SASS Wire Forum

FOUND! Starter Lever Action Rifle

Irish jack

Good evening folks,

I have a dilemma...I was recently given 500 pieces of .38spl brass and 500 pieces of .357 brass.  The problem is that I don't own a .357 pistol or rifle and my only .38 is a 1942 Victory.  I also don't own a lever action yet.  The obvious solution here is to get a Rossi 92 or something similar!  I do have a ton of 45lc and 44mag brass for my pistols though - so now economics comes into play.  I definitely need a lever gun, and I cast and reload for either 45lc, 44mag, or 38/357.

Does anyone here have a blue collar, ugly, but functional lever action rifle that needs a new home?  Any of the above pistol calibers would be fine, but 38/357 would be preferred.  Barrel length between 16-20 inches.  No Henrys please.  I don't like loading tubes.  I would even be OK with a gun that needs a little work to smooth out.

I can pay cash, PP, MO, and have the following trade bait:

Italian BP 1861 .44

Ruger 10/22 in Tapco stock with budget scope

Ruger Single Six .22/22mag

Glock 23 Gen 3 .40

Buying a gun based on what brass you have in stock is like buying a car based on what octane gasoline you have in the can in the garage. 

Go to your local club matches. Use the guns that all the cowboys are going to offer to let you use to try out. Believe me, they all have safe queens that they would like to get rid of to make more room. You should EASE into this sport rather than jumping in as jumping in can be very expensive.

I'm not "jumping in" to anything here, my friend.  I was poking fun at myself for sitting on a pile of brass, and using my good fortune as an opportunity to buy a rifle that will be used by me (and my two sons) as a fun range toy.  Now....what do you want for your Rossi that you upgraded from?

Howdy,

One place to check is with Steve Young.

He just might have a ready to go rossi 357.

Once you get one, don't sell it.

I have sold my 92 only to buy and have another tuned.

That was sold to a needy beginner and then I bought another.

Rossi lever rifles aren't perfect but they hold up and make decent

backup or main rifles.

This is probably the worst time to buy as pards are looking forward to 

summer matches.  

There will be one for you somewhere.

Best

CR

18 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

summer matches.  

Best

CR

Darn it, I hadn’t even thought of that!

Contact Steve Jones (Nate Kiowa Jones) in I believe Burnett, TX first.  Steve@stevesgunz.com

He has handled the sale of numerous guns for me and just might know where to get a great deal on any gun you want to purchase. He also works on guns other than Rossi, but is known as the Rossi Man and has done fantastic work on some of my guns that needed tweaking.

2 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

summer matches.  

That explains a lot! never even thought about it. I've been watching for an inexpensive backup rifle. passed on many since I was short of funds. I've had the money in hand the last couple weeks and havent seen much of anything available. 

Gub Broker had some new Rossi 92's in 38/357 carbines awhile ago for $475.00 plus shipping. Take a look.   I bought one for newer shooters to use at one of the monthly shoots I attend and it has been used often.  Diamond Curly

My 15 and 13 year old sons and my 11 year old daughter all like to shoot.  It'll get passed around plenty.  Bump.  Still looking

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Irish jack said:

Thanks for the offers but I found a nice little 16" Rossi the other day.  Thread closed! :D

Im pretty sure a   16" will Not  hold 10 + rounds 

What caliber is it?

One of the limiting factors in this sport (to be competitive) is being able to hold 10 rounds in the tube (not including one in the chamber which is against the rules).  I have an 18 inch Uberti that can hold 10 .45 LC shells, and I would have preferred it be 16 inches but it can't hold as many slugs.

If you don't care about the clock, you could fire a few, load a few, but that Rossi loading gate can be nasty so you will need to scallop the spring a bit and smooth the sharp parts out.  YMMV...

I have a Rossi Puma 16' barrel and it holds 10 .38 special at 1.50 OAL with no problems & slicker than owl crap.

JRJ

Archived