load his rifle. Poor guy!! If it wasn't for that, I think he would have been in the top 10 overall (his brother got 7th overall). 

Archived