SASS Wire Forum

Tang sights, mid-range versus long-range

Philosopher

Shopping for a tang sight for my Pedersoli Sharps in .45/70, barrel length 32".

Looks like the mid-range sights offered by MVA, Lee Shaver, et al will allow me to shoot out more than far enough for side matches, BUT is there any reason NOT to just get the long-range version of these sights? Any downside to the longer staff?

Thanks for any helpful words of wisdom.

50 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Down side is that the long range will definitely hit the brim of your hat. Depending on how you wear your had the mid range may or may not hit your hat brim.

Never have had that issue on our two Shiloh's with MVA, L/R tang sights. :huh:

OLG

I had the same quandry a while back (mine is a Pedersoli Boss Sharps- 34") and got the Lee Shaver Mid Range- rookie error- should have got the Long Range.

I have fired mine to 600M (not much left on the staff to go further) and while its unlikely I will shoot any further why wouldnt I get the LR when its the same price:blush:

I am in the same process, 2 MVA Long Range Buff Soules on 45-70's going to get another MVA but this is going on a 38-55.  Would the long range be "overkill" for a 38-55?  How far out can I expect the 38-55 to reach ?  The 45-70's deserve and have the long range, but I am thinking hard for the mid range.  

Any input or thoughts would be appreciated

N.C.

1 hour ago, Noah Cash said:

I am in the same process, 2 MVA Long Range Buff Soules on 45-70's going to get another MVA but this is going on a 38-55.  Would the long range be "overkill" for a 38-55?  How far out can I expect the 38-55 to reach ?  The 45-70's deserve and have the long range, but I am thinking hard for the mid range.  

Any input or thoughts would be appreciated

N.C.

If you get the LR you have 2 sights that you can interchange if you break/damage one.

* All vernier sights are graduated in Minutes of Angle (MOA)

* There are 3 'basic' verniers with MOA's needed for shooting specific distances: 

** Schuetzen Distances = 50 to 200yds ... any lead bullet up to 50 caliber

** Mid Range Distances = 200 to 600yds ... generally any lead 30, 40, or 50 caliber bullet

** Long Range Distances = 700 to 1200yds ... generally any lead 40 or 50 caliber bullet

MOA's on each specific Sight

* Schuetzen -  up to 88 MOA elevation - 44 MOA windage

* Mid Range - up to 189 MOA elevation - 44 MOA windage

* Long Range - up to 289 MOA elevation - 44 MOA windage

So, pick the vernier sight depending on the MAXIMUM Distance your caliber rifle will be shot to ... for single shot rifles, Bolt Gun Rifles excluded with jacket's and smokeless powder

How far out can I expect the 38-55 to reach ? 

Noah, with a Uberti HiWall, Ideal 375166, 325gr,  (clone is on Accurate Molds), 42gr KIK 1.5Fg ... 50 rounds shot consecutively with no tubing or patching ... Rams at 500 meters back to the Chickens at 200 meters went down with accuracy - with minor adjustments of original sight setting

On a calm day, the Ideal 375166 will also shoot accurately at 600yds.  I also shoot the Ideal 375166 at 1000yds on a 48x82" buffalo silhouette ... with A Lot of Sighters! At this distance, you really need a 40 or 50 caliber bullet - not one out of a 38-55

Optimally,  a 38-55 is a 300yd caliber rounds

• 2 weeks later...

We both have Shiloh Sharps 45/70's with MVA long range Soule sights,  The 38-55 is hers, for out to around the 300 Yd mark, and the 45/70's for the longer range stuff.  I think I will get the mid range MVA Staff for the 38-55.  The Sight that came on the rifle would not stay on a piece of paper at 25 yards.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, John Boy said:

Noah, with a Uberti HiWall, Ideal 375166, 325gr,  (clone is on Accurate Molds), 42gr KIK 1.5Fg ... 50 rounds shot consecutively with no tubing or patching ... Rams at 500 meters back to the Chickens at 200 meters went down with accuracy - with minor adjustments of original sight setting

On a calm day, the Ideal 375166 will also shoot accurately at 600yds.  I also shoot the Ideal 375166 at 1000yds on a 48x82" buffalo silhouette ... with A Lot of Sighters! At this distance, you really need a 40 or 50 caliber bullet - not one out of a 38-55

Optimally,  a 38-55 is a 300yd caliber rounds

Excellent information!   Thanks-  SCJ

Just invested in a Lee Shaver long range deluxe tang sight for the Pedersoli. Also bought one of Lee's front globe sights to complete the ensemble.

Can't wait to get them mounted and tested out.

Thanks to everyone for the sound advice, AND for helping me spend my money!

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Just invested in a Lee Shaver long range deluxe tang sight for the Pedersoli. Also bought one of Lee's front globe sights to complete the ensemble.

Can't wait to get them mounted and tested out.

Thanks to everyone for the sound advice, AND for helping me spend my money!

Hope you confirmed the tang sight was 'plumb' from side by side.

You want the sight staff to angle towards the muzzle 2*-3*.

Leave the rear sight set at '0', and at 200yds on a very calm day. Move the front sight to get a 'no-wind zero'.

Get a note book and keep a log of temps and sight settings at the ranges you use.

Take a hard look at a Hadley Eyecup.

OLG

Thanks OLG! I figure by the time I get the sight installed, zeroed, work out some accurate loads I just MIGHT be ready for the Winter Range side matches!

Oh, this version of the sight came with a Hadley already installed.

Archived