SASS Wire Forum

Conversion cylinders...

Knarley Bob

Am thinking on a set of conversion cylinders. I have a pair each of Pietta 1858 & 1860 pistols. 44 cal. Would the proper cylinder fit both pistols?

If you have experience with them ya or nay, please, chime in.

Are they even legal?

Thanks,

Knarley

An 1858 cylinder will not work on an 1860, and an 1860 will not work on an 1858. However. the 1860 will probably work on an 1851(.44)with some fitting.

The size and the ratchet teeth are different between the 1858 and the 1860/1851.

Hi BOB.  No.  The cylinders would not fit both.  The "Star" or "Ratchet" are very different for a Colt Pattern Gun and a Remington.  The front to back dimensions of the cylinders are also quite different.

They are QUITE LEGAL and very popular.

Looks like Tyrel beat me to the draw.  Yup

Tyrel .. The Pietta 1851 .44 (never never) is built on the standard Pietta 1860 frame.  The only difference in the .44 guns is the Barrel pattern.  The Navy being octagonal with a Navy pattern lug.  The cylinders and Barrels will interchange with just a tiny bit of rubbin-n-buffin.

I should have mentioned they are both "Colt"  reps, and both Pietta.

The ones I am finding (Cylinders) have only 5 chambers.....

If not interchangeable not a problem, just regrettable.

I am in error, sorry, it's an 1851 Navy and an 1860 Army, both of the same Cal. .44 and Colt.

1 hour ago, Knarley Bob said:

I should have mentioned they are both "Colt"  reps, and both Pietta.

The ones I am finding (Cylinders) have only 5 chambers.....

If not interchangeable not a problem, just regrettable.

I am in error, sorry, it's an 1851 Navy and an 1860 Army, both of the same Cal. .44 and Colt.

If they are 1851 and 1860 then yes the cylinders will probably be interchangeable, you make have to work on the hands a little more on the 1851's.

Based on memory both the Kirst and Howell .45 cylinders are now 5 chambers, you can use either brand as the both put a spot between the chambers to rest the hammer.

The big difference between the brands is that Kirst's have a loading gate and Howell has a removable back plate.

Howell used to make a cylinder with 6 slanted chambers, but I think they discontinued them.

Seems like I've seen another maker on Facebook that's making a Thuer conversion.

2 hours ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

Is your 1851 .44 a steel frame revolver? I believe all of the conversion cylinders state that they are not to be used on a brass frame revolver.

Yes, all are steel frames.

Just got off the "Taylo's" site, and yes they should work with either gun. Yippie Skippy!

And to those thinking of a brass frame revolver...DON'T.... Don't even own one, to avoid disappointment and future regret, wait till you can get a steel frame revolver.

Trust me on that one!!

Would one need to use pure lead bullets? Or would Cast WW. be ok.

Archived